You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2010, 01:57 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by terhardp View Post
This game is definetely high on my "looking foward to" list. The graphic and the settings are absolutely gorgeus and the story seems interesting, though I doubt it will be in the range of Broken Sword series. I've also read something about action sequences; though I'm a traditionalist when it comes to adventure games, if this will be something like in Fahrenheit, I'm not complaining.

Since I've played both Secret Files games, I know that the graphic and sound would probably be the best features of this game, while story and puzzles may lag behind. But I'm certain that the fun factor will be guaranteed.

Now, all we have to do is wait patiently. AFAIK the release date for this game is not yet fixed, and like all the adventures which are released in german first, there is probably going to be a long waiting for the english-voiced version.
Probably and yet...I think it's gonna make more sense in English even though it's a German game. One of the few things that kinda bothers me with Chronicles of Mystery is that they have this French archeologist as their lead character but she keeps talking in American English. Even if she spoke with a French accent that would've made a difference for me but this way it's like I'm watching a movie that's dubbed. And I think a Brit who speaks German will have that effect on me even more
Old 01-30-2010, 03:57 AM   #22

I absolutely agree with you on "Chronicles of Mystery". "The Tree of Life" was IMO a huge improvement on the first CoM game, so one can start to be harsh on the details. So I agree it's a pity about the accent of the main character. BTW, the thing that bugged me even more, is the fact that voices in the game seemed like a bad MP3 encoding. I am a musician and a hi-fi fan so I'm a great nitpicker, but I still think it was substandard.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 01-30-2010, 05:46 AM   #23

Quote:
I absolutely agree with you on "Chronicles of Mystery". "The Tree of Life" was IMO a huge improvement on the first CoM game, so one can start to be harsh on the details. So I agree it's a pity about the accent of the main character. BTW, the thing that bugged me even more, is the fact that voices in the game seemed like a bad MP3 encoding. I am a musician and a hi-fi fan so I'm a great nitpicker, but I still think it was substandard.
Hey thanks for the mini review ! I'm gonna continue playing tomorrow after not playing for three weeks ! Hope to finish it soon. I really love this game. Have been fascinated by the Mary Celeste mystery since I was 12 so that helps a lot. Have to say this game is pretty acurate so far.
btw: as a musician you must've noticed that the tune that's playing a couple of times in the Venice-section is *identical* to the SF: Tunguska opening theme.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
btw: as a musician you must've noticed that the tune that's playing a couple of times in the Venice-section is *identical* to the SF: Tunguska opening theme.
I can verify that there are some music pieces that originally came from Secret Files: Tunguska. Especially the passage in the scene when we see
Spoiler:
shadows of Nina's father on his knees and the hooded figure holding the hand above him.

I'm am very discerning when it comes to film and game music, but the music in "The Tree of Life" generally had a nice background effect, so the fact that isn't entirely original didn't bothered me as much as I thought.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III

Last edited by terhardp; 01-30-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:17 PM   #25

Quote:
I can verify that there are some music pieces that originally came from Secret Files: Tunguska. Especially the passage in the scene when we see
Spoiler:
shadows of Nina's father on his knees and the hooded figure holding the hand above him.

I'm am very discerning when it comes to film and game music, but the music in "The Tree of Life" generally had a nice background effect, so the fact that isn't entirely original didn't bothered me as much as I thought.
Exactly, the opening scene
Spoiler:
Green bubbling liquid with main titles, Nina's father at work, hooded figure appears, open window, and then the segment you describe

The theme plays throughout that scene hence the term "opening theme." I'm not to concerned about plagiarism or anything since on the end credits of both games you see the name "Langer" mentioned in the music department.
And yes, I too think the game has a good musical score. Of course I can't say for sure yet as I'm not even halfway through. Will start playing the Cairo segment tomorrow
Old 01-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #26

Yes, the attractive locales are one of the best features of "The Tree of Life". But I think that the biggest advance comparing to the first game was made in the terms of puzzles and depth of the story.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Yes, the attractive locales are one of the best features of "The Tree of Life". But I think that the biggest advance comparing to the first game was made in the terms of puzzles and depth of the story.
Oh yeah, definetely. Way better story and puzzles(so far)
Old 05-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #28

