You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Drawn - The Painted Tower

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
Codger

Default Drawn - The Painted Tower

After reading Andrea's review, I was compelled to buy the game. Actually, it was free, because I had a few spare BigFish game credits lying around. But I would have bought it anyway.

Absolutely the best casual adventure game produced to-date! The graphics are superb. And, while Andrea somewhat implies that many of the puzzles aren't all that challenging, I would disagree. I have found more than a few to be quite challenging.

I did find two problems with the puzzles though. One is that you can skip the puzzle entirely after an approximate two-minute attempt at the solution. That is oh-so-tempting, when the option is battling the puzzle for another fifteen or twenty minutes. Particularly because the game is so interesting that one really wants to get past this puzzle, and get on with the game!

The second problem is with the narrator/hint-giver Franklin. Most often hints to a puzzle's solution come in two or three stages. Once a hint is activated, it takes almost five minutes for the next hint to become available. Many times the solution is clear after the first hint. But if it isn't, the wait is far too long. You can minimize the game and do a google search for the solution quicker than Franklin's next hint becomes available.

I don't know that there is a middle ground. In a standard adventure game, if you needed help, you would resort to a WT. But, this is a casual game.

There are some hidden object elements, but they are well-integrated into the current puzzle. Nothing like find the guitar in the Russian train station.

I do wish the game had incorporated mapping. Backtracking to get objects would not be a problem if it didn't require the re-loading of screens every other step of the way. Not a major problem. But if the designers wanted to make this "truly" casual, they might have looked at the way the Murder Mystery Club games used mapping. I.e., once you've been there, pull up a map to go back.

There was another thread that discussed how to introduce someone to adventure games. This would be an ideal introduction.

I wonder whether anyone else has enjoyed this game as much as I have.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
J.H
Frak.

The trailer looked promising but then I saw the ugly etch'a'sketch type GUI that seems to be common place in must casual games. Personally I can't stand casual games but I'm yet to play Drawn.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
Banned User

This is hilarious. I just beat the game and was going to start up a thread.

Nothing about it was short of Amazing. This was the best Casual game I have ever played! This is proof that such games are capable of being on par if not better than normal adventure games. The game pushed me forward, never making me feel overwhelmed or bored.

On top of amazing visuals, this game had an a simple yet amazing story that really pulled me in.

This is the very game that will convert all haters.

It is this game, Nancy Drew Dossiers, and Women's Murder Club that truly prove that Casual Gaming is more than just cheaply made iSpy games.

Plus, calling the GUI an etch'a'sketch is a ruid and ignorant remark. If you haven't played the game, don't insult it. Your ignorance will force you to miss a miraculous game.

In regards to puzzles. I have to agree, they were absolutely easy, and the two minute skip is a temptation. Yet, I didn't skip any, and I found most of them fun and engaging. This game is a AAA product that you want to squeeze every penny out of. So I don't feel bad about how smooth the game went for me. Honestly, i prefer it that way anyways. It makes me feel like I am playing a game, while also watching a movie.

I think it has already been stated, but I agree about the loading times. It can get slightly annoying. Thankfully, it didn't matter that much. The amazing visuals and powerful music overshadowed it.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
J.H
Frak.

lol it's not rude or ignorant it's just what it looks like to me.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:52 PM   #5
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapoco View Post
lol it's not rude or ignorant it's just what it looks like to me.
How is judging a game based on what it looks like not ignorant?
Old 09-24-2009, 03:28 AM   #6
J.H
Frak.

I'm unsure where I judged the whole game on this? I just don't like playing a game with ugly (imo) GUI, it doesn't mean I'll never play but it puts me off right away. Simple.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:57 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Can everyone agree to disagree and move on?

If the two of you (Mapoco and kadji-kun) have anything more to discuss concerning this, take it to PM please.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:19 AM   #8
J.H
Frak.

Yeah sure it's no problem I just felt I was misunderstood. The art of the game is however one of the most original I've seen in an adventure game for ages.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:20 AM   #9

I have it installed but didn't get the time to jump in yet. This game is definitely on my "to play ASAP" list.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:14 AM   #10
Ace Attorney

Send a message via AIM to shezcrafti

I totally agree with Andrea that Drawn is "the game" that could change your mind about casual titles. That's certainly the case for me, as I typically turn up my nose at anything labeled "casual."

