You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure just finished still life 2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2009, 07:22 AM   #1

Default just finished still life 2

gotta say i really enjoyed it, my expectations were really low considering some of the things i have read from the people who played the german version. but i found it pretty good, the length is just about right for me (i finished it in a day and a half), the atmosphere was really tense and the puzzles seemed to fit right in with the story. the inventory was slightly odd as things you picked up were given sizes and the inventory only let you hold so many ie the sledgehammer took up 8 inventory boxes and the tape only took up 1 etc. i didnt find it too awkward though as there are loads of cupboards and things to dump items temporarily. the only annoying thing about the inventory is that when you leave an item somewhere you need to remember which drawers or cupboard you left it in. the only other problem with still life 2 is the flipping glitches, this game is riddled with bugs from going into another room and the game not letting you move, to having to click something 3 times or so before victoria gets going again, also the camera angles at some points are dreadful. some of the bugs meant i had to download save files from the net so that i could continue to play it i think i downloaded 3 in total. however ignoring the glitches (hopefully there will be a patch soon) i had a lot of fun with this game and am looking forward to still life 3 lol x
Old 05-17-2009, 08:58 AM   #2

So who is the killer? Summary please.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadsoul View Post
Use spoiler tags!

(there's a shortcut by highlighting the text and hitting the ? button or [ spoiler] text [/spoiler ] without the spaces)
Old 05-17-2009, 12:29 PM   #4

What I find absolutely unacceptable is that you cannot change the resolution and (consequently) there is no widescreen mode so you are stuck with 1024x768 and black bars on the sides.
1024x768? What year is it, 1999 or 2009?
Perhaps creators of this game never heard of LCD interpolation or assumed that the only people who will buy this game have old 15inch CRTs.
This is especially outrageous since the game is in full 3D, so allowing different resolutions and/or widescreen should be absolutely no problem.
It gets better - I've downloaded Secret Files 2 demo, which is not a 3D game (from what I saw, it has classical 2D background and 3D characters). And guess what? Not only you can choose almost any resolution you like, but it also supports widescreen! And it's a 2.5D game, mind you.
In light of this fact, lack of resolution/widescreen settings in 3D Still Life 2 is even more disgraceful.

That's it, I spilled my bile, I feel better now
Old 05-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by loobylou26 View Post
gotta say i really enjoyed it, my expectations were really low considering some of the things i have read from the people who played the german version. but i found it pretty good, the length is just about right for me (i finished it in a day and a half), the atmosphere was really tense and the puzzles seemed to fit right in with the story. the inventory was slightly odd as things you picked up were given sizes and the inventory only let you hold so many ie the sledgehammer took up 8 inventory boxes and the tape only took up 1 etc. i didnt find it too awkward though as there are loads of cupboards and things to dump items temporarily. the only annoying thing about the inventory is that when you leave an item somewhere you need to remember which drawers or cupboard you left it in. the only other problem with still life 2 is the flipping glitches, this game is riddled with bugs from going into another room and the game not letting you move, to having to click something 3 times or so before victoria gets going again, also the camera angles at some points are dreadful. some of the bugs meant i had to download save files from the net so that i could continue to play it i think i downloaded 3 in total. however ignoring the glitches (hopefully there will be a patch soon) i had a lot of fun with this game and am looking forward to still life 3 lol x

I'm near the end of the game and I must say I agree with you. Although, I didn't really have any major bugs. I had 1 or 2 insignificant ones.
I don't know why most people were complaining. While not perfect, the game was really entertaining and much better than the majority of the games I've played this year.

Last edited by Keregioz; 05-17-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:45 PM   #6

Quote:
I assume you mean the killer of the original Still Life? If so, I wrote about it in this post in the thread about the German release of Still Life 2.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:48 PM   #7

Quote:
okies if u really want me 2 spoil it lol

Spoiler:
james hawker her partner that went missing in the 1st one
Old 05-18-2009, 01:53 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to candywren

Hey,there. Finally wait until someone to finish stilllife2 of english version.

You must remember there was the game scene when Vic. blocked the killer behind the door,meanwhile this killer tried to break in, and she had to figure out some way to save herself by a limited time.

May I ask if you have any chance of keeping the save of this very part, I`m kinda of desperately needing it

Thanks for helping me out
Old 05-18-2009, 05:45 AM   #9
scapegoat sculptor

hey candywren,

Do you actually need the savegame itself or a solution to this sequence? (by the way if I remember this scene correctly: wasn't it Paloma rather than Vic who had to block the door? ...inside the room with the internet-computer terminal, right?)

Spoiler:
You have to take out and use the shelf from the large cupboard with the killer's cape inside to prevent the killer from entering the room

so long,

Tramp
Old 05-18-2009, 06:39 AM   #10
scapegoat sculptor

Hey Keregioz,

I agree with you, this game is probably better than the vast majority of adventures this year so far.

