You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
Codger

Default SL2 Demo English

Just horrible.

First reaction was "Answer the f***ing phone"

Second reaction was cursor movement can be called eratic at best.

Third reaction is that inventory control is horrible. Reminds me of Shivers where you had to hide things and find them later.

Despite what some have said, I think the 3D rendering of the characters is quite passable.

Don't think I will buy the game. Demo didn't make the sale.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:35 PM   #2

Yeah, I felt exactly the same way. It's a shame they associated this game with the Still Life series.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:10 AM   #3

True
Old 07-05-2009, 02:17 AM   #4
kiss me Lewton

Send a message via MSN to carlotta von uberwald

The controls are awkward! and the graphics aren't a patch on SL. I wish they could do something about it before SL2 is released in Nov. Also why can't they use the same voice actors for the same character it throws off the continuity.

The sacred lace of Hyperopia the goddess of shoes, the holy trolley of Mr. Safeway, the blessed chamber pot of the whinging martyrs of constipata. Anything could become a sacred relic if you weren't careful enough.

I never misenthropated anything!

Malaclypse is a nut!!!

Keep The Adventure Alive!
Old 07-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
Codger

Although I got through the demo, I dl'd a WT to see if there was a better way of handling inventory. There wasn't.

While this may be a "practical/realisticl" approach to inventory control, I prefer the old "fanny pack holds everything."
Old 07-08-2009, 01:54 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to L-Jazz

Oh come on everyone! I got used to the controls after a short while. I've played through the whole game and I must say it is a fantastic gameplay experience. Some really great and hard puzzles and some great twists in the plot.
You simply have to give it time and it will grow on you.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #7
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Jazz View Post
You simply have to give it time and it will grow on you.
Games are entertainment. As are books, music, movies, et al. I'm a busy person. I don't have time to let something grow on me. If I don't like it, I move on to the next game, book, netflix DVD or CD that will.

I envy you that you have the time to let things "grow on you."
Old 07-09-2009, 08:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney View Post
Games are entertainment. As are books, music, movies, et al. I'm a busy person. I don't have time to let something grow on me. If I don't like it, I move on to the next game, book, netflix DVD or CD that will.

I envy you that you have the time to let things "grow on you."
Then you're guaranteed miss out on a lot of great things, not only games but all those other things you mentioned.
I sometimes find that if you take your time getting to like something, it feels all the more worth the effort when you finally enjoy it, but hey that's just me.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:13 AM   #9
Schattenger

Still Life 2 is awesome. Probably one of the most underrated games of this year. I guess people were expecting somethings along the lines of the original.

" I Can´t use these two Things Together"

Playing: Myst 4, So Blond, Memento Mori

Next in Line: The Black Mirror, Art of Murder: Cards of Destiny

Just Finished: Alter Ego, Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer, Chronicles of Mystery: The Tree of Life, Secret Files 2
Old 07-13-2009, 03:39 PM   #10
Codger

Then you're guaranteed miss out on a lot of great things

Maybe yes. Maybe no. I've, as I bet have many others, started watching a movie, and said "I really don't like this." But continue to watch it for another two hours, only to arrive at the same conclusion. That's two hours wasted. Time that could have been spent playing another game, watching a good movie or reading a good book.

And I'm only talking about the SL2 demo, not the game itself. If I'm turned off by the demo, there's no way I'm going to invest time an money in the full game in hopes that it will grow on me.

I guess people were expecting somethings along the lines of the original.

Do you think?????
Old 07-14-2009, 01:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Then you're guaranteed miss out on a lot of great things

Maybe yes. Maybe no. I've, as I bet have many others, started watching a movie, and said "I really don't like this." But continue to watch it for another two hours, only to arrive at the same conclusion. That's two hours wasted. Time that could have been spent playing another game, watching a good movie or reading a good book.

And I'm only talking about the SL2 demo, not the game itself. If I'm turned off by the demo, there's no way I'm going to invest time an money in the full game in hopes that it will grow on me.

I guess people were expecting somethings along the lines of the original.

Do you think?????
Well, if a couple of hours playing a bad game or watching a bad movie is such a catastrophe then I understand you.
I've played many bad games, adventure and other genres, but there's almost always something I can enjoy about it.
But even so, I still find that I have plenty of time to enjoy far better games for the rest of my life. An experience is always an experience.

