You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Monkey Island 5???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2009, 07:57 PM   #1

Default Monkey Island 5???

Whats goin with Lucas Arts??
When are we going to see MI 5?
Why does Lucas Arts and George Lucas spend all their time on Star Wars??
I can see they making adventure games still for Indian Jones, but even that is not the SCUMM style they made it like TOmb Raider, what the heck is going on???
Are Lucas Arts stop making monkey island because it brings in poor sales, is it a small profit or no profit comapred to Star Wars games?

Love to hear from you guys, im vexed with not seeing monkey Island 5. I just installed broken sword 1 on my Vista and getting back into the old classics. Might even consider Full throttle and DIG

Yeaaahhhhhh!!!
Old 03-17-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
Stalker of Britain

Hi Ali!!! Welcome to the forums!!

I'm not sure about what's going on with LucasArts, since I'm not a fan of the series, since I've never played them. But I'm sure some other member more knowledgable than me on this subject will step up.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 03-18-2009, 02:26 AM   #3

I think I can answer questions 2-5.

#2 I highly doubt it. LucasArts is currently running with Activision and you saw what they did to Vivendi Universal.

#3 Star Wars is by far their prime money maker. They'll probably still be making Star Wars game long after I'm in the ground.

#4 As for the Tomb Raider feel it's more or less the other way around. Tomb Raider just beat LA to the punch on tech and has started to become like Rocky movies. They keep saying that the current one will be the last but they make another one anyway.

#5 I'm not sure about poor sales. I think they more or less finalized the series in Escape from Monkey Island. Also LeChuck has been pretty much every type of evil creature you can think of. Even if they were planning on bring him back to life for another round, what could they bring him as? He's already been a ghost, a zombie, a demon, and a politician. They'd have to really scrape the bottom of the barrel for a new idea on this one I think.

"Bring back the Sacred Diamond of the Old Sage of the Mountain and he will give you the magic talisman. Oh man. What am I in a video game?" - Tyler Miles
Old 03-18-2009, 03:25 AM   #4
Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
Also LeChuck has been pretty much every type of evil creature you can think of. Even if they were planning on bring him back to life for another round, what could they bring him as? He's already been a ghost, a zombie, a demon, and a politician. They'd have to really scrape the bottom of the barrel for a new idea on this one I think.
A werewolf!
Old 03-18-2009, 03:51 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
#2 I highly doubt it. LucasArts is currently running with Activision and you saw what they did to Vivendi Universal.
This makes me ache. Every time.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 03-18-2009, 04:18 AM   #6

I hate to ask, but what did they do to Vivendi Universal?
Old 03-18-2009, 08:59 AM   #7
Life and times of...

Must be something terrible, as Vivendi wasn't exactly all peachy to begin with...
Old 03-18-2009, 09:20 AM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon

I think Lucasarts has basically decided to abandon the PC market. I know someone who is angry that they aren't doing the Force Unleashed Star Wars game on PC. Lucasarts excuse is basically that hte PC couldn't handle it, yet there are versions for the PS2, Wii, and even the N-Gage.

Frankly Lucasarts seems to no longer be interested in the PC market at all.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:21 AM   #9

I just googled Activision and Vivendi and found that they are merging. Is this a bad thing? How does it impact gaming?

Sorry if this is a stupid question...

Edit: Now I see...

Last edited by SharonB; 03-18-2009 at 09:25 AM. Reason: saw new post
Old 03-18-2009, 09:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonB View Post
I just googled Activision and Vivendi and found that they are merging. Is this a bad thing? How does it impact gaming?

Sorry if this is a stupid question...

Edit: Now I see...
http://www.adventuregamers.com/blogitem.php?id=54
Old 03-18-2009, 11:13 AM   #11

Yeah that pretty much covers it. Activision cancelled alot of possibly good games that were all ready finished and ready for production such as Brutal Legend, Ghostbusters, and LSL box Ofice Bust. They don't like "sideline" games it seems. They only want to make premium titles that are gauranteed to sell. Activision is an old company but they don't act like an old company unless you describe them as Scrooge.

"Bring back the Sacred Diamond of the Old Sage of the Mountain and he will give you the magic talisman. Oh man. What am I in a video game?" - Tyler Miles
Old 03-18-2009, 11:20 AM   #12

Activision in name only?

In much the same way that the Atari name is still around but bears little resemblance to the old Atari.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:32 PM   #13

Quote:
I think I can answer questions 2-5.

#3 Star Wars is by far their prime money maker. They'll probably still be making Star Wars game long after I'm in the ground.

#4 As for the Tomb Raider feel it's more or less the other way around. Tomb Raider just beat LA to the punch on tech and has started to become like Rocky movies. They keep saying that the current one will be the last but they make another one anyway.

#5 I'm not sure about poor sales. I think they more or less finalized the series in Escape from Monkey Island. Also LeChuck has been pretty much every type of evil creature you can think of. Even if they were planning on bring him back to life for another round, what could they bring him as? He's already been a ghost, a zombie, a demon, and a politician. They'd have to really scrape the bottom of the barrel for a new idea on this one I think.
Vampire LeChuck?

I bet we can expect an "unofficial" Monkey5 before LucasArts does anything about it.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:12 PM   #14

Possible. I've noticed alot of fan based games coming out based on classics from Sierra and LucasArts.

BTW "How apropriate. You fight like a cow!" I love insult sword fighting. Much better and funnier than that blasted Monkey Kombat.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:27 PM   #15

So when the voodoo lady said she's under a 5 game contract.... she was lying!?

Oh noez!!!
Old 03-19-2009, 12:26 AM   #16
LA-S-LE

Quote:
Yeah that pretty much covers it. Activision cancelled alot of possibly good games that were all ready finished and ready for production such as Brutal Legend, Ghostbusters, and LSL box Ofice Bust. They don't like "sideline" games it seems. They only want to make premium titles that are gauranteed to sell. Activision is an old company but they don't act like an old company unless you describe them as Scrooge.
But they are still in production under different publishers, not to mention they have little to do with adventure genre. If there's someone to blame for killing adventures, it's Vivendi.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:14 AM   #17

Is it Vivendi though?

If you remember Sierra's turbulent history there was a company before Vivendi took over Sierra. I was waiting on the Babylon 5:Into the Fire combat game from Sierra and remember when it was cancelled along with some other promising games including Warcraft Adventures.

The company that I remember taking over Sierra at that time was called Havas.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:50 AM   #18

Do we really want lucasarts to make another monkey island?
Is there anyone left in the company that's worthy of writing it?
If they come out with another MI it'll probably be a co-op FPS.
If another monkey island is made they're gunna need to hire Ron Gilbert and/or Dave Grossman and Tim Schafer to be involved in the development otherwise I think we'll all be in for another serious disappointment.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #19

After Escape (and to a much lesser extent Curse), I couldnt care less..and lets face it I doubt we are ever gonna see one anyway. 1 & 2 however are masterpieces, just recently replayed em and 2 is just as perfect as when it was released. Easily LucasArts finest moment.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:21 AM   #20
Hardcore Adventurer

In my opinion, before bringing a MI5, what Lucasarts should do first is revamp the series in a similar way Revolution did by bringing the Broken Sword franchise to the Wii with additional stuff as compared to the original.

If they brought Monkey Island 3 with new stuff to the Wii (i.e. a director's cut of MI3) and it sells well, then maybe they could reconsider bringing a MI5 to the market.