You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Getting back into Adventure games, Need your recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2009, 09:07 AM   #1

Default Getting back into Adventure games, Need your recommendations

Hey guys,

I'm getting back into adventure games lately, with my wife expressing interest in playing them with me. The last adventure game I played was Syberia, Which I never actually finished (So we will be playing that)

Here are some of the games I've been looking at, but please feel free to suggest others that are worth playing, in any genre. My favorite type of adventure games are 2d art point and click, but I'm sure there are worthy 3d-type p&c worth playing.

Barrow hill
Lights out 1 &2
Still Life 1 & 2
Ceville
Emerald City Confidential
So Blonde
A Vampyre Story
Overclocked
Lost Crown
Ankh
Syberia 2
Dreamfall
Secret Files 2

Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

John
Old 06-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
Caffein Queen

How about:

- Jack Keane
- Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened (Remastered Edition)
- Sam & Max - Season One (from Telltalegames.com)
- Wallace & Gromit (also from Telltale)

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 06-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #3

Definitely try out Secret Files 2.. I'm playing it right now and it's one of the most polished modern adventure games I've seen, the dialogue is great and often funny, cool characters and great atmosphere..
Old 06-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDream View Post
Definitely try out Secret Files 2.. I'm playing it right now and it's one of the most polished modern adventure games I've seen, the dialogue is great and often funny, cool characters and great atmosphere..
How did you like Sinking Island?
Old 06-23-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
Stalker of Britain

It's actually Dark Fall 1&2 (instead of Lights Out 1&2, which is the name of the 2nd game), which are some of my favorite games!! The Lost Crown is also a 'must'. If you'll be playing Dreamfall, I'm assuming you've already played "The Longest Journey". I can't recommend comedy games, but if you like scary/dark adult-games (like Barrow Hill, etc), I would suggest; Black Mirror, lackstone Chronicles, Sanitarium, and the Gabriel Knight games. I know they're a bit older, but just in case you were interested.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes

Last edited by Fantasysci5; 06-23-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:01 PM   #6

how about zelda
Old 06-23-2009, 12:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan lee View Post
how about zelda
Thanks for the suggestion, but it's neither a point & click, or a PC game
Old 06-23-2009, 02:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyr View Post
It was pretty ok, nothing groundbreaking..

As far as I remember it had pretty neat graphics and if you liked 'And Then There Were None' game/book you would definitely like this as the game keeps you guessing who the killer is right through the end while providing clues as you progress further..
Old 06-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #9

You could try Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper and maybe Murder in the Abbey.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:20 PM   #10

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forum...ad.php?t=24880
Old 06-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #11
professional recluse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyr View Post
I was not a fan of Sinking Island, and I am one of those who really usually loves Sokal's work. While visually gorgeous, I found the characters cliched and the story sordidly predictable. I also got terribly bored at how long it took to move around the gameworld.

Definitely play Dreamfall if you played and enjoyed The Longest Journey! Not challenging at all, but very lovely and powerful.

Still Life 1 was one that I enjoyed enormously and would recommend without hesitation. Rather dark, but the story intrigued me vastly. I haven't played the sequel yet.

If you guys have a DS, I love and adore the Phoenix Wright series! It's probably my favourite adventure game discovery of recent years. Perfect blend of humor and affecting stories, and the dialogue puzzles are really fun to me (though it's best to space the games out a bit, otherwise the gameplay can feel repetitive).
I like the way colors taste. Except I don't like crimsons... or turquoises... especially when they put their heads in their shells and won't play, and when you break their shells to let them out, they DIE...
Old 06-24-2009, 08:13 PM   #12

What were your favourite titles back when you played regularly? And what sorts of games/books/movies/etc. does your wife like?
Old 06-24-2009, 08:16 PM   #13

I would get the blair witch games while crappy controls they got real spooky story and atmosphere...there is 3 games in total...
Old 06-29-2009, 12:01 AM   #14

from the games on the list, i`ve only played the 'dark-fall' series, which was very good and very (very) scary, and 'Emerald City Confidential' which is not so good in my opinion in terms of gameplay...
Old 06-29-2009, 08:43 AM   #15
professional recluse

I only played the demo of Emerald City. I might buy it sometime because I really liked the game's style very much--it was well written, with excellent voice acting and really pretty art. I did, however, find it extremely easy--I'm not sure I encountered a single significant, game-stopping puzzle in the hour that I played. However, since it has that generous demo, I'd recommend the original poster try that and if the game is to his taste, buy it. Also maybe look into Wadjet Eye's other games--I loved Shivah & enjoyed the Blackwell games.
I like the way colors taste. Except I don't like crimsons... or turquoises... especially when they put their heads in their shells and won't play, and when you break their shells to let them out, they DIE...
Old 06-29-2009, 10:24 AM   #16

If you play Still Life 1 (wich I very much recommend) You should definetly play the sequel as well, as Still Life 1 ends with something of a cliffhanger.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:35 PM   #17
She Wants Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
If you play Still Life 1 (wich I very much recommend) You should definetly play the sequel as well, as Still Life 1 ends with something of a cliffhanger.
I would only recommend Still Life 1 and perhaps the first chapter of Still Life 2. The sequel is just so bad it's embarrasing. Still Life is a masterpiece really and we'd need more games like that. Still Life 2 on the other hand is the same old crap that you better stay away unless you have endless hours to spend on gaming and run out of good options.

