You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Something along the lines of Laura Bow...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2009, 04:59 PM   #1

Default Something along the lines of Laura Bow...

I have recently gotten back into playing old-school point and click adventure games after completing Broken Sword 1 on my DS... and I have been scouring all over the place for games with similar game play and that run in a similar vein a.k.a murder-mystery (but I can't seem to find any good suggestions):

1) Laura Bow 1: Colonel Bequest
2) Laura Bow 2: Dagger of Amon-Ra
3) Broken Sword 1 (Picking up 2 soon)

Any suggestions would be great. Just a couple of preferences though: old-school vintage VGA, DOS era-ish games please! And nothing too gory.

PS - I have some Sherlock Holmes game that I have yet to try.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #2

DEAR LORD Gabriel Knight! My favorite game EVER. The series has won Many Awards and has a cult following.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #3

Is it similar to laura bow? Murder-mystery?
Old 05-04-2009, 02:15 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Gabriel Knight isn't a sleuth game, if this is what you're asking.

But it is definitely a mystery involving a murder, even if with a supernatural setting.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 05-04-2009, 03:51 AM   #5

Though i have never played it , i think cruise for a corpse fits your description of a murder-mystery adventure game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdniVUpAiDE
Old 05-04-2009, 03:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduramater View Post
DEAR LORD Gabriel Knight! My favorite game EVER. The series has won Many Awards and has a cult following.
I have GK1, I think, somewhere. Been intending to play it though. Which is the best GK in your opinion?

I need more murder-mysteries! LOL. I can't seem to enjoy Monkey Island as much as the rest do..
Old 05-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #7

Definitely start with Gabriel Knight 1. It is a murder mystery, at least starting out, and then it takes a major quantum leap into immortal greatness that you will never forget.

And the best part? After you're done with it, you'll have Gabriel Knight 2 and 3 to look forward to!
Old 05-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #8

Gabriel knight 1 , 2 & 3 are all different in the presentation , gabriel knight 1 is the standard 2D point & click adventure game , gabriel knight 2 is a FMV adventure game while gabriel knight 3 is a 3D game. (dislike the blocky ugly 3d renderings so i never bought it or played it)

GK 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEhEIx3uC2o

GK 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpHkM9z8c7E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIkh8WdrDeU

GK 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzlD4rjayGM
Old 05-05-2009, 02:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlasinger View Post
I have GK1, I think, somewhere. Been intending to play it though. Which is the best GK in your opinion?
In my opinion, The Beast Within is the best, but the other are similarly way above the rest of adventures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmajik View Post
Definitely start with Gabriel Knight 1. It is a murder mystery, at least starting out, and then it takes a major quantum leap into immortal greatness that you will never forget.
A perfect way to describe it indeed!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Gabriel Knight isn't a sleuth game, if this is what you're asking.

But it is definitely a mystery involving a murder, even if with a supernatural setting.
I managed to complete GK1 today... and it was great! Pretty similar to Laura Bow 2 and Broken Sword 1, in terms of weaving occult, history stuff with crime/sleuth/whodunit and a dash of morbidity!

Will pick up GK2 soon (though I am not a big fan of FMV-styled games; I a sucker for 2D VGA-rendered stuff cos' they just look so goddamn charmin' and yummy!). Any more recommendations along the lines of GK1 and the rest?

Thanks people!
Old 05-07-2009, 08:15 AM   #11

I'm really glad that you liked Sins of the Fathers. The two sequels are top-notch as well, so I bet you're gonna like them!