You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Remastered: The Secret of Monkey Island

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 07:06 AM   #1
GoT

Send a message via MSN to GoT
Default Remastered: The Secret of Monkey Island

Well, 2 hours till the game unlocks on steam!!!

Its already 10 past 1 in the morning here so i dont think i'll be staying up to get it, besides the server may go down like Telltales did when Tales came out (which is a good thing because it means its popular!! Hell, Tales is still number one on sales on Steam) and then i'd have wasted my time waiting like i did with Tales.

So I thought i'd just mention (quite needlessly i guess) that im pumped to be waking up tomorrow with a whole day off and being able to download something that i never thought id see in my lifetime...... it looks soooo beautiful too!! I can only cross my fingers and hope that MI2 gets remade also!!

I've also ordered the poster they released at E3 so i hope that it ships to Australia safely so that i can get it framed to add to my nerd wall with Drizzt Do'Urden on it haha!

Let me know (those who get it) what your first impressions/thoughts/feelings were as you started playing it, i'll be eager to find out!!

GoT
Old 07-15-2009, 07:15 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I briefly started the XBLA version of it this morning (just long enough to chat to some pirates in the scumm bar), and I'm still slightly disappointed at the lack of option to have vocals in the old-school look of the game.

That said, I'm looking forward to getting stuck into it properly tonight.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:20 AM   #3

2 hours to go! luckily here that will be 6pm, although I am still slightly peeved that there is no option to pre-download before then, or even a UK price!
Old 07-15-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

Yay.

Here it goes

Old 07-15-2009, 09:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin View Post
I briefly started the XBLA version of it this morning (just long enough to chat to some pirates in the scumm bar), and I'm still slightly disappointed at the lack of option to have vocals in the old-school look of the game.

That said, I'm looking forward to getting stuck into it properly tonight.
According to LucasArts I thought you could have the old look and the voice over.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:33 AM   #6

i downloaded it just now and have been playing about 10 minutes. i just came here to state how ABSOLUTELY blown away i am by this release. this is sort of a dream come true for me. i love the new high quality "instrumental" version of the monkey island theme. the graphics are so crisp and its great to have the guybrush voiceactor doing his part. i reaaally really hope this sells well enough to justify lucasarts remaking more of their classics (thinking mi2, atlantis etc). i absolutely love it.

even if this doesnt sell well i will always treasure this release. i am almost in tears. sorry guys. ttyl.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:46 AM   #7

Downloading as we speak, cannot wait to play! For forum readers who read my recent Screaming Narwhal review, I shall also be reviewing this as soon as I get the chance!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:08 AM   #8

Man, you really can't play the voiceover in classic mode, that sucks!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:18 AM   #9

I still haven't decided whether or not to buy it. It's only $10, but I do already own Secret of MI and can play it whenever I want for free... hmm...

Have they released a list of the (Xbox 360) achievements for this game? If so, and if anyone wants to post the list to this thread, I'd be interested in reading it. Maybe that'll sway me.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:23 AM   #10

I have to say, I am totally blown away. Tales of Monkey Island rocks, but this...wow! I really hope more classic Lucasarts games are given this treatment, starting with Monkey Island 2: LeChucks Revenge. I also own the original, but after playing it like this, I doubt I could ever go back...the graphics are beautiful!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantebk View Post
I still haven't decided whether or not to buy it. It's only $10, but I do already own Secret of MI and can play it whenever I want for free... hmm...

Have they released a list of the (Xbox 360) achievements for this game? If so, and if anyone wants to post the list to this thread, I'd be interested in reading it. Maybe that'll sway me.
for the sake of possible future lucasarts installments i'd say definately yes. not even mentioning how awesome the special edition is by itself.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:43 AM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantebk View Post
Have they released a list of the (Xbox 360) achievements for this game?
I'm not looking for the list myself, but I do know they've been discovered now. Check xbox360achievements.org and you can probably find the unveiled list there. They were all secret achievements, and I'd rather (try) and find them on my own.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #13
Lost.

So is LucasArts ever going to sell it directly on their website?
Old 07-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vina View Post
So is LucasArts ever going to sell it directly on their website?
I'd guess they'd sell a boxed version if they ever do make one - they don't have download infrastructure for providing the game online probably
Old 07-15-2009, 01:14 PM   #15
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
Man, you really can't play the voiceover in classic mode, that sucks!
They never said you'd be able to, in fact they've always said you could only switch between classic/original and SE one. The original one never had voices.

While I agree, it would be nice to have such option as well, I'm certainly not going to b**ch about it

Besides, there is a team of fans working on speech project for original SoMI. I guess if someone rips the dialogs out of SE, they could be used instead of amateur voiceovers they're using.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:31 PM   #16
J.H
Frak.

Graphics: 128 MB with Shader Model 2.0 capability

Damn! I can't get it yet, unless I download it on my half broken down laptop. Is there anyway to transport the game from one computer to another once it's downloaded? Like could you burn it to disk?
Old 07-15-2009, 01:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooFX View Post
They never said you'd be able to, in fact they've always said you could only switch between classic/original and SE one. The original one never had voices.

While I agree, it would be nice to have such option as well, I'm certainly not going to b**ch about it

Besides, there is a team of fans working on speech project for original SoMI. I guess if someone rips the dialogs out of SE, they could be used instead of amateur voiceovers they're using.
The video on http://lucasarts.com/games/monkeyisland/ shows the original version with voice (the herman toothrot part) - which made me think it was going to happen.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapoco View Post
Graphics: 128 MB with Shader Model 2.0 capability

Damn! I can't get it yet, unless I download it on my half broken down laptop. Is there anyway to transport the game from one computer to another once it's downloaded? Like could you burn it to disk?
you have to use steam if you get it through steam. which personally i prefer actually cause you don't have to transport anything. you just have to have a computer with internet access and log into your steam account and download it again.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #19
In an evening of July...

Bought it, downloaded it (Jesus Christ, 2,16 GB, really?), it was totally worth it. Voiceacting is great, graphics are crisp, animations are clunky, but that was to be expected. Amazing release, I'd love to see THE DIG remastered. And LOOM. And MI2. Heck, I'd buy all of them.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #20
The Quiet One

I love this game even more! I downloaded both versions, and i have to say, the PC version wins. It looks and runs great on the 360, with achievements to unlock as well, but the graphics quality/detail is soooo much better on PC. That, and being able to use a mouse.

I'm curious how many people downloaded this and how much money LucasArts have made. I really hope this sells well enough to warrant more Special Editions.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour