You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure tips on serious Adventure games?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2009, 03:18 PM   #1

Default tips on serious Adventure games?

I love most adventure games, like Grim Fandango and Monkey Island. I have just started playing all the games i have missed now, but i have realized that i am much more drawn into the more serious adventure games then the ones thats all about humour. Its ok if its a bit of humour like in Gabriel Knights or Broken Sword, but i want the core feeling to be a thriller. I was wondering what more games i can play that have this thriller feeling to it?

The games in that genre that i know of is Gabriel Knight, Still Life (I LOVE that game!), and Broken Sword. I have heard about some Sherlock games? But are they any good, and how many is there? I have got the impression there is a lot of games in that series so i dont know what to choose..
Old 05-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #2

I tend to enjoy more serious games too, and only a handful have actually been chuckleworthy.

I suggest trying Sanitarium and Faust:Seven games of the soul(though, this is a 1st person myst-like game). Both serious and have great stories and puzzles. The Lost Crown is good too.

I tried Sherlock Holmes Awakened briefly, but the original made me dizzy even though I play FPSs all the time. Also, the first 15 minutes of the game seemed a bit too much of a pixel hunt for me. It might have gotten better though. I wished I liked it more as I read Holmes as a child.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
Stalker of Britain

I like dark, serious themed games, too, and I usually find it in supernatural games. Sanitarium, which was already mentioned, and Blackstone Chronicles have very mature subjects, and althouh they have comedy and horror, are taken pretty seriously. And of course I'm an advocate for Lost Crown. I also find serious subjects in murder investigation games, like Post Mortem, prequel to Still Life.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 05-20-2009, 07:24 PM   #4

Default dark themed games

this is my very first post. The games you mentioned are my favorite but I am unaware of the Blackstone Chronicles. I just love Jonathan Boakes! my question is, is there any way to search the games for first person point and click quickly? I have been looking at the list of games on this site and any that have sounded interesting, when I looked further, they were 3rd person which I hate. I"m not even sure f this is the right place to ask this question-as I said, I am brand new to this site.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
Stalker of Britain

I also love Jonathan Boakes, hence my signature! If you like serious games, that make you squiemish inside, Blackstone Chronicles is definetely good. It talks about the horrible thigns done to mental patients in insane asylums. It's really disturbing, but so beautifully done. I like 1st persons better than 3rd person, so I know where you're coming from. Blackstone Chronicles is 1st person, although what do yo have against 3rd person? Because there are some scary/serious subject adventure games that are in 3rd person.
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 05-21-2009, 01:58 AM   #6

Thanks for the tips! I will try Sanitarium first, also i will try "I have no mouth and I must scream" (best titlename ever! )

Personally i like 3d person more then 1st person in adventure games.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:22 AM   #7
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnewlove View Post
my question is, is there any way to search the games for first person point and click quickly? I have been looking at the list of games on this site and any that have sounded interesting, when I looked further, they were 3rd person which I hate. I"m not even sure f this is the right place to ask this question-as I said, I am brand new to this site.
You can select those search criteria at Mobygames.com, maybe at other sites too.

The last three Tex Murphy games (1994, 1996, 1998) and Black Dahlia (1998) are very good thrillers with a dark theme. And why doesn't anybody mention ghost adventure Amber (1996) anymore, not exactly a thriller but a great game. All of them first-person. You may enjoy Zork Nemesis too.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:58 PM   #8
Stalker of Britain

Outcast-Good luck with trying to get "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream". Every time I try to find it, it's nearly $50. If you can find it for some-what cheap, please let me know.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #9

Try Blade Runner, its a futuristic noir/detective/crime story, like the movie. Also The Black Mirror its pretty dark and serious.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:22 PM   #10

I always found the Gabriel Knight games to have just the right amount of seriousness to enhance the story, especially the first one.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 05-21-2009, 02:04 PM   #11
scapegoat sculptor

I have to say I really enjoyed the last couple of Holmes games - eagerly waiting for the Jack the Ripper one - I would especially recommend the Awakened if u like thriller themes - however I am a bit biased coz Holmes is kind of my thing as u might imagine

If you don't mind playing older games you might want to try the two games of the Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes series (Electronic Arts '93)

1. The Case of the Serrated Scalpel

Maybe you have to get used to the game's visual style - but it probably has THE most dense atmosphere I ever encountered in a sleuth game....

