You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Tales of Monkey Island

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009, 11:27 AM   #241

Send a message via MSN to MikeLXXXVIII

I can't say I have been impressed by the episodes. The first episode felt very underwhelming, the same with the second (which was even worse). I felt like the puzzles were too much of trial error and item combinations. The same patterns and ways to solve the puzzles kept repeating over and over again.

The humour hasn't exacly been up there either. I found it rare to chuckle at anything being said. But boy did Episode 3 really pick up, after the tedious face expression fight. The episode really started to shine then. I really love the second part of it!
Overall it was a funny and a pretty well done episode despite its flaws. Had some neat stuff and twists in solving things.

Despite only one episode truly shining and some charming fun parts of the first episode I still think Telltale games did a good job at trying to recreate The Monkey Island universe. I just hope that the next episodes will be the same quality as episode 3.

Last edited by MikeLXXXVIII; 10-26-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #242

I'm bored and the only solution to that is ep. 4!
Old 10-27-2009, 11:31 PM   #243

Friday.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:10 AM   #244

End of october: ep. 4
End of november: ep. 5
End of december: special bonus episode from Santa?
Old 10-29-2009, 01:50 PM   #245

Some info for Episode 5 from Nintendo Power.
Quote:
Previews:

Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 5: Rise of the Pirate God
-horrible things will happen
-HORRIBLE THINGS
-"There's going to be a very clever and emotionally meaningful take on the insult swordfighting" -- Mike Stemmle, game designer
-"...And we did set up one very cool ending... when we sat down with [original Secret of Monkey Island creator] Ron Gilbert. People will be very happy with how that comes across. It will cement Elaine and Guybruch as the power couple of the Caribbean."
-some puzzles will make use of items that have been collected from previous episodes, even ones that were forgotten or annoying
Insult sword fighting! I was afraid they were not going to include it.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:40 AM   #246
Citizen of Bizarro World

What the hell does Friday, Pacific Standard Time mean, anyway?! Office opening hours PST? Minute before midnight PST?
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 10-30-2009, 04:57 AM   #247
Super Moderator

Judging by past releases, 'some time on Friday PST'.

At least they don't set a time that they then miss. Multiple times. [Valve, I'm looking at you ]
Old 10-30-2009, 11:29 AM   #248
Citizen of Bizarro World

Apparently it meant midday PST. Thanks for not laggin' me out everyone, now go get your own! ^_^

Old 10-30-2009, 11:30 AM   #249

Send a message via MSN to MikeLXXXVIII

The episode is out now! installing it as we speak now!
Hoping for a brilliant episode
Old 10-30-2009, 12:06 PM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLXXXVIII View Post
The episode is out now!
Oh! I didn't receive an e-mail from TT yet! And how did you people find that release date? I looked on the site earlier this week (even yesterday, I think) and I saw it nowhere.
Anyway... big dilemma now... - a lot of work that needs to be done urgently... or play TMI ep. 4 ...
Old 10-30-2009, 12:20 PM   #251
fov
Rattenmonster

I can't wait to see what people think of this one. I think the story takes some really interesting turns.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:54 PM   #252
Dungeon Master

I managed to finish catching up on Episodes 2 and 3 just hours before Trial and Execution was released, and I had a vastly different experience with each of them.

Chapter 2 I found, I am sorry to say, bad. Not just disappointing (I admit I might have set expectations too high, having been incredibly positively surprised with Screaming Narwhal), but I-had-to-force-myself-to-keep-playing-bad. And that's all because of the puzzles. With the exception of the beginning sequence (which I loved, just like you guys predicted), literally none gelled with me -- there was something that annoyed me in either the concept or the execution in each of them.
Spoiler:
Finding three different coupons to bring back to the shop was just boring design. The maze was small enough to not qualify as an actual challenge but complicated enough to be an annoyance. The rubber tree puzzle seemed to based on pure trial-and-error, especially if you didn't talk McGillicutty early enough (and you had been actively discouraged to). Etc., etc.
I don't know, maybe I just wasn't in the mood at the time. On the plus side, the characters, writing, acting and all that jazz were just as good as in the previous instalment (and in the case of LeChuck - outstanding). And I don't get what people's problem with the merfolk is.

Chapter 3 was, however, back to form of #1 and more, with superb puzzles (I don't care it if they are easy as long as they stay so smooth and fun) and humour improved from already satisfying level of the previous parts. And while I consider both DeSinge and LeFlay great additions to the MI world, this time we got not one but the whole cast of characters I'd love to see appearing or referenced again in the future, down to the Leviathan and (original) Santino. The best episode yet for sure, although I wouldn't like to retroactively knock still-awesome Narwhal, which honestly couldn't allow itself to be quite that linear and focused. (I mean, imagine if half of the first game in the series after nine-year-break took part in giant moster's bowels...) Great work!

On to the fourth one, then... when I find some time.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #253
Psychonaut

Just started Ep 4.

So far so good.

However the Prosecuters Jacket is incredibly annoying and just looks too odd.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:14 PM   #254
The Quiet One

Like Lucien, I've made a start on it. And also, so far so good. I've had a few chuckles/laughs. Bit disappointing that the original voice actor for...

Spoiler:
Stan
didn't make a comeback like I hoped he would. But at least the voice actor for Murray did. That really would've been disappointing otherwise.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 10-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #255
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
However the Prosecuters Jacket is incredibly annoying and just looks too odd.
You do get the joke, don't you? Stan's jacket has always had plaid that moves independently of the fabric. (See here for examples.)

I think there would have been a lot of angry fans wielding pitchforks if they hadn't done it that way...
Old 10-30-2009, 04:23 PM   #256
Super Moderator

You can't leave me with that cliffhanger for a month. Gah!

Thoroughly enjoyed this chapter.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:05 PM   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
Like Lucien, I've made a start on it. And also, so far so good. I've had a few chuckles/laughs. Bit disappointing that the original voice actor for...

Spoiler:
Stan
didn't make a comeback like I hoped he would. But at least the voice actor for Murray did. That really would've been disappointing otherwise.
Yeah I felt that way too. He seemed mildly annoying rather than extremely obnoxious like he is suppose to be. I am very disappointed actually...

Hopefully Telltale will change it when* season 2 comes out.

*hopefully there will be a season 2!
Old 10-30-2009, 11:55 PM   #258
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
You do get the joke, don't you? Stan's jacket has always had plaid that moves independently of the fabric. (See here for examples.)

I think there would have been a lot of angry fans wielding pitchforks if they hadn't done it that way...
I got the reference, but it probably because in previous games the chracters have been a lot smaller that it worked better.

In this he takes up most of the screen at times and the jacket just looks so fake it takes you out of the experience.

IMO.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:45 AM   #259
Citizen of Bizarro World

Hmm, maybe the jacked should've been impervious to perspective as well? IE, pattern density wouldn't increase in close-ups.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:35 AM   #260
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I loved this episode, I thought it was easily the best so far. It's longer, has a much darker tone and has some incredibly elaborate and tricky puzzles. The last episode only took me about 2 hours to finish, this one took about 4 separate sittings and probably closer to 6 hours. A lot of people might say that it's not as funny as the previous episodes, but I just think the humour takes on a little more of a meaner edge like Monkey Island 2 did, there's a lot more jokes about paralyzed cats and sacks of severed legs than silly puns this time around, which is fine by me. I can't wait until Episode 5, it has a tough act to follow after this and I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing