You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Return to Mysterious Island 2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2009, 12:46 AM   #1
Senior *female* member

Default Return to Mysterious Island 2

Anybody else playing it? Only $6.99 for downloading a brand new game, that's what I call a bargain!

I was looking forward to visiting the lush island again and I'm not disappointed. The inventory system is still great fun, some of the puzzles are harder. Switching to playing Jap is okay, but he's far too humanized to be called a monkey, he even understands Mina's questions...
Old 07-17-2009, 01:03 AM   #2
Caffein Queen

I finished it a couple of days ago and had a blast with it
Not sure I liked the ending though...

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 07-17-2009, 01:08 AM   #3

i really liked the first one. but i dont wanna sign up for YET ANOTHER download site to get it, i already have accounts for:

impulse, gog, gamergate, direct2drive, steam, adventureshop. its getting to be quite a hassle.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:15 AM   #4
Caffein Queen

Too bad - because BigFishGames have the best customer service I've ever met.

Besides, you "don't" have to sign up for good - you can always discontinue right after the purchase with just a click

Old 07-17-2009, 03:49 AM   #5

Default Big Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslilo View Post
Too bad - because BigFishGames have the best customer service I've ever met.
On the downside is that you must install a custom - and potentially unsafe - downloader. The download is very, very slow compared to other shops. And finally you can't make a backup of the file (like with Steam) and the game-manager is extemely basic.
The prices are on the other hand almost laugh - how do they do it?

Maybe it's time for a download shop test/review/rating?
Old 07-17-2009, 07:28 AM   #6
Part-time Optimist

I like that BFG stores a record of your purchases forever and you can re-download them any time you want.

Playing Now: Shadow of Destiny
Recently Finished: Emerald City Confidential,Dead Reefs
Old 07-17-2009, 11:07 PM   #7
Caffein Queen

I don't think the downloader is slow compared to others.
It's usually pretty fast for me - only had one or two instances where I hit a busy server, but that's it

Old 07-17-2009, 11:45 PM   #8
Adventure Dude =]

I'm enjoying it so far. I'm stuck though and I really don't want to cheat and look. lol. =]

Last Game Finished: Memento Mori, Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal

Games Recently Finished: Art of Murder - The Hunt for the Puppeteer, Secret Files 2, Still Life 2
Old 07-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #9

This one is definitely a must-buy on my list, but I'm unsure if whether or not I'll end up getting a membership at Big Fish. I agree with tastebud on this; so many accounts spread across numerous download sites, regardless of how awesome they are, can quickly turn into a hassle. I checked out Big Fish's website and the selection does indeed look great, complete with solid support and killer prices. So I could see myself turning to them and relying on their service for a while... until another similar service pops in with a new bunch of exclusive titles. It's like... it never ends. And before you know it, your games are all over the place.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:32 PM   #10
LA-S-LE

It's an ok-game, though almost everything was taken from RtMI. The monkey business is an interesting feature, and the very Verns part of the game is great. Don't have any idea about the download though; we have the game in stores for about a month
Old 07-18-2009, 09:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Type View Post
Don't have any idea about the download though; we have the game in stores for about a month
For the time being, the game is exclusively available at Big Fish. At least, I can't presently find it anywhere else.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:06 AM   #12

It's true. Even Microids and Kheops online stores don't have it yet.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:07 AM   #13
Adventure Dude =]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Type View Post
It's an ok-game, though almost everything was taken from RtMI. The monkey business is an interesting feature, and the very Verns part of the game is great. Don't have any idea about the download though; we have the game in stores for about a month
Interesting. Where bouts do you live? I've yet to find it in stores myself.

Last Game Finished: Memento Mori, Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal

Games Recently Finished: Art of Murder - The Hunt for the Puppeteer, Secret Files 2, Still Life 2
Old 07-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #14

It seems that there was already a russian release available that we didn't know of:
http://games.1c.ru/mysteriousisland/

However if you go on the fourth link with cirillic "gde kupiti"-"where to buy" you can see that it's not available at 1c online store.

But english release is definetly only available at BigFish.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:23 AM   #15
Senior *female* member

Well, I finished it and loved it. Pretty long game, much longer than the first one. I will replay it in the near future, if only to get a higher score than 700 and to find out
Spoiler:
what to do with that turtle
A couple of puzzles were too difficult for me. That tile puzzle on the beach, for instance. So many possibilities to arrange the tiles, I could not see the forest for the trees and I do feel that Kheops often makes it too hard to figure out the principle underlying their puzzles. But Kheops does make terrific games!

About the ending...
Spoiler:
Both endings are sad, one even more than the other. I've played several recent adventures this year without any rosy fairy tale endings, and I must say that I like this new trend of more mature realism, where the protagonist has to make a difficult choice. Of course there have always been lots of adventures with bad endings, but usually that means you've done something wrong and you're supposed to keep trying till you find the one and only Good Ending.

Last edited by Fien; 07-20-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:15 AM   #16

I haven't finished it yet, so... I hate your second spoiler!!!

And for the first spoiler... Dunno. Tried many things on it, nothing worked. At least not yet. We'll see. I plan to replay it and make a complete list of points. An idea of putting those "sidequests" inside the game simply rocks.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #17
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
I haven't finished it yet, so... I hate your second spoiler!!!
Sorry about that. I have deleted the words "no real spoiler".

Quote:
And for the first spoiler... Dunno. Tried many things on it, nothing worked. At least not yet. We'll see. I plan to replay it and make a complete list of points. An idea of putting those "sidequests" inside the game simply rocks.
A complete list would be great.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #18
LA-S-LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
It seems that there was already a russian release available that we didn't know of:
http://games.1c.ru/mysteriousisland/
Yes, it's a Russian release. We get plenty of games nowdays officially released before the world gets them (the same with Still Life 2 and Gobliiins 4, for example). Don't know about online store though, they are not popular here. And not without a reason, I'm afraid.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:18 AM   #19
tsa
Playing character

I just finished this game, and I think it is one of the games I had the most fun with this year. It's much longer than the first one, as Fien said, and allmost all the puzzles are logical and can be done in more than one way. I like that a lot.
Spoiler:
The endings were sad, however. Mina has a bad fate, the poor girl. She tries so hard to get off the island, and in the end it is all in vain. It almost brought tears to my eyes.

I didn't really get the resemblance Nemo talked about in the game. Is Mina a descendant of him?