Yeah, I was expecting a game more similar to SL, but it was different in a good way, and story wise it was absolutely fantastic.
Still Life was different to Post Mortem and Still Life 2 was different to Still Life. Kind of a pattern there.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #12
Codger

You and I will agree to disagree.

I dislike the game based on what I see of it via the demo.

It is slooow. Paloma runs slooow, even with a double click.

It is slooow to load.

Cursor movement erratic.

Inventory control is logical from your statements, but is illogical from my point of view. I.e., if you don't move the ladder first, there's no place to stash excess inventory to make room for it. Ergo, replay from prior save.

Forced replay is an artificial way of extending gameplay. I don't like it.

Bottom line: If the demo was the selling tool for SL2, it faild to make the sale.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #13
Schattenger

Quote:
You and I will agree to disagree.

I dislike the game based on what I see of it via the demo.

It is slooow. Paloma runs slooow, even with a double click.

It is slooow to load.

Cursor movement erratic.

Inventory control is logical from your statements, but is illogical from my point of view. I.e., if you don't move the ladder first, there's no place to stash excess inventory to make room for it. Ergo, replay from prior save.

Forced replay is an artificial way of extending gameplay. I don't like it.

Bottom line: If the demo was the selling tool for SL2, it faild to make the sale.
Bad Demo Then. The complete game is not that slow. At least, not as slow as you made up to be!

" I Can´t use these two Things Together"

Playing: Myst 4, So Blond, Memento Mori

Next in Line: The Black Mirror, Art of Murder: Cards of Destiny

Just Finished: Alter Ego, Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer, Chronicles of Mystery: The Tree of Life, Secret Files 2
Old 07-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #14
Super Moderator

I dunno, it's very dependant on your computer specs. It ran a bit sludgily for me too.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:35 PM   #15

Wow I should try that demo; I still haven't decided if I'd get this game or not. From the look of things, the demo might either convince me to give it a try or compel me to stay as far away as I can from it.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #16
She Wants Revenge

I played the whole game and it sucked even more in the end than it did in the beginning. Plot my ass - if you allow me to say. The whole thing is shallow (especially the characters, there's no depth even to Vic), stupid and super predictable and the silly inventory, boring environment that you have to spend the whole game in and annoying timed puzzles just make it a horrible experience overall. If I wanted to play badly controlled survival horror I wouldn't have gone for an adventure game that carries such a high standard name as "Still Life". I wish I could get those hours back.

I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone really. True, if you have an eternity to play and run out of all of the good games and are masochistic in some way, then you might get something out of this. I have a kid and a life so I really want to spend my own freetime with something that doesn't want to make me pull my hair out. Only reason I gave this game a chance was because it was called Still Life and I'm not too picky about graphics.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenia View Post
I played the whole game and it sucked even more in the end than it did in the beginning. Plot my ass - if you allow me to say. The whole thing is shallow (especially the characters, there's no depth even to Vic), stupid and super predictable and the silly inventory, boring environment that you have to spend the whole game in and annoying timed puzzles just make it a horrible experience overall. If I wanted to play badly controlled survival horror I wouldn't have gone for an adventure game that carries such a high standard name as "Still Life". I wish I could get those hours back.

I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone really. True, if you have an eternity to play and run out of all of the good games and are masochistic in some way, then you might get something out of this. I have a kid and a life so I really want to spend my own freetime with something that doesn't want to make me pull my hair out. Only reason I gave this game a chance was because it was called Still Life and I'm not too picky about graphics.
That's about as fair as the holocaust was.

Seriously, Still Life 2 is a great game and one of the most unique ones I've come across. The claustrophobic feeling you get from not being able to go where you want to is essential to this game. I strongly felt toyed with by the East Coast Killer.
And to see Victoria so vulnerable during some of the later parts of the game was quite interesting.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #18

One thing's for sure: this game does generate a lot of reactions.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #19
Banned User

Downloaded and Installed the demo a while ago. Uninstalled it after a couple of minutes of playing. Wow this game lacked a lot of polish. It had so many bugs and bad transitions, it just felt unfinished.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:26 PM   #20

Anyway, most Still Life fans should want to play this, even if it's only to get some closure!