You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Question about the Last Express

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #1

Default Question about the Last Express

Hi everybody I am new, not new to the adventure game genre =P.
though.

I have been playing The Last Express for quite some while now and I am enjoying every minute. I am playing at a slow place, rewinding time a lots of times to pick up every conversation that takes place.
I am also trying out all the possibilities in the game, like if I don't have this item in the inventory how will the game react to this. It can be a bit tedious sometimes and I had a question regarding this:
What happens if you don't get the egg on the 2nd day out of the cupboard. Kahina takes it I presume but how does this affect the game? Will it turn in a bad ending or is it just a way for the game to "force"(the game seems to do this a lot, like it doesn't matter if you get the briefcase it ends up in your compartment anyway) you on the right path and in the end it doesn't matter?

A second request is if there is a guide that tells you how to get every ending?
I'd like to see them all. =) I've only gotten one now, the one where you don't give Schmidt the briefcase.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:14 PM   #2

Welcome Origami.

Sadly, I never played The Last Express but many members here have; this game is pretty much a cult classic. So I'm sure you'll get tons of answers.

And soon.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:44 AM   #3
Senior *female* member

Hi Origami, always a pleasure to meet another TLE fan.

The briefcase with the gold only shows up in your compartment when you've left the egg there for Kahina to find: in fact, she pays you for services rendered! I think (not entirely sure) that also happens when you don't take the egg from Tatiana's compartment. But if you put it in a safe place where Kahina can't find it (do you know where?) you won't get the briefcase and you'll be in trouble. Big trouble. You'll have to outsmart Kahina, Schmidt, Milos

There are several ways to end the game in Vienna, all of them worth playing. I don't want to spoil your fun, so just ask if you want more info. You can only continue your journey
Spoiler:
when you are in possession of the egg and have shown the gold to Herr Schmidt.

You can find lots of walkthroughs on the Internet, but the Official Strategy Guide for The Last Express by Rick Barba tells you everything you want to know, including every single ending. You can probably find it on the Internet.

Have fun!

PS: Deadwolf, you really should play one of the best adventures ever.

Last edited by Fien; 08-07-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:17 AM   #4

Ha you're dutch too ^_^.
Amusingly you covered every combination except the one I was wondering about
What happens if you don't get the egg? Kahina steals it, but after that how does it affect the game?

And also....if you, like you said, leave it in your room and Kahina gets it and leaves the suitcase behind what happens? So basically what happens if Kahina gets in possession of the egg? Do you have to get it back later or will it lead to a bad ending?

Thanks in advance and thanks to the people that have replied.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:05 AM   #5
Senior *female* member

Like I said, you need to have the egg in your possession or the game will end in Vienna. Do you REALLY want me to spoil the different endings for you?

Spoiler:
1. No egg + you do not show the gold to Schmidt = you get killed by Milos and Vesna.
2. No egg (Kahina finds it and no, you cannot get it back) + you do show the gold to Schmidt = Kronos is happy and you leave the train in Vienna with a heavy briefcase.
3. Egg + gold = Kahina threatens you, you have to give either the gold or the egg to Kronos or Kahina will kill you. I'll let you figure out this one for yourself.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:19 AM   #6

Ahh cool got the one with Milos, gonna check out the other combinations too.

I am not that afraid to get bad endings spoiled that are near where I am at the game. As long as twists aren't spoiled to me and the final ending
Old 08-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
PS: Deadwolf, you really should play one of the best adventures ever.
So I've heard! But I don't have it in my collection and I rather suck at buying stuff on eBay. So I'm still hoping the game will eventually makes its way to a download site like D2D or GamersGate. I'd definitely love to play it!
Old 08-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Definitely keep your eyes on it, DeadWolf

Sometimes, I feel like The Last Express should take UAKM spot in my Top 10, and it isn't even a Sierra game!

Seriously, though, a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful adventure.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 08-07-2009, 01:02 PM   #9

Man I love this game. So well done. Cinematic and epic.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 08-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
So I've heard! But I don't have it in my collection and I rather suck at buying stuff on eBay. So I'm still hoping the game will eventually makes its way to a download site like D2D or GamersGate. I'd definitely love to play it!
You're American, aren't you? Americans can play it on Gametap.
Oops! I do know that Montreal is in... eh... Canada. But I don't think that makes any difference.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
You're American, aren't you? Americans can play it on Gametap.
Oops! I do know that Montreal is in... eh... Canada. But I don't think that makes any difference.
Yes, I'm French Canadian actually. Vive le français!

But I'd prefer to buy the game the standard way (i.e., not via a subscription-based service). Thanks for this excellent suggestion, though.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:04 AM   #12

is it illegal to ask for someone to send me an ebook of the official guide?
Old 08-08-2009, 07:05 AM   #13
Senior *female* member

A remarkable request, in more ways than one.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:25 AM   #14

I have a new question.
On CD2 when you are nearing the stop Wels, Rebecca and Sophie are having a conversation in the smoking compartment. They talk about why they were invited and the Boutarels not. But at one moment Rebecca mentions that Madame Boutarel told her why she and her husband are not sleeping in the same compartment and that it has something to do with Francois, but just then another conversation kicks in and Rebecca says "Excuse me" and she's off to the restroom(I suspect). My theory is that either she spilled some tea on her dress or something, or the two conversations overlapped and the first one was ended and that the second conversation is triggered by the train leaving Wels, so my oppertunity of hearing the first conversation is to be lucky and have them going to the smoking compartment sooner.

But if someone can confirm that this is the way it's supposed to play out then I can stop wondering whether I am missing an interesting conversation or not. =)
Old 08-14-2009, 02:41 AM   #15
Senior *female* member

As far as I know, conversations don't change or stop just because another conversation is starting in the same room.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:00 PM   #16

no but it's 2 conversations of the same characters.

I think I am in bad luck. Sometimes I hear Rebecca finish more of the sentence and sometimes she interrupts herself earlier and starts the Excuse me thing.

BTW: I am trying to come in contact with Veroncheek ^_^
Anyone know where she went?
Old 08-16-2009, 06:42 PM   #17

New question =)

What happens if Tatyana catches you getting the egg and she takes it with her? What ending will that get you?
I mean...Kronos will not have the egg?...or will he?
Old 08-16-2009, 11:11 PM   #18
Senior *female* member

I once played that variation in order to hear Tatiana's indignant outburst. But I haven't continued it all the way to Vienna. According to the Guide it counts as if you haven't stolen the egg, but it says nothing about Kronos. I guess he will have to leave without it.

Why don't YOU play it and tell us whether Kahina still manages to find it?

PS: Vel! Where are you?
Old 08-17-2009, 03:58 AM   #19

Okay I will.....but the thing was I tried to play out one outcome and I ran into a problem. I was playing out: Don't get the egg and the suitcase, but somehow I never got time to show August the briefcase.
They would just keep sitting in the concert room although I arrived in Vienna.
That's when I didn't feel like trying other outcomes and thought it's better to ask here. But I will try it today.

Also...what guide are you referring to?
Old 08-17-2009, 04:42 AM   #20
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origami View Post
Also...what guide are you referring to?
The Official Strategy Guide which I already mentioned. The book you wanted us to turn into an e-book for you. (You can still buy it at amazon.co.uk)