Official website:

http://lost-horizon.deepsilver.com/
Old 05-12-2010, 09:40 AM   #29

This is a great website. I really liked the original interactive SF: Tunguska website and this brings it all back. Screenshots look really good. Is there a release date yet?
Old 05-13-2010, 12:47 AM   #30

Attractive website for sure, but the game itself is even more! But we'll probably have to wait for english version for quite some time.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:30 AM   #31

Animation Arts has updated the old character models (left: old one; right: new one):

Comparison video:
http://www.adventure-treff.de/specials/video.php?id=603

Some new screenshots:

Old 06-17-2010, 12:00 PM   #32
J.H
Frak.

Wow, great screenshots.

I think the new look of the male character looks too soft, he has Justin Bieber hair in the new model lol.

This game already looks visually stunning though I can't wait to play it.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #33

Wow great screenshots indeed. But I'm kinda pissed off about the new faces. I mean they improved something that didn't really need improvement. Instead they could've moved on with the release. Bugs and bad dialogue that's important but the graphics were great as they were so it's kind of an exercise in futility in my opinion.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:08 PM   #34
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

This game has been #1 on my list since it was announced. I remember first seeing the screenshots and going whoa! The backgrounds have a mix of 2d-3d to them.. really detailed and intricate.

Looking forward to playing this quite a bit.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:13 PM   #35

New characters models: the difference is subtle, yet apparent.

The screenshots looks mouth-watering. I imagine this game will be great fun (once it comes out).
Old 06-18-2010, 10:25 AM   #36
Flatulent Philanthropist

Default Lost Horizon preview on Adventure Point

I recently had the privilege (and I mean privilege), of being given the opportunity to play and preview a preview copy of Animation Arts' exciting new Adventure game, Lost Horizon.

I honestly think this is going to be a cracker!

Anyway, if you'd like know a little more about this game, find out what I thought of it and see a few fairly exclusive screenshots, take a look here.

http://www.adventurepoint.co.uk/#/preview-lost-horizon-1-of-3/4541765275

Regards,

Jacques (aka Gelert).
Old 06-18-2010, 10:44 AM   #37
Adventure Game Researcher

Looks promising. One of my all time favorite stories.

Still hoping to find Shangri La........

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 06-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #38
Flatulent Philanthropist

Hi Christian.

Yes. I even enjoyed the movie ............... despite the singing! Yuck!
Old 06-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #39
Adventure Game Researcher

Congrats on the pre review....and the chance to see this title..from my study of all the related past similar themed games, it looks like they did a great job here.. very promising.

My Version of Shangri La came from the 1937 movie which i had the good fortune to see in its entirety before it was lost ...to the tides of time....

From Frank Capra and Ronald Coleman.....

here is a restored almost complete versoin:

Spoiler:
http://go2.wordpress.com/?id=725X1342&site=catherinemarie.wordpress.com&url =http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.google.com%2Fvideoplay%3Fdocid %3D-3378504833323735810%26q%3Dlost%2Bhorizon%2B1937%2B online%26ei%3DU8GKSJS0AoH2qgLeiOi4CA%26hl%3Den&sre f=http%3A%2F%2Fcatherinemarie.wordpress.com%2F2008 %2F07%2F26%2Fmovie-lost-horizon-1937-the-story-of-shangri-la%2F

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs

Last edited by Christian IV; 06-18-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian IV View Post
Looks promising. One of my all time favorite stories.

Still hoping to find Shangri La........
It's possible I've said this before 'cause it's one of those little anecdotes that I love telling over and over again.

They actually did find Shangri La, or so they think at least. Explorers discovered e deep gorge in the middle of the Himalayas where the most beautiful greenery blossomed because it was beneath the snow level. Some people believe this is what inspired Hilton to create Shangri La

Of course the fabled, harmonious realm of Hilton is much nicer and I doubt that's what they'll find in Lost Horizon but here you go. Funny little anecdote right?

Also, great review! I was allready anticipating this game hugely since I first saw the image(hadn't even had a title back then) in the SF2 manual two years ago(has it been that long?) and now I'm really bumping all over the place in exitement. If they delay it I'm gonna flip! Could this finally be the game that gives people back their trust in AGs?