You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Dreamfall... again. Looking for Fan Fiction if need be...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2009, 04:45 AM   #1

Default Dreamfall... again. Looking for Fan Fiction if need be...

So I recently played Dreamfall, and to my suprise I keep bumping into posts of people bringing it up, recent stuff, not dated way back when.

Anyway...

I think I really, really, really hate Dreamfall. I hate it because it has got the most depressing non-end in a game ever. Even Syberia I isn't as open ended as this one, and Syberia stopped smack damn in the middle of its story.

I truly deeply madly hated the ending of Dreamfall, because I was reallt getting into the story. April, Zoe, and Kian. I barely know anything about Kian, or April for that matter. There's this whole world just waiting to be explored, fifty plots eager to be resolved, and they're all just left dangling... over a rather depressingly obvious abyss; surrounded by the four horsemen of the Apocalypse, while somewhere over the horizon, Zombie Hitler is cackling like a maniac.

I want to know how it ends. I don't want to wait until 2013 to see the next game... so I'm willing to even go out and read fan fiction... if only it would give me a decent ending to the various open plot threads...

Seriously... Dreamfall is the worst game ever, because it's one of the best.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:13 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to L-Jazz

Until an official sequel is released by Funcom, this site might provide some comfort to you;

http://www.fanfiction.net/game/Longest_Journey/

it has got some very good written stories, not just for dreamfall but for a lot of other games too!
Old 07-06-2009, 06:53 AM   #3
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanIdaho View Post
while somewhere over the horizon, Zombie Hitler is cackling like a maniac.
I don't remember that part. You must have bought the European version.

At any rate, yeah, you're gonna have to wait until Dreamfall: Chapters to get your closure, like the rest of us who were left hanging. You're right; I wouldn't care NEARLY as much about all the loose ends if I didn't love the story, characters, and background environment so much.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:57 AM   #4

Quote:
I think I really, really, really hate Dreamfall. I hate it because it has got the most depressing non-end in a game ever.
Because I found the many loose threads and ridiculous non-ending a travesty, I started a thread at another site. In the process of the discussions, you will see that some folk made themselves feel better by imagining there actually was an ending.
http://forums.longestjourney.com/sho...ght=AprilLives

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 07-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
Stalker of Britain

I love reading fan fiction, but I have yet to find a fan fic that does the ending of Dreamfall justice. There are quite a few that focuses on April and Kian, but I wanted to see what happened to Crow, the White Dragon, Zoe, etc. Maybe I'll finally get around to writing a Dreamfall fan fic...
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 08-05-2009, 08:28 AM   #6

Quote:
I barely know anything about Kian, or April for that matter.
Can't help about Kian, but if you want to know about April, you need to play the first game: The Longest Journey. You'll be knowing about April far much more than about Zoe after that

Quote:
Seriously... Dreamfall is the worst game ever, because it's one of the best.
Golden words
Old 08-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #7

You need to play The Longest Journey, its even better than Dreamfall.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #8

If the aim of a good story is to make you contemplate what you just experienced, then Dreamfall would get an A+.

Very few games have stuck in my head like Dreamfall and no other game has forced me to search the internet for hours upon hours, reading theories of what happened and what's going to happen. The ending was frustrating yet satisfying, because I really felt I'd been through a lot, especially counting The Longest Journey as well. The whole TLJ universe is just so interesting.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #9
It's Hard To Be Humble

I'm content to wait. I think I'd have to be shown a fanfic by a friend I trust before I'd dare to open TLF fanfic. I've red good fanfic in my time, but I've also read bad fanfic, and frankly, I don't think I could stand to read painfully predictable and pointless Dreamfall fanfic. Sadly, I also have no desire to write my own. But if I did choose to write some, I'd probably throw too many new ideas in there and disappoint anyone who was expecting a nice, neat ending.

And really, the multiple cliffhangers in Dreamfall didn't bother me. *shrug* Like I said, I'm content to wait. I can always go back and replay the games if I get to jonesing.