You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Which RPG/Adventure game shall I buy next?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2009, 01:58 PM   #1

Default Which RPG/Adventure game shall I buy next?

Hi all, recently joined the forum as I've just fixed my pc and would like a new game to play.

I used to play a lot of games when I was younger but haven't really played any for years.

My favourite games included, Grime Fandango, Final Fantasy, Monkey Island, Broken Sword (1 and 2, was dissapointed with the newest release), Metal Gear Solid and more.

I like the adventure and role playing games on the PC, especially the point and clicks.

I was just wondering what games you'd advise me to buy knowing the above? As I've got no knowledge of PC rpgs and adventure games anymore.

Can be old as well as new there maybe some good one's I never played but newer ones are what I'm looking for mainly.

Hope you can help thanks
Old 02-27-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome to AG PureSkeng.

While you wait for some replies, you can start with this thread. There's some game recommendations for specific themes as well as links to the main page with game into pages and reviews (so you can look up any recommendations you get here).

I hope you enjoy your stay!
Old 02-27-2009, 03:23 PM   #3

Thanks a lot looks good I'll have a read now
Old 02-27-2009, 09:13 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to therabidfrog

Where does your experience with PC RPGs end? What was the last one you played?

"There be knockers down here..." - T.G. 1884

My review of The Path
Old 02-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #5
Throw baby

Send a message via AIM to Rather Dashing Send a message via MSN to Rather Dashing Send a message via Yahoo to Rather Dashing

And what kind of PC RPGs have you played?

If you haven't played them, the obvious PC RPG game recommendations(depending on your tastes in those games) would be Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, the old Fallout games, and The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.

What kind of Adventures do you like?

If you're going for comedy adventures, there's always Telltale's Sam and Max episodes and Ceville.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
Banned User

Not to mention Baulder's Gate 1 & 2, Icewindale 1 & 2, and my favorite American PC RPG, Planescape Torment.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Dashing View Post
And what kind of PC RPGs have you played?

If you haven't played them, the obvious PC RPG game recommendations(depending on your tastes in those games) would be Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, the old Fallout games, and The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.

What kind of Adventures do you like?

If you're going for comedy adventures, there's always Telltale's Sam and Max episodes and Ceville.
Thanks the ones in my original post are the main one's I've played. I prefer the more serious one's like Broken Sword though, the noir types are good as well.

There's an illuminati type mystery one that I might buy also they interest me (forgot the name of it now)
Click Here to view screenshots
Old 02-28-2009, 08:34 AM   #8

Drakensegn: The Dark Eye looks good. I'm a big fan of all three Gothic games. Fable as well if you haven't played it. Titans Quest is awesome if you're in for a more Diablo like experience. You might like Hellgate London. You can play the entire game off line. There's always Neverwinter Nights and it's sequal. Great games.

My review of The Path
Old 02-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #9

Thanks for the advice guys going to buy some of these tittles soon. Keep the advice coming
Old 02-28-2009, 02:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by therabidfrog View Post
...You might like Hellgate London. You can play the entire game off line..
Sorry but I can only advise you to stay away from Hellgate. It was alright playing it with other people but now they pretty much ceased all online support for it. It's EXTREMELY repetitive and should get really boring if you're playing alone.

If you like action RPGs, the best ones I can think of right now are Mass Effect, The Witcher, and Oblivion and can only highly recommend those.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/plat...?q=mass effect

http://www.metacritic.com/games/plat...?q=the witcher

http://www.metacritic.com/games/plat...ion?q=oblivion

Last edited by tastebud; 02-28-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastebud View Post
Sorry but I can only advise you to stay away from Hellgate. It was alright playing it with other people but now they pretty much ceased all online support for it. It's EXTREMELY repetitive and should get really boring if you're playing alone.

If you like action RPGs, the best ones I can think of right now are Mass Effect, The Witcher, and Oblivion and can only highly recommend those.

I'm more into point and click adventures but these look good thanks
Old 02-28-2009, 03:46 PM   #12

Quote:

Lies! But yeah some one should mention Morrowind or Oblivion. Great games. Viva Hellgate!

My review of The Path
Old 02-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #13

Ohhh yeah of course you should definitely check this out since you mentioned Broken Sword...

http://www.brokensword25.com/

It's a user made sequel to Broken Sword but it's better than Broken Sword 3 and 4. It's really short but hey it's a free download and it's good old school fun. Really high quality for a fan project too. I THINK it's out in English now but I'm not that sure... when it first came out a few months ago it was only in German. Definitely play that.

EDIT: Ahh damn looks like it's not out in English yet sorry to get your hopes up lol. But keep an eye on it! They're still working on the translations. Can't take that much longer.

