You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure So Blonde shoots itself in the foot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #1

Default So Blonde shoots itself in the foot

Its wonderful graphics, wonderful strength of character in providing an original concept in point and click adventure gaming - the "dumb blond that is funny but isn't that dumb" - and then bang, a completely disconnected set of puzzles right after the very first screens. It's not only difficult, but it becomes difficult precisely because it's all disconnected and makes little sense. e.g.
Spoiler:
using a funnel to destroy a lock?
common, seriously? Anyways. I suspect they were afraid they'd run out of screen art and got it complex in few screens.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #2

That along with the no map feature and long loading times is what ruined the game for me also... Is like they tried to make it difficult by cheating on the user and not by putting thought in puzzle and game design.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:05 PM   #3

Yeah, some of the puzzles are illogical. But no one complains about the illogical puzzles in The Longest Journey, Discworld, Monkey Island, etc. Why suddenly get up-at-arms about it for So Blonde? Were they supposedly looking for realism?
Old 02-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
Yeah, some of the puzzles are illogical. But no one complains about the illogical puzzles in The Longest Journey, Discworld, Monkey Island, etc. Why suddenly get up-at-arms about it for So Blonde? Were they supposedly looking for realism?
The difference in some of the games you mentioned is that while the puzzles may be illogical they are much easier to figure out and don't frustrate the player (at least not me). In so blonde to finally solve one of these illogical puzzles you have to travel to several locations through a whole island (without a map feature which makes it even more frustrating having to pass 4-5 screens to get to a location you need each time) waiting a very long amount of time for each screen to load and then try to combine everything with everything having dousins of items that you carry and a lot of hot spots to choose from, only to find out for example that
Spoiler:
the only thing you can throw to a bowling ball to make it fall from a self is a cork
. After that I can't blame anyone if he loses faith in the game and consults a walkthough each time he gets stuck.
And even with a walkthrough it took me far to much time to finish it because of all the walking and loading screens. I can't imagine why would someone enjoy this.

And since you mentioned it I found discworld similarly frustrating.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
I can't imagine why would someone enjoy this.
Because I found the characters compelling, the story interesting, the setting wonderfully atmospheric (especially at night) and Steve Ince's writing not only brilliant but also meaningful and, in certain moments, touching.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 02-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Because I found the characters compelling, the story interesting, the setting wonderfully atmospheric (especially at night) and Steve Ince's writing not only brilliant but also meaningful and, in certain moments, touching.
I have to agree completely here. I've already finished the game and enjoyed every minute of it. If there is one thing that earlier games should have taught people is when all else fails............... look way outside the box (and in garbage cans).
Old 02-07-2009, 06:22 PM   #7
Senior *female* member

I hated So Blonde...

Well, not at first, and not every minute of the game. Sunny had her funny moments. But the other characters were so dull, cliche, uninteresting. The endless backtracking was so immensely boring (that terrible jungle with the hateful and confusing question marks), the voiceacting of NPCs so unconvincing. Worst of all, the developers make me go ask A about B so that I can go to B and ask him about C, when all the time I know perfectly well that B is the person to see but that doesn't work. Gggggrrrrr....

Okay, I'm going to kick in the already open door: there's no accounting for taste.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:52 PM   #8
Strategy Guide Author

Heh, I'm actually about 3/4 through So Blonde right now and see both sides of the coin. Overall, I am enjoying the game but I do agree it has some faults.

I don't mind the "illogical" puzzles at all. Cat Mustache reality check. The door puzzle referenced by the original poster is actually pretty straight forward because Sunny is pretty good about explaining what needs to be done. I will concede a few others can be frustrating.

The load times I can see could be annoying. My computer handles them okay, it's only about a 2-3 second pause for me but if it was much longer I agree it would be irritating, especially since Chapter 3 of the game is like one seemingly endless walk around the island. A functional map would have been a big help.

I love the little mini-games as I think it's part of the charm and I do think the writing is enjoyable.

If So Blonde was a 1995 release, I think it would be thought of fondly. I think we're a lot tougher on new releases for some reason.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
I hated So Blonde...

Well, not at first, and not every minute of the game. Sunny had her funny moments. But the other characters were so dull, cliche, uninteresting. The endless backtracking was so immensely boring (that terrible jungle with the hateful and confusing question marks), the voiceacting of NPCs so unconvincing. Worst of all, the developers make me go ask A about B so that I can go to B and ask him about C, when all the time I know perfectly well that B is the person to see but that doesn't work. Gggggrrrrr....
That sums it up for me too more or less...
Old 02-08-2009, 02:04 AM   #10
Lazy Bee

I bought So Blonde because I like Steve Ince's work and wanted to give a cartoony game another chance.
But the loading times are completely ruining the experience for me. It's not 2-3 seconds like Phod is getting (lucky you). It's more like 30 seconds and since running back and forth generates several loadings I feel I'm mostly sitting and watching a picture of Sunny swimming underwater.
I've put it on hold until further and I think I eventually will print a walkthrough to follow, just to see the story through.

Last edited by Jelena; 02-08-2009 at 04:47 AM. Reason: correcting grammar
Old 02-08-2009, 03:58 AM   #11
Senior *female* member

Yes, after a while I got so frustrated with all the unnecessary walking that I started using a walkthrough to find out where I needed to go next. Something I haven't seen anyone mention: I often had problems getting Sunny to run. I would doubleclick and it didn't work, or it only worked on specific spots. Absolutely maddening. Anyone else have this problem?

PS: Only 2 or 3 seconds, Phod? Wow.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:28 AM   #12
Strategy Guide Author

Well I agree it is more with the map on, but I turned it off cause it did get totally old running through the jungle for the 80th time.

I'll admit to having an above average machine and as I said, I totally understand the gripe.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phod View Post
If So Blonde was a 1995 release, I think it would be thought of fondly. I think we're a lot tougher on new releases for some reason.
We're rightfully tougher on games now because this isn't 1995 anymore and we should expect more from retail titles nowadays. The medium has evolved since then and so should have the genre.

I have nothing against people enjoying the conventions of old adventure games, such as illogical puzzles, but I honestly believe that it's the type of thing that new adventures need to stay clear of if they want to appeal to a broader audience.

Now I haven't played So Blonde so I can't comment myself, but for a moment I'll just assume that some of the puzzles are quite tough and rather illogical. From the outside, this game seems perfect for maybe younger, female gamers looking to delve a bit deeper into gaming than Wii Sports. The graphics are vibrant, you play as a beautiful lead character trapped in an interesting situation -- people want to experience this world and flow through the story, completing interesting activities along the way. However, they don't want to be stuck within the first 20 minutes, trying to find a way to progress. Even if this doesn't apply to So Blonde, it applies to many other new adventure games and it kills the experience for a lot of people.

The reason adventure games are doing well on the DS is because they're more logical and accessible. I'd rather see some PC adventures like this that actually get people playing adventure games again, rather than really tough or illogical adventures that only appeal to the same old crowd. Then maybe we'll see the genre rising in the ranks again.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:45 AM   #14
Schättenjager

You know they used to make better this kind of games 10 years ago and what's changed ?(Trying for 3d so hard)

Last edited by Gabe; 02-09-2009 at 03:50 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
and then try to combine everything with everything having dousins of items that you carry and a lot of hot spots to choose from, only to find out for example that
Spoiler:
the only thing you can throw to a bowling ball to make it fall from a self is a cork
Your point is completely valid and I agree. I too got seriously angry about the cork puzzle. My point is 99% of all adventure games are like this.

I've played most of the classics and rarely have any of them had puzzles which make any logical sense, or are easy to figure out (assuming the stories are good enough to be bothered to pursue further).

