You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Recommendations for the old folks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 08:44 AM   #1

Default Recommendations for the old folks

My parents are borderline ancient, but they've played adventures ever since we got a computer. They haven't played a lot of modern games, but they're still willing to play new things.

My mother loved Syberia, she played the original and the sequel back-to-back, only to state that she didn't care much about the ending. She felt a little bit cheated out of an otherwise excellent game. Monkey Island is one of her absolute favorites, the first two games at least, she liked the third, but the moment the controls were changed she began to experience difficulty, which was with Monkey Island four. (It annoyed her that they changed the system, because it breaks the flow of the series for her.)

My father is even more specific about the games he likes to play. He's been a fan of Sherlock Holmes ever since he first played "The Serrated Scalpel" way back in the nineties. He also liked Siberia, but didn't care much about the endless walks the main character went on. Prisoner of Ice: The Call of Chtulhu is one of his favorites as well.

Both of them enjoyed Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, both of them hate puzzle-games, as they break the flow of the story. Pixel-hunting is annoying for everyone, but they're pretty lax about pixel-hunts if they're rare and if the story and visuals compensate. My mother is still having flashbacks to The Biggest Ball of Yarn from Sam and Max Hit the Road.

For my father:
- Realism... up to a point.
- No endless walks
- If possible a detective story
- No puzzles (Games like the 7th guest are definately out)
- Characters to interact with (Myst didn't fare to well)

For my mother:
- from realism to comedy, the only thing she seems to have some problems with is outright science fiction.
- No puzzles.
- Characters.
- Point and click, third person.

So what games would you recommend for people over the age of 50?
Old 03-13-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
Caffein Queen

For your mother, how about the Broken Sword series, which plays nicely in ScummVM

Did your father play Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened - Remastered version?

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 03-13-2009, 08:53 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to therabidfrog

Your dad might like Titanic" adventure out of time, and for your mom maybe The Lost Crown since the puzzles are fairly straight forward, and are mostly item based.

"There be knockers down here..." - T.G. 1884

My review of The Path
Old 03-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #4

Titanic would be OK but I felt like endless walking and characters were not that great, just standing there... Dust was much better.
So maybe The Last Express would work better as detective story with real people. And since action sequences can be skipped, this could work out. But there are more games which will work for him, I guess. I just have to think a little.
And yes, I would vote for Broken Sword 1 and 2. Especially 2 can be finished without walkthru without probs.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:31 AM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon

How does your father feel about Science Fiction? If he's okay about it, Blade Runner might suit him.

Secret Files Tunguska might not also be a bad choice, there is of course a couple of frustrating bits, but no puzzles that are downright incomprehensible.

If they can get Rose Tattoo, and get it to run, that's highly recommended. There is some pixel hunting in that, but its well worth it.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:48 PM   #6
Stalker of Britain

Hi Dun!!! Welcome to the forums!! It's nice you're trying to help your parents mind something they'd like. You like adventure games, too, right? lol

Well, your mother may like "The Lost Crown", or "Overclocked". The stories are good, a bit science fictiony, but not too outright 'aliens' or anything. Overclocked has been said to have very easy puzzles; more like an interactive story.

Not sure about your dad. A detective story...has he tried Art of Murder? I haven't really followed them closely, but I think they are realistic.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 03-14-2009, 08:35 AM   #7

There is also of course the CSI series, though from what I've heard, avoid the CSI:NY game. They are a bit simplistic but entertaining enough in their own way.

For a mystery, there is also Still Life.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:22 AM   #8

Quote:
My parents are borderline ancient, but they've played adventures ever since we got a computer.
OMG --- that makes me antediluvial or worse !!

I'm over 84 y.o. and over the past decade have alpha & beta tested nearly 50 Quest-Adventures and written about 40 walkthrus.

At present I'm beta testing 3 games and pre-alpha testing one.!

What about the 2 (or is it 3) Agatha Christie games and maybe the Frogwares Sherlock Holmes games (maybe Nemesis ??).
Also what about the Carol Reed mysteries for both parents --- I would recommend starting with the latest i.e. The Colour of Murder

'You are old, Father William', the young man said,
'And your hair has become very white;
And yet you incessantly stand on your head --
Do you think, at your age, it is right?'

'In my youth', Father William replied to his son,
'I feared it might injure the brain;
But, now that I'm perfectly sure I have none,
Why, I do it again and again.'

'You are old', said the youth, 'as I mentioned before,
And have grown most uncommonly fat;
Yet you turned a back-somersault in at the door --
Pray, what is the reason of that?'

'In my youth', said the sage, as he shook his grey locks,
'I kept all my limbs very supple
By the use of this ointment - one shilling the box -
Allow me to sell you a couple?'

'You are old', said the youth, 'and your jaws are too weak
For anything tougher than suet;
Yet you finished the goose, with the bones and the beak -
Pray, how did you manage to do it?'

'In my youth', said his father, 'I took to the law,
And argued each case with my wife;
And the muscular strength, which it gave to my jaw,
Has lasted the rest of my life.'

'You are old', said the youth, 'one would hardly suppose
That your eye was as steady as ever;
Yet you balanced an eel on the end of your nose -
What made you so awfully clever?'

'I have answered three questions, and that is enough,'
Said his father, 'don't give yourself airs!
Do you think I can listen all day to such stuff?
Be off, or I'll kick you downstairs!'.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:28 AM   #9
Monkeyboy

for a good detective story, I would recommend the Tex Murphy series seems to fit your fathers criterias pretty well. and since there is a buil in hint system, the few puzzles that are in there really shouldn't be a problem. I think he'd love those
Old 03-16-2009, 02:08 AM   #10

The Tex games were IMO amongst the very best ever.--- Top of my list !
However elderly or mature relative newbies may have some difficulties with the navigation.

Also the games are fairly old themselves and may need a fair bit of tweaking.

BTW :- The abovementioned Carol Reed "Colour of Murder" has a first class built in dynamic hint system at least as good as that of the Tex games (and my [too] detailed comprehensive & detailed walkthrough in case or problems!).

Last edited by Len Green; 03-16-2009 at 02:18 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanIdaho View Post
My parents are borderline ancient, but they've played adventures ever since we got a computer. So what games would you recommend for people over the age of 50?
Goodness !!!!

I am 63 I guess I should just fold up the tent and go away. When you reach over 50 I wonder if you will feel "ancient"

Remember, You are never to old to play, you get old when you stop playing.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:36 PM   #12

For Sprightly Youthful Pappy: For a detective Neo-Noir Thriller\Mystery, I highly recommend Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers. He may also like the psychological chiller, I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream. The Police Quest series is an oldie but a goodie. A newer detective story, Sinking Island is worth a go too.

For Spring-Chicken Still Smokin' Hot Doesn't-Look-A-Day-Over-21 Ma: Day of the Tentacle, Discworld, Leisure Suit Larry 7 and the new Sam & Max episodic series for comedy.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:14 AM   #13

Back from the past...

I have failed.

I wanted to find Tex Murphy, but couldn't find a copy, instead I brought them Sherlock Holmes Nemesis, which they haven't touched because they find the controls gruellingly annoying. I got them Evil Under the Sun, and its sequel... both games are collecting dust.

They're playing casual games now, and it bothers me to no end.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:39 AM   #14
Senior *female* member

If it's any consolation to you, Duncan, they would have hated the controls of 3D Tex Murphy too.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:26 AM   #15

Evil Under the Sun has a sequel? I think not, it it's Death on the Nile I believe that is a different company. Orient Express and And then there were none were made before Evil Under the Sun.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #16

What about Post Mortem or Still Life for your father and maybe The Longest Journey (the first one) for your mother?

Sinking Island could also be an option for your father, Overclocked as Well. Ceville and A Vampyre Story I think your mother will like; they have some of the same humour found in the Monkey Island games. (and they are third person point and click)

Art of Murder and Secret Files: Tunguska might ne nice, too. (and the best part of these game is that by hitting the space bar, the hotspots will reveal themselves to you...)