You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2009, 04:47 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83
Default Professor Layton

I noticed that a discussion on the game has never been made, and given that a sequel is on its way, I figured it out that we Layton fans can have a thread to discuss the two games...

Yes, we Layton fans. I've started the game a week ago and I'm totally adoring it (I'm at Chapter Eight): it's certainly true that the puzzles and the story bear almost no connection, and it's equally true that the story is almost a tiny excuse for the puzzle solving... but I'm enjoying it no matter what. The quaint atmosphere, the quirky but lovable characters, the nice and gentle feeling of the mystery involved, the beautiful cutscenes and the stunning animations, the music, the well-written dialogues. I've played Professor Layton for more than fifteen hours and I'm never tired of it, and this is more than I can say for the majority of the PC adventures I've played this year. Obviously, I'm glad that a sequel - The Diabolical Box - is about to be released, and I can't wait for September!

What do you think of the first game? What improvements would you like to see in the sequel?
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 08-03-2009, 06:10 AM   #2

I absolutely loved the first game. Played it from end to finish with my girlfriend. It was hard to let it go once we completed it. People often dismiss the story aspect of the game, but after finishing the main story, the thrill of finishing the puzzles we had missed just wasn't there. Therefore I think that the presentation and the gameplay system is very well thought out - tapping all sorts of items in the background with the stylus getting hint coins and hidden puzzles was part of the fun.

Had to give it 5/5 in my review (in Finnish). I don't regret giving it such a score at all. Biggest minus is that there's no Finnish localization available. This would be an incredibly positive game for young people who aren't yet good enough in English.

I'd say it's one of the best games I've played in recent years. Can't wait for the sequel. Too bad the girlfriend isn't around to enjoy it once it comes though.
I need to find another girl who's into this stuff.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
UnseenUniversity Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linque
I'd say it's one of the best games I've played in recent years. Can't wait for the sequel. Too bad the girlfriend isn't around to enjoy it once it comes though.
I need to find another girl who's into this stuff.
I often think this, but about men...Surely there is a man out there somewhere that wants to play adventure games with me...

Last edited by Melanie68; 08-03-2009 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags
Old 08-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
Psychonaut

Loved it, it's a lot of fun.

Looking forward to Diabolical Box and hope that the other 2 get a translation ("Professor Layton and the Last Time Travel" Professor Layton and the Specter's Flute" )
Old 08-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
Looking forward to Diabolical Box and hope that the other 2 get a translation ("Professor Layton and the Last Time Travel" Professor Layton and the Specter's Flute" )
Hoping that too. Isn't the Specter's Flute sort of a prequel centered around Luke and how he met Layton?
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:36 PM   #6

Played it a bit on friend`s DS. Plays good, looks nice. What else matters?

Maybe i should "borrow" his DS
Old 08-04-2009, 11:43 PM   #7
Adventure Dude =]

My buddy has it so i tried it for about 10 minutes or so, it seemed pretty neat. Hopefully I can play the entire thing sometime. =]

Last Game Finished: Memento Mori, Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal

Games Recently Finished: Art of Murder - The Hunt for the Puppeteer, Secret Files 2, Still Life 2
Old 10-09-2009, 10:34 AM   #8

I've just started the sequel, Professor Layton and The Diabolical Box, and, so far, it seems even better than the first one! *Fingers crossed*

Old 10-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
I've just started the sequel, Professor Layton and The Diabolical Box, and, so far, it seems even better than the first one! *Fingers crossed*
I have this too. I can't wait to play it, but I have a project to finish before I'll allow myself to play this.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
Psychonaut

Played it...finished it.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
Played it...finished it.
Any insight?

Old 10-09-2009, 11:26 PM   #12
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Any insight?
Not usually

I did post in the Games finished thread though.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forum...postcount=1080
Old 10-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #13

I just bought a DS and 3 games and this was one. Being shipped today so I will be playing this game soon. At least I hope I can play it, not sure how the DS works.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:17 AM   #14

Layton is just so incredibly fun and adorable, it's almost impossible not to like it (unless you hate thinking on puzzles, lol). Everything (music, plot, characters, puzzles) just works so well together.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:05 PM   #15
Super Moderator

My conscience is clear, so now I will be starting Diabolical Box. I am playing this along with Machinarium (where I am stuck). But I can't play Machinarium lying in bed, can I?
Old 10-21-2009, 03:55 AM   #16
Easily amused

Reading all about these games have made me consider buying my first console ever. Seems a liitle expensive for 2 games, but regular PC puzzle heavy adventures are few and far between.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:09 AM   #17

^ I would venture to say that the DS is a worthwhile purchase for an adventure gamer.

The DS Lite is pretty cheap right now (compared to the DSi), and overall, the DS has a pretty good collection of games. There are even quite a few adventure games, which is somewhat surprising. I realize that some of them are ports, but some like Hotel Dusk, Lux-Pain, and Ace Attorney are originals.

Also, there are the always sweet and fun Nintendo games, like Mario Kart and Mario Party.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:07 AM   #18
fov
Rattenmonster

Get it! There are plenty of adventure games to keep you busy, plus other games you might not realize how much you want them until you get them. (For me, that was Nintendogs, Tetris, the Sudoku that comes with Brain Age...)
Old 10-21-2009, 08:16 AM   #19
Easily amused

I'm now an owner of a bright red DS lite.
(and the 2 Layton games..)
So far it seems easy to use with the stylus.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
Get it! There are plenty of adventure games to keep you busy, plus other games you might not realize how much you want them until you get them. (For me, that was Nintendogs, Tetris, the Sudoku that comes with Brain Age...)
And, I'd like too add, Scribblenauts, which is basically a clever, ingenious puzzle adventure.