You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure How do you play/behave?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
A bit off the original question, but pertaining to the original tread title:

How Do You Start a Game? Do you read the manual first, or just dive right in?

I read all of what the box says, to "get in the mood", then skim through the manual for background information about the characters/plot, or to see if the interface is usual, or not. Then I play through the game.
I have to read everything on the box first before I play, and then I read through the manual while the game's installing. Even though I know how to play adventure games by now, I still like to read it.

Quote:
Do games even come with manuals any more? I get all my games through Thrift Stores, Steam, or Big Fish. Maybe I'll get something out right, but I generally don't even bother reading the manual. If you've played one AG, FPS, Racing Game blah blah blah you've played them all. Not to mention most games have tutorials now. I'll read the manual during..... well in the comfort room
I hate it when they don't include a manual.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #42
Stalker of Britain

I know what you mean, CW. When I buy something on Amazon, I make sure it comes with the box/manual. I love reading the manual for any background info, like in the Scratches manual.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 04-02-2009, 01:35 AM   #43

I always read the manual, especially if there is an "Options". It's good to know what adjustments you can make and special set-ups.
I also read instructions for the inventory, they can differ quite a bit.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:17 AM   #44

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwapitm View Post
I have to read everything on the box first before I play, and then I read through the manual while the game's installing. Even though I know how to play adventure games by now, I still like to read it.
I do the exact same thing!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 04-02-2009, 02:24 AM   #45

Send a message via AIM to copycat

I'm a talkative guy: After I have inspected my surroundings, I usually have a chat with all possible NPCs and go through the complete dialogue tree. I also tend to pick-up every item immediately.

Recently finished: Fable – The Lost Chapters (Mac)
Old 04-02-2009, 09:06 AM   #46

I treat every game like a Sunday newspaper. First flip through every single page for a quick glance, then go back and start reading.
As for manuals, i read them when i get stuck in the game. Then i feel like a fool, because i didn't know i could combine items in the inventory by pressing F2 or something like that. Also they give the back story when the game intro doesn't. And if you played GK1 and a chapter wouldn't end, the solution to the "riddle" was written right there on the manual.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:11 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
A bit off the original question, but pertaining to the original tread title:

How Do You Start a Game? Do you read the manual first, or just dive right in?

I read all of what the box says, to "get in the mood", then skim through the manual for background information about the characters/plot, or to see if the interface is usual, or not. Then I play through the game.
Same here, I read the box, then the manual. Also have to agree with others about hate when the game doesn't have manuals. Although recent ones have included it as pdf in the game itself. I love the manuals that include some background story, some are great complements to the game. But sadly that looks like a thing of the past.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:37 AM   #48
Pixiehunter

Such a shame that manuals are not seen as often anymore. They help me get into the feel of the game. And sometimes it is useful to know about some uncommon things in for example the GUI or the controls.

As for how I play: I have a new way of making notes I make notes of the in-game facts in one colour, say, red, and in another colour, say, black, I write down my current speculations. What do I think now is going on,what do I think now is the significance of this sentence, who do I think now is the murderer, how do I think now the plot will revolve. That sort of thoughts.
I really like doing it this way. It makes me think about the plot more, and it is really funny to read back your earlier speculations, and see how far off or how close to the truth they were
Old 10-04-2009, 11:56 AM   #49
Lazy Bee

I could have sword I had replied to this thread before, but it seems I never got around to.
Anyway, I also carefully read the manual before staring a game. But I tend to avoid those parts that explains the first minutes of the game. Usually that's not where the really difficult puzzle are anyway.

When I start playing I always carefully explore one place at a time. Usually from left to right. (Don't ask! ) I also talk to everyone at that specific location and check all hot spots before I move on.
I also always take notes and draw sketches. I love solving puzzles where the solution becomes apparent from the notes and the drawings I have in my notebook.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #50

Looks like there are many completists, like me, here. I think Fantasysci's method is the most similar to mine. That is, dissect one scene at a time, then move on to the next one. I usually want to see/hear all the descriptions and messages, even responses to using wrong inventory items on things. I make exceptions to this if I don't enjoy the game so much, but I still usually feel I have to finish those I once started. That's an obsession I could live without, really.

I have actually asked myself this question many times. I have one (emphasis on 'one') friend who also likes adventure games, but he's not a narrow-minded adventure purist like me. In a perfect world we should be able to take on one of the more difficult games out there, and with our combined intelligence be able to finish it without online help (a dream of mine that's never going to be realised). We're playing Gabriel Knight I at the moment and are failing miserably. When I want to click every icon on every hot-spot he gets bored - the game has an 8-icon interface - and when he tries to rush through every scene I get frustrated from missing out on all the extras. My incompetence at difficult puzzles, combined with his impatience, lead to even more UHS hints than usual. Sigh. Why can't all people be like me, only smarter?
Old 10-05-2009, 03:21 AM   #51

Never really thought about this before. I think I take each room at a time. Look at everything, at least try to pick up everything. In the old point 'n click games I didn't always interact with everything at first (like use, pull or push), but that's not really an issue with modern games where you just have to click on something and your character will automatically perform the best suited action (even picking up stuff).

I refrain from going into the next area, because I've had it happen many times that I wasn't able to go back.

But when I get too involved with the story, I often skip things and immediately do the things asked of me. Not a very good strategy, because I often miss things this way, and when I get stuck, the solution often lies in backtracking.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 10-08-2009, 07:44 AM   #52
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

I always explore the whole scene first... then I piece things together or pick up the item that I know I'll probably need. Part of the fun of a game for me is thorough exploration.