However, I suppose most complains are in reference to the first installment, which had an extremely well crafted and gripping dramatic structure.
Those clues you found in Still Life for once actually led to new insights into to the narration, new possibilities of further research and advanced the storyline effectively. Like a clever and mature puzzle - one piece at a time.

In Still Life 2 you still have elements of collecting all those clues.
Yet I couldn't help myself but feeling slightly awkward while collecting all those pieces of 'EVIDENCE' in- and outside of the house. It just felt too much like going over a checklist of things 'you just have to do'. Just gathering evidence for the sake of accumulation, with little or sometimes even no effect on furthering the events whatsoever!

And for me the various bugs were a major point of annoyance! On several occasions I've had to reload a savegame, coz either Vic got stuck ('physically'! ;-) or the cursor didn't react anymore.

The delayed timing and precision of the protagonist's movement is slightly aggravating at first - but it gets worse the longer you play the game.
At times I got the impression Vic wanted to imitate those frequently used 'JOHNNY-TELL-MY-KIDS-AND-LEAVE-ME-BEHIND'-slow motion sequences from war movies!!!
It really made me bloody furious - especially during those timed scenes!!!

Thus from a personal point of view:
compared to the first part of Still Life most complains are very well justified!!!

Still, don't get me wrong - I'm just blowing off steam - the game is definitely worth playing and I enjoyed it as well as you guys!

Last edited by Tramponline; 05-18-2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:56 AM   #11

i used the official site http://www.stilllife-game.com/forum/...php?f=25&t=153 when i needed a save pretty helpful of them, guess they released the game knowing about the bugs lol
Old 05-18-2009, 07:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramponline View Post
Hey Keregioz,

I agree with you, this game is probably better than the vast majority of adventures this year so far.

However, I suppose most complains are in reference to the first installment, which had an extremely well crafted and gripping dramatic structure.
Those clues you found in Still Life for once actually led to new insights into to the narration, new possibilities of further research and advanced the storyline effectively. Like a clever and mature puzzle - one piece at a time.

In Still Life 2 you still have elements of collecting all those clues.
Yet I couldn't help myself but feeling slightly awkward while collecting all those pieces of 'EVIDENCE' in- and outside of the house. It just felt too much like going over a checklist of things 'you just have to do'. Just gathering evidence for the sake of accumulation, with little or sometimes even no effect on furthering the events whatsoever!

And for me the various bugs were a major point of annoyance! On several occasions I've had to reload a savegame, coz either Vic got stuck ('physically'! ;-) or the cursor didn't react anymore.

The delayed timing and precision of the protagonist's movement is slightly aggravating at first - but it gets worse the longer you play the game.
At times I got the impression Vic wanted to imitate those frequently used 'JOHNNY-TELL-MY-KIDS-AND-LEAVE-ME-BEHIND'-slow motion sequences from war movies!!!
It really made me bloody furious - especially during those timed scenes!!!

Thus from a personal point of view:
compared to the first part of Still Life most complains are very well justified!!!

Still, don't get me wrong - I'm just blowing off steam - the game is definitely worth playing and I enjoyed it as well as you guys!

Yes, of course. I never compared it with the first game. And honestly from the very first time it was announced I was certain it wouldn't be as good and I had very low expectations. Maybe that's why I enjoyed it more than others. I find it strange how fans expected an equally good game just because it was a sequel since the people responsible for the original game weren't involved (as far as I know). Still life is a classic, still life 2 is just a really enjoyable game.

I found the puzzles pretty good and well integrated in to the story. I also liked the way they decided to wrap up the loose ends from the previous game although a little naive. Also it's been quite some time since I've played it and I'm not sure they covered all plot holes correctly.

Like I said, so far there was only one major bug I encountered which was solved by restoring a previous game. Also, I found out that as the game progresses the frame rate begins to slow down. That was easily solved by saving the game then going to the main game menu and restoring the game again.

I, also, heard a lot of people complaining about the graphics which, I guess, is justified. Personally, while I was definitely not amazed by them I had no problem enjoying the game. That is because the graphics weren't "ugly" or bad designed just not detailed enough. It seemed like I was playing a 8 year old game with good graphics.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:19 AM   #13
scapegoat sculptor

Hehehe see, there ends my knowledge and starts my ignorance.
I didn't realize until you told me that it wasn't the same team of developers creating the sequel.
You are absolutly right about the graphics. After playing the second part I got a bit hooked again and watched the 'intro' of the first one on you tube.
That's when I realized once more what the excellent graphics did for the atmosphere and the mood of the game:
Vic in her huge 4x4 arriving at the crime scene, winter in urban Chicago, an abandoned building, it's snowing, somber atmosphere - brilliant.

However if a narration is compelling I would never let graphics spoil my immersive experience - there were (and still are) brilliant games in 320 x 200 pixel resolution where in some cases you can hardly distinguish a thing - still they suck u in and never let u go - the Police Quest series is such an example!!.

