You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gabriel Knight series, worth getting into at this point?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2009, 11:27 PM   #81

Gabriel Knight will always hold a special place in my heart, not only because of its own merits but it was a very original Christmas present; I didn't even know of its existence so when my parents got it for me (I must've been in my middle teens at the time) I was just overwhelmed by it. Even know, when I think back, it's little things like that which make my parents so great.

Oh, that narrator! Great robotic voice, that one. Sounds like a drowning astmatic chain smoker at times. I'm guessing the voice actor was a New Orleans local, brought on in an attempt to add to the atmosphere and authenticity?

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 09-22-2009, 04:39 AM   #82

I have heard allot about Gabriel Knight, but i have never played it. I was playing the SNES and PS1 when this game series was released. And didnt have a PC until much later, when Half Life first came out, and wasnt playing these P'N'C games untill early 000's. I think i might take the plunge on GK3, the graphics dont look too bad.

Can anyone reccomend where to get a new reliable copy of GK3, that works with newer PC's, shopping online ?
Old 09-22-2009, 07:37 AM   #83

The Gabriel Knight series is worth getting into at ANY point. I still consider Gabriel Knight 2 one of my favorite all-time adventures, and probably the all-around best FMV game of any genre.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:53 AM   #84
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Writer View Post
Gabriel Knight will always hold a special place in my heart, not only because of its own merits but it was a very original Christmas present; I didn't even know of its existence so when my parents got it for me (I must've been in my middle teens at the time) I was just overwhelmed by it. Even know, when I think back, it's little things like that which make my parents so great.
Funny, pretty much the same happened to me with GK3
Old 09-23-2009, 02:33 AM   #85
Banned User

Going to finish up another playthrough of GK1, then going to move onto GK2, which I still haven't beaten yet. Its such a unique game compared to the other GK's. It was sort of a put off, but I WILL BEAT IT THIS TIME!
Old 10-07-2009, 01:36 PM   #86
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
all these fictional multi-generation conspiracies just make me want to scream "history doesn't work like that!" (for "history", substitute "society", "politics", "organizations", or just "people" as appropriate).
I just read a review of a new book on conspiracy theories (Voodoo Histories by David Aaronovitch) that includes a quote by Richard Hofstadter that made me think of this thread:

"A distinguished historian has said that one of the most valuable things about history is that it teaches us how things do not happen. It is precisely this kind of awareness that the paranoid fails to develop."

(The rest of the article is interesting but marred by an evident neo-con bias. This review has a more even-handed discussion.)
Old 10-08-2009, 05:39 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko View Post
Can anyone reccomend where to get a new reliable copy of GK3, that works with newer PC's, shopping online ?
I also want to know the answer to your question. Actually, it would be great if some company (technologically speaking) updated the series because it sounds like such an excellent classic.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)