I started playing Drawn last night, and I am loving every minute of it so far. It's like being drawn (excuse the pun) into a beautiful storybook. I've never played anything quite like it before. It's sort of a cross between a traditional adventure game, a puzzle game, and I suppose a hidden object game, but it's all done very well, and blends together seamlessly. I agree that the plot is very flimsy, but I find myself not caring so much about the story as I do just enjoying the scenery and listening to the music.

The puzzles are all very clever, too, and pretty unique. There is one in particular that I purposely did not solve immediately because I enjoyed getting it wrong so much!
Spoiler:
The clocktower puzzle where you have to create the Prince and give him 3 objects to face the Knight, Dragon, and Princess--very amusing results.

I can't wait to go home after work today and finish it up.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:24 AM   #11
Codger

I admit to using the "skip puzzle" option a few times. This game has definite replay value. The next time I play, I will give all the puzzles the attention they deserve.

Last edited by rtrooney; 09-24-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:23 PM   #12

The painted tower was a plesant suprise for me. I'm not a puzzel person by nature but I didn't skip any of the puzzels nor did I use any of the hints that the game offered.
The only thing a would like to complain about was that the game was a bit short. Besides that it was one of the most entertaining games I have played in a while.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:49 PM   #13
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillseeker View Post
The only thing a would like to complain about was that the game was a bit short. Besides that it was one of the most entertaining games I have played in a while.
It is what it is. A, self-described, casual game.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:47 AM   #14

Default Drawn : The Painted Tower

This is "adventure-lite". A game with more original ideas than I have seen in a long time. Puzzles are on the easy side, but not trivial (and especially the 3 disk one where you need set totals!). Great graphics. Engaging story. The only downer is that it is short (will depend on your play speed but I recon on 12 hours or less without puzzle skipping or hinting etc...).

Well worth the asking price. It comes heartily recommended.

This is the only casual game I've ever replayed immediately to explore anything I missed first time round. The dragon/knight/princess puzzle (mentioned earlier in this thread) is a gem which is worth the game price on it's own.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:08 PM   #15
Ace Attorney

Send a message via AIM to shezcrafti

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukpetd View Post
This is "adventure-lite". A game with more original ideas than I have seen in a long time. Puzzles are on the easy side, but not trivial (and especially the 3 disk one where you need set totals!). Great graphics. Engaging story. The only downer is that it is short (will depend on your play speed but I recon on 12 hours or less without puzzle skipping or hinting etc...).

Well worth the asking price. It comes heartily recommended.
I heartily agree. I just completed the game last night. I would guess it took me between 8-10 hours to complete it, over 2 nights. I sunk a lot of that time into the 3 Disk/Total puzzle--yikes! That one was pretty rough, and was my only real sore point. I had to ask good 'ol Franklin for some clues on that little piece of work, and it was still difficult. I also agree w/ Andrea that the ending sort of comes out of nowhere, and is over before you know it. But I would totally be up for a Drawn 2!
Old 12-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #16
Roman5

Absolutely superb! I just finished painted tower and dark flight. Gorgeous graphics, great music, great puzzles, very nice narration and stories. The puzzle mentioned with the 3 dials foxed me and I used a walkthrough to help me with that in painted tower, the rest I was fine with. There were 3 puzzles in dark flight which I found really difficult. The candle puzzle and painting the kings face. I had to give up on those after a while and used the skip button which I hate doing. The cello puzzle was not very good imo, and if you've already done it, you'll possibly agree.

But the magical quality of the two games is wonderful, and so enchanting. Reminds me of keepsake. What's so good about drawn is that it never gets boring, and there's a lot of harry potter style visual and audio effects coming at you one after the other which keeps you engrossed in the game. According to the end of dark flight there's more to come as it says 'to be continued..'

Old 12-22-2010, 02:00 AM   #17

im just starting dark flight, its just easy enough for me, who is struggling with the normal noncasual adventures, and i agree with the presentation and music and atmosphere which really comes together in a very engrossing and enjoyable package.