Sinking Island was okay but all those whodunnit games aren't really my cup of tea. Nowhere near Syberia.

My all time favourite games are (the ones I can remember now) Discworld Noir, Gabriel Knight, The Longest Journey, Still Life, Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max - Hit the Road. Still Life is the only game this decade, though Noir and TLJ are late 90s and very much playable graphics wise if someone has missed them.

Recently I had a nice surprise with Culpa Innata. Thought it to be an excellent game. Will probably need to play it again sometime later to see if it will get a spot on my favourite list. The game has loads and loads of conversation which turns some people off but I don't mind some extra chatter. It has a sci-fi/cyberpunkish setting and interesting plot with even more interesting subplot. Some people said it starts slow but I wasn't bored even in the beginning.

Secret Files 1 and 2 are very nice too. The story isn't amazing or anything but the games are just so damn polished and smooth that you just have to like them.

Syberia 1&2 are great and the second one continues right where the first one ended and is pretty pointless (or at least loses a lot of its charm) to play without the first part. There is a small recap but I doubt it will work unless you played Syberia fairly recently.

Dreamfall is good though it suffers a bit from the unnecessary action sequences and is pretty easy. But still a great game and shouldn't pass it if you played and liked TLJ.

Overclocked was pretty meh. It's just way too clichéd and I'm not the type who usually whines about clichés. But it's not bad and it has some charm to it, so if you're not horribly picky it is a solid candidate for playing.

Some of the games on the list are on my to-play list. I am not currently into these funny cartoonish types as I'm craving for something more serious á la Still Life. But I'll probably get to those Cevilles etc. at some point.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:49 AM   #18
High Table's Low Chairman

Toonstruck is a comedy game that matches your wishes. But I think I'd be of more help by suggesting not to stick to such mediums as '2d-art' and 'point-and-click'. Although you probably have the best experiences with those games, great and unique adventures are found throughout the types of adventure games. Comedy adventures outside your box that I loved: Grim Fandango (Black) and The Neverhood (Silly Slapstick)

Last edited by Karrel; 07-02-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:56 AM   #19
Raz Mataz

Send a message via MSN to Raz Mataz

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenia View Post
I would only recommend Still Life 1 and perhaps the first chapter of Still Life 2. The sequel is just so bad it's embarrasing. Still Life is a masterpiece really and we'd need more games like that. Still Life 2 on the other hand is the same old crap that you better stay away unless you have endless hours to spend on gaming and run out of good options.

Sinking Island was okay but all those whodunnit games aren't really my cup of tea. Nowhere near Syberia.

My all time favourite games are (the ones I can remember now) Discworld Noir, Gabriel Knight, The Longest Journey, Still Life, Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max - Hit the Road. Still Life is the only game this decade, though Noir and TLJ are late 90s and very much playable graphics wise if someone has missed them.

Recently I had a nice surprise with Culpa Innata. Thought it to be an excellent game. Will probably need to play it again sometime later to see if it will get a spot on my favourite list. The game has loads and loads of conversation which turns some people off but I don't mind some extra chatter. It has a sci-fi/cyberpunkish setting and interesting plot with even more interesting subplot. Some people said it starts slow but I wasn't bored even in the beginning.

Secret Files 1 and 2 are very nice too. The story isn't amazing or anything but the games are just so damn polished and smooth that you just have to like them.

Syberia 1&2 are great and the second one continues right where the first one ended and is pretty pointless (or at least loses a lot of its charm) to play without the first part. There is a small recap but I doubt it will work unless you played Syberia fairly recently.

Dreamfall is good though it suffers a bit from the unnecessary action sequences and is pretty easy. But still a great game and shouldn't pass it if you played and liked TLJ.

Overclocked was pretty meh. It's just way too clichéd and I'm not the type who usually whines about clichés. But it's not bad and it has some charm to it, so if you're not horribly picky it is a solid candidate for playing.

Some of the games on the list are on my to-play list. I am not currently into these funny cartoonish types as I'm craving for something more serious á la Still Life. But I'll probably get to those Cevilles etc. at some point.

o my goodness, i was about to write down the exact list of my fav games...WOW!
Old 07-02-2009, 12:33 PM   #20

When did you stop playing adventures? Maybe you should go straight to the classics. They had bigger and better production values, and for the most part they're games that have yet to be improved upon.

Check out any of the first three Monkey Island games if by some small chance you haven't played them, but especially the third if A Vampyre Story interests you. It has the same background artist, and the writers and actors are about a million times better.