2. The Case of the Rose Tattoo

Nice challenge - some puzzles are quite difficult in this game...

However unfortunatly they are really old and thus hard to get - maybe there are still a few copies floating around on e-bay

Last edited by Tramponline; 05-22-2009 at 11:00 AM. Reason: abandonware link removed - please read our FAQ
Old 05-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #12
Red Bicycle Brake Unit

I recommend KGB (aka Conspiracy). It's in many ways the opposite of what I'm normally looking for in an adventure game, but it won me over with its quality writing, great freedom of actions (though the plot is still linear) and the way everything about it just makes a lot of sense: It's hard, but the puzzles aren't silly and contrived. It's ruthless if you don't take it seriously, but the reasons for dieing are all very reasonable.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #13
Seeker Of Red Herring(s)

2 hard and serious and unique games:

Missing: Since January
Evidence: The Last Ritual

I'm not sure, though, if the real-world (ironically I am referring to 'real-world' websites here, which you might say isn't real-world, but I mean... they are/were actual websites... don't let this confuse you... sorry) structure is still working, but, if so these are both excellent and tough games.

No hand-holding here.

Experiments in the possible (some say impossible, , but not so!)

More innovation like this (or even building on and ripping off these very innovations!) would/could go a long way.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:04 AM   #14

You should try the games from Wadjet Eye Games. Especially the Blackwell series I can recommend. The topics are very serious and sometimes psychological, and the dialogs are very well writen.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald B View Post
I recommend KGB (aka Conspiracy). It's in many ways the opposite of what I'm normally looking for in an adventure game, but it won me over with its quality writing, great freedom of actions (though the plot is still linear) and the way everything about it just makes a lot of sense: It's hard, but the puzzles aren't silly and contrived. It's ruthless if you don't take it seriously, but the reasons for dieing are all very reasonable.
It's VERY hard. But it's so damn good, it's worth trying. To be honest I never finished it without a walkthrough and I congratulate anyone who has!
Old 05-22-2009, 06:59 AM   #16
Part-time Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Outcast-Good luck with trying to get "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream". Every time I try to find it, it's nearly $50. If you can find it for some-what cheap, please let me know.
You can pick up a new copy of I Have No Mouth and I must Scream at Harlan Ellison's website for 32 bucks, or so it says.

Playing Now: Shadow of Destiny
Recently Finished: Emerald City Confidential,Dead Reefs
Old 05-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #17

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramponline View Post
At least one of them is abandonware and thus free:

1. The Case of the Serrated Scalpel

Maybe you have to get used to the game's visual style - but it probably has THE most dense atmosphere I ever encountered in a sleuth game....

2. The Case of the Rose Tattoo

Nice challenge - some puzzles are quite difficult in this game...
If that is true, where?

The reason I ask if its true is that "abandonware" is legally, a very grey area and unless the company itself has released it for sale, its still copyright infringement.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #18

3 main sherlock holmes games available now:

1. SH - The Awakened
2. SH Nemesis (also called SH vs Arsene Lupin)
3. SH vs Jack the Ripper (came out today as digital download, will be in stores probably next week)

i would strongly recommend The Awakened, then Jack the Ripper (judging by the demo i just played). Make up your own mind and download the demos for the games
Old 05-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #19
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadefalcon View Post
If that is true, where?

The reason I ask if its true is that "abandonware" is legally, a very grey area and unless the company itself has released it for sale, its still copyright infringement.
Indeed, it isn't legally free.

Please do not re-add that link again tramponline, and please read our FAQ about what is not okay to post on these forums.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:34 AM   #20

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon

To be fair, the post on Rose Tattoo does only link to a Mobygames review, that itself does not enable you to download the game, but I know that abandonware is a term often tossed around and some people mistakenly think it is legal. It is irritating when games aren't available, a budget rerelease or releasing it to GOG.com or a similiar idea would be something though.