I don't know about you, but I've just accepted whenever I buy a 3rd person adventure that that's the way they are and probably always will be. So why criticise So Blonde for having what just about every adventure has had before? This is why I find many of people's rants towards So Blonde so laughable.

Really, the only reason why item puzzles are ever challenging is because they're illogical. If puzzles in adventures were always logical, for most, they'd all be far too easy.

Quote:
And even with a walkthrough it took me far to much time to finish it because of all the walking and loading screens. I can't imagine why would someone enjoy this.
The loading takes me about 5 seconds each time. but yet again, going from one location to another without a map is something just about every adventure has, including TLJ, Grim Fandango, Rivan (now that's a game with teeth-grinding backtracking), etc.

Thankfully, the locations were gorgeous (although I'm biased though as I ADORE beach locations in videogames i.e. Farcry, DOA Volleyball, Beachlife, Mario Sunshine) so I've not gotten frustrated yet.

Quote:
Steve Ince's writing not only brilliant but also meaningful and, in certain moments, touching.
This is why I've kept at it. I'm halfway through chapter 3 and I'm intruiged with Morgan and one-eye's motives.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
Your point is completely valid and I agree. I too got seriously angry about the cork puzzle. My point is 99% of all adventure games are like this.

I've played most of the classics and rarely have any of them had puzzles which make any logical sense, or are easy to figure out (assuming the stories are good enough to be bothered to pursue further).

I don't know about you, but I've just accepted whenever I buy a 3rd person adventure that that's the way they are and probably always will be. So why criticise So Blonde for having what just about every adventure has had before? This is why I find many of people's rants towards So Blonde so laughable.

Really, the only reason why item puzzles are ever challenging is because they're illogical. If puzzles in adventures were always logical, for most, they'd all be far too easy.

The loading takes me about 5 seconds each time. but yet again, going from one location to another without a map is something just about every adventure has, including TLJ, Grim Fandango, Rivan (now that's a game with teeth-grinding backtracking), etc.

Thankfully, the locations were gorgeous (although I'm biased though as I ADORE beach locations in videogames i.e. Farcry, DOA Volleyball, Beachlife, Mario Sunshine) so I've not gotten frustrated yet.
Yes, I know what you mean about the inventory puzzles in adventure games being most of the time illogical, but that doesn't always mean they're bad or frustrating.
But if it was only for the puzzles I wouldn't complain, it's the combination of the no map feature, the loading times and the game/puzzle design. What I mean by "game/puzzle design" it's that right from the start of the game almost all locations are accessible which means each and every time you pick up a new object or learn something new from a character you must travel to all locations to combine the item with several hot spots and talk to all the characters in case there a new clue, which is time consuming and quite boring. Also, I didn't find the writing, the characters or the story nearly as brilliant as some of you make it out to be, to help me endure all this.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
but I honestly believe that it's the type of thing that new adventures need to stay clear of if they want to appeal to a broader audience.
The perfect balance is achieved with Sam n Max, the new ones.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:39 PM   #18
Strategy Guide Author

Having just finished So Blonde, I'll have to agree with more of the sentiment here. I really enjoyed the first chapter or chapter and a half but it definitely peters out in the end. There are some dropped subplots too which were odd and make me assume it was rushed to completion.

But the last couple chapters are just too much running around from place to place. That's okay sometimes but So Blonde makes you feel like they are purposely doing it just for the sake of lengthening the game or just laziness.

I'm glad I played it because I liked aspects of it but it definitely isn't without its faults.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:35 PM   #19
Senior *female* member

Quote:
There are some dropped subplots too which were odd and make me assume it was rushed to completion.
Yeah, the wife who wanted a birthday present or something for her chief, what was that all about??
Old 02-13-2009, 12:20 AM   #20
Writer-Designer

Quote:
There are some dropped subplots too which were odd and make me assume it was rushed to completion.
There are no dropped sub-plots, but some of them are left to the player to complete. We don't force your hand with everything.