You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2009, 05:55 AM   #1

Default Still Life 2

Still Life 2 was just recently released on the Mac and I'm rather interested in picking up a copy, however I've never played the first game and was curious how necessary this would be to enjoy the sequel. Can I pass it over with impunity, or should I wait until I have a chance to play the first title, whenever that might be?
Old 09-19-2009, 07:04 AM   #2
scapegoat sculptor

To be fair you do not have to play the first part to be able to enjoy the second one.

However, vice versa, playing Still Life 2 first will reveal a lot about the first part and very likely you will deprive yourself of a very impressive gaming experience - and Still Life (the first one) is actually what the fuzz is all about.

Considering the quality of those two games I would warmly recommend you to play the original 'Still Life' first as the second part is in my opinion more of a nice add-on to a truly amazing narrative experience.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #3

I agree with Tramponline. Very necessary to play the first one first -- they're like two different games. I've played and replayed Still Life 1 over the last five years and never get tired of it -- it's almost like a good novel. The atmosphere, the characters, the plot, the suspense, the artwork -- it's brilliant.

However, I just got halfway through Still Life 2, and I'm giving up. I have a very high tolerance for frustrating puzzles, controls, characters, plot elements, writing, but this went way beyond my limits with every one of them. Very disappointing.

IMHO, if you play the second one first, not only will it reveal things about the first one that might be confusing, but I fear it might keep you from wanting to play the first one, which is one of the best adventures of the decade.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottford View Post
IMHO, if you play the second one first, not only will it reveal things about the first one that might be confusing, but I fear it might keep you from wanting to play the first one, which is one of the best adventures of the decade.
And conversely, if he plays the first one first before moving on to the sequel, it might very well end the series on a sour note! Ah, the dilemma of disappointing sequels. But I have not played it myself yet... so I ought to do that if I want to back up my claims.

All I can say is that the first game is very good. I actually didn't care too much for the gameplay aspects and about half of the puzzle design drove me a little mad, BUT... as an above poster said, the story is fantastic and I can see myself likely returning to it in the future, just to soak it all in again. No one says this of the sequel.

Sounds like you're a Mac user, which might make playing Still Life hard. Do you have an Intel-based mac? You could run Windows natively through Boot Camp, which gives your system dual-boot capabilities, or you could use an emulation utility like Parallels Desktop. I highly recommend Boot Camp if your computer is capable of running it, and is what I use (so good day, fellow Mac user!). Without it, I wouldn't be able to have gotten into the majority of adventure games I love.

Still Life is also out for the original Xbox.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:13 PM   #5

my impression on the two games:
the first still life was mainly made to tell a story, the second still life was mainly made to sold games
Old 09-20-2009, 11:41 AM   #6

I too would suggest you first play through the original game before jumping into the sequel.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
Codger

I would suggest that you play Still Life 1 first, and then not play SL2 as it adds nothing to the original story. (And, IMO, it's a bad game on top of that.)
Old 09-20-2009, 05:03 PM   #8

Default Awwww Man

I was so looking forward to Still Life 2. That was before I played the demo. I just wasn't that into the new chick. So I thought I'll wait awhile before I get it. Now after all these reviews, I'm sickened to learn that it's not worth it. How sad! The first game ... well the story mainly...was so good. This happened to Dream Fall although I liked it but it wasn't the same. I sure hope they don't mess up Kate Walker's game the way the messed up all the other ones. Why do they do it? Honestly, I'm asking why? Anyone?
Old 09-22-2009, 05:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by renna View Post
Why do they do it? Honestly, I'm asking why? Anyone?
I can tell you exactly why. There are several departments in game development. One department codes the code another draws the graphics, sound, dialogs, storyboard, and so on. Unfortunately they never ever meet and debate about the whole project. Above that there is the time presser for the deadline. Sometimes they even don't have the time to 'test play' thoroughly.

For me, Still Life 2 was a big disappointment. Interesting subject but very bad developed. There is no suspense.