You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2009, 06:52 PM   #21
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
And, I'd like too add, Scribblenauts, which is basically a clever, ingenious puzzle adventure.
Err... yeah, I'll keep quiet on that until the feature I'm working on goes up.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:46 AM   #22
Easily amused

I'm over 15 hours into the first game and love it. Lots of puzzles, some more challenging than others, but all do-able. I was surprised at how much story there was and all the characters, but the dialogue was not too overwhelming.
The village has lots of places to check out, so I was pleased with the exploration value. The controls are all via stylus, so extra simple even for me. I can't think of anything to improve on with the second game.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:56 AM   #23

Add me to those who are enjoying playing the first Professor Layton on a DS Lite, bought mostly for this game and adventure games. I'm not very far into the game but liking it more every minute ... and every puzzle I solve.
I also liked playing a casual hidden object game, which I played first for the practice and learning curve since this is my first console, Mystery P.I. Portrait of a Thief.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:16 AM   #24
Filmfreak

*bump*

I had to bump a thread that's over two years old to talk about Professor Layton...

DS games really aren't all that popular here it seems... Pity, some of the best adventure games in recent years have been DS games (as proven by the 7 inclusions in the top 100 even though Layton and Phoenix Wright were only granted one game each)...

Anyhoo, I just finished the fourth Layton game, so here's my cross-post from the "Last finished game"-thread:

Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call - 3.5 / 5

Like the games before it: a series of puzzles with a decent-to-good story wrapped around it.
All in all, it's just more of the same, really. But I honestly couldn't tell you which Layton game is the best.
The puzzles are of equal quality in each game and the stories are farfetched each time.
The Unwound Future had by far the most farfetched plot, though, so I might say that one's the worst of the four, but then again, that had the Layton love-interest side-plot to make up for it.

Let's just say "they're all the same" and leave it at that...
Old 01-19-2012, 01:45 AM   #25
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
DS games really aren't all that popular here it seems... Pity, some of the best adventure games in recent years have been DS games (as proven by the 7 inclusions in the top 100 even though Layton and Phoenix Wright were only granted one game each)...
I don't even know what a DS is.. some kind of console, I think
Old 01-19-2012, 04:20 AM   #26

The first Professor Layton was my favorite - I have all four. All are very good, but the first to me was a true classic. I have 108 games on my Dsi XL and enjoy playing all of them. Despite being an 8 year old system there are plenty of new releases planned for it - including the major adventure game release "Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle" For those that love a great story RPG - devil Survivor 2 is coming out as well.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:50 AM   #27

I've played the first two and enjoyed them both.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:55 AM   #28
The Quiet One

There was a time where I had absolutely no interest in getting a DS... Period! All that changed, however, when I got into anime, read all the praise for games like Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, 999 Hours, Ghost Trick etc., knowing that they're story and character driven adventures, and read the 'Top 100 Adventures' countdown. The latter was the final straw...

So now I have one - a DS Lite - along with Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, which I'm currently working on and enjoying, a list of loads of titles I want to get, and I'm currently waiting for Professor Layton and the Curious Village to arrive, which I've bought today!

I can't wait to sit downstairs by the fire solving the game's puzzles with the stylus!
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #29

^
Congrats!
Old 01-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #30

A DS Lite is a good way to start. I've seen them as little as $59 dollars. They play any region's games and also GBA games too.

I just finished "Apollo Justice" and I simply loved that game. Great characters and I enjoyed the plot of the story too.

Now I'm playing the Miles Edgeworth - I just started it so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that its as good as Apollo Justice.