Last edited by tastebud; 02-28-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:59 PM   #14

Well here's another suggestion lol. I'm playing through Ceville right now which came out a few days ago and so far I really like it. It's an old school point and click adventure with 3-D graphics. It's nice and colorful and has a fun atmosphere. It's also available on Steam if you use that by the way.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #15

After looking through all the suggestions and doing some of my own research these are the games i'm thinking about purchasing.

Culpa Innata
Still Life
Sherlock Holmes The Awakened (Remastered for 3rd person)
Dream Fall
Syberia 1 & 2
Mass Effect 1 & 2

Has anyone played any of these and could they possibly let me know what they thought briefly as I'm worried I'll buy a game and dislike it. I've looked into the gameplay of these and they look good but sometimes you never know till you actually play it.

I couldn't help but feel it's a shame the days of point and click broken sword type games are gone as I was looking through mounds of new adventure games on the net .

Also I was going to get the Atlantis games as well until I realised the gameplay is in first person . I find this just ruins an adventure game and sadly keep seeing more and more 1st person adventure games. There's several games I would have also liked to purchase had they not been 1st person (Darkness Within in particular).
Old 02-28-2009, 05:41 PM   #16
Super Moderator

Quote:
EDIT: Ahh damn looks like it's not out in English yet sorry to get your hopes up lol. But keep an eye on it! They're still working on the translations. Can't take that much longer.
It's only the voices that aren't done. The game's always been available, since release, with English subtitles.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Ohhh yeah of course you should definitely check this out since you mentioned Broken Sword...

http://www.brokensword25.com/

It's a user made sequel to Broken Sword but it's better than Broken Sword 3 and 4. It's really short but hey it's a free download and it's good old school fun. Really high quality for a fan project too. I THINK it's out in English now but I'm not that sure... when it first came out a few months ago it was only in German. Definitely play that.

Quote:
Well here's another suggestion lol. I'm playing through Ceville right now which came out a few days ago and so far I really like it. It's an old school point and click adventure with 3-D graphics. It's nice and colorful and has a fun atmosphere. It's also available on Steam if you use that by the way.
Wow thanks, that broken sword looks really good it's a shame I only speak english though lol.

Just checked Ceville out looks quite funny lol maybe a little childish but I'm considering it. It reminds me of Monkey Island Four slightly (which I failed to complete lol story line seemed exactly the same as 3. They should have kept with the 2d point and click also)
Old 02-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureSkeng View Post
After looking through all the suggestions and doing some of my own research these are the games i'm thinking about purchasing.

Culpa Innata
Still Life
Sherlock Holmes The Awakened (Remastered for 3rd person)
Dream Fall
Syberia 1 & 2
Mass Effect 1 & 2

Has anyone played any of these and could they possibly let me know what they thought briefly as I'm worried I'll buy a game and dislike it. I've looked into the gameplay of these and they look good but sometimes you never know till you actually play it.
I haven't played Culpa Innata. Still life is pretty good. It's really dark and pretty disturbing. Some of the riddles and dialogue were bad but I liked the atmosphere. There's a demo of that if you wanna try it first.

I love the new Sherlock Holmes games though I would recommend playing it in 1st person as I've mentioned in the other thread.... in which you said you don't like 1st person lol. You can switch back and forth between 1st and 3rd in that version so either way you should like it. There's a demo for that too.

Dreamfall was good but you should play The Longest Journey first if you haven't yet. It's the prequel to Dreamfall and old school point and click instead of the somewhat clunky controls and 3-D graphics of Dreamfall. If you like The Longest Journey, you should get Dreamfall afterwards just for the story. Demo for both of those available as far as I remember.

Syberia 1 & 2 I really enjoyed too but it's a love it or hate it kind of series. I really like the atmosphere and find it immersing and mysterious. Others find it just plain boring. Demos out for those too.

And Mass Effect I already recommended. Sadly there's no demo for that I think.

Oh and by the way... you didn't mention The Witcher on your list but that game has a really big demo (a couple gigs I think) which includes the entire first chapter of the game. I still say give it a try cause IMO it's better than all of the above Enjoy!
Old 02-28-2009, 06:13 PM   #19

Thanks tastebud really helpful there, I actually put The Witcher down but I was unsure as it just looked like constant fighting on the few previews I saw? And is it not hard to control on the pc using only arrow keys?

I've just looked at the longest journey thanks I really like the look of this I'll deffinatly buy it first. Looks like I'll be spending my next pay slip on adventure games and not leaving the house for a month lol.

I'm also looking forward to Alan Wake being released
Old 02-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #20

I've played most of the games on the list and they are very good choices. Mass Effect 2 however, has not been released yet. Do play Still Life because Still Life 2 should be coming out in a couple of months. I don't know where you live but at my Walmart Mass Effect is selling for $19.99. Don't miss that game, it's amazing!!!