...and Still Life 2 graphics are far from being total crap...

Last edited by Tramponline; 05-19-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #14
J.H
Frak.

I've only just got the first Still Life lol. Better late than never though as this game is so good. Good voice acting and a strong story line are a great recipe for any adventure game, Still Life has this and more.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:18 AM   #15

Send a message via MSN to candywren

That`s very nice of you,guys. I finally can move to the next part
Old 05-19-2009, 03:59 AM   #16

Default Bugs encountered...

First of all I have to say that, despite the bugs and low graphics, this is one of those memorable adventure games that stick above the rest. I enjoyed very much playing it. I felt a great relief when the identity of the killer from the previous title has been confirmed to me. I never doubted he was the one, while playing Still Life. Although there's the part when he gets into the Autopsy Room and leaves the photo inside the body, which doesn't quite fit, but hey that's fine.

I've played the downloadable version from the official site. It deserves the money spent, although it wouldn't hurt to be patched.

Now the bad part. The bugs.
There are some minor bugs involving clipping of the characters into the environment (at one point Vic felt through the front door's stairs at the killer's house).
Then sometimes characters are missing from an animation. This usually happened to me when trying to use shortcuts. For example I tried getting through the kitchen door before actually getting up the backside stairs. Upon entering the kitchen, Vic remains outside. Clicking on the door usually solves this issue.
Then there's the problem of unlocking a door then leaving the room through another door. After coming back, unlocked door remains locked and no additional action can't be performed (this happened to me in the computer room, when I've unlocked the hidden door near the cupboard).
Then there are some annoying bugs related to the computer itself. For example there's the images and video files. After watching them, if you try and watch them again, only the images are available, when playing the video, Vic gets stuck at the computer. Sometimes when accessing the cameras from the computer, also gets Vic stuck. I had to be very careful with the computer in the computer room. The computers encountered later in the game worked fine. In some cases even after discovering the correct password, this doesn't become available in the password list. Again same computer.
Also there was some triggered event (the broadcasting from the killer), which made the mask hiding the new password to become un-click-able. It probably assumed I already had access to the PC. But like I've said, after reading the note I went looking for the mask in the wrong place (outside where the body lies, not inside in the right place).
Near the end if you place the tracking device near the ventilation and get back a step you get stuck.

There was another annoying issue, not a bug, but annoying anyway. The metal detector usage didn't make any sense in my opinion.

Basically if you follow the plot bugs encountered get reduced. But then again sometimes the plot confuses the player and you get bugs anyway.

That's pretty much all. ) All in all it was a very good and captivating game.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:42 AM   #17
scapegoat sculptor

Default red herings?

???
Maybe you guys can help me out with something:

Spoiler:
Why was the keypad inside the fuse box at the fence (killer's trap) detachable?
I mean, I took it, carried it aroung for a while only to realize later on that you actually just had to put it back in togehter with the remote control? What do you reckon was that all about?

Usually I try everything and suck out every kind of information I can get before I proceed in sleuth games like Still Life 2 - thus there were no more doors which might have needed a keypad to open!

Either it might have been designed for additional features and puzzles which didn't make it into the final game or it was intended as a kind of red hering.

Spoiler:
Same is true for those objects you can find inside the box in Hawker's room:
the clamps and copper wire - which you can actually cut and combine(!!) - but which have no further value in the game.

I even tried to play the alternate ending - still nothing - they have no function whatsoever!

Would be nice to know what you think about those?

PS: Ok the more I think about it: The last spoiler i mentioned is very likely a red hering and ingame joke at the same time: Since MacGyver everybody knows that bombs are naturaly defused by bypassing circuits - it's just common (movie) sense !!!!

Last edited by Tramponline; 05-19-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #18

Quote:
???

Spoiler:
I mean, I took it, carried it aroung for a while only to realize later on that you actually just had to put it back in togehter with the remote control? What do you reckon was that all about?

there were other places in the game that used a similar keypad, i wonder if you could use it in one of them 1st or something?!?

Quote:
??? Spoiler:
Same is true for those objects you can find inside the box in Hawker's room:
the clamps and copper wire - which you can actually cut and combine(!!) - but which have no further value in the game.

I even tried to play the alternate ending - still nothing - they have no function whatsoever!

Would be nice to know what you think about those?
huh made me feel dead brainy when i got that 1 lol
Old 05-19-2009, 01:58 PM   #19
scapegoat sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by loobylou26 View Post

huh made me feel dead brainy when i got that 1 lol
Hahaha lol me too! I thought easy - bypass the circuit, cut the wires, save the day - way to go!!
even before actually opening the bloody bomb closet and after that I tried ages to apply these bloody clamps anywhere! cml
Old 05-20-2009, 06:07 AM   #20
scapegoat sculptor

Quote:
???

Spoiler:
Still wondering about this one. Has no one of you used this one anywhere else other than from where you actually got it???