You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure So how quickly you give up?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #1

Default So how quickly you give up?

I'm a bit of an impatient adventure gamer. I usually play adventure games either for their story or the humor. But lately i found myself looking into walkthrough's more and more. I get stuck, start getting frustraited so i look into a walkthrough. It's even worse with adventure games that feature a lot of locations, since i cannot stand backtracking to a location thats 7 screens away (i go mental if the character you're controling walks slowly), so i consult walkthrough just so i did everything.
I completed most of The Lost Crown with a walkthrough since i got fed up with walking large distances just to find out i've missed on object 10 screens away.

So my question is, how quickly do you give up, how quickly do you consult walkthroughs and is the adventure/puzzle aspect more important to you than story (or equal)? And do some adventure games infuriate you (if so which one's)?
Old 02-13-2009, 06:21 PM   #2

The only one that annoyed me was Sinking Island. Even in adventure mode you are on some sort of clock so certain things still happen right in the midle of conversations. Luckily the game tells you exactly where the character you were talking to went.

As for giving up? It takes alot before I finally state that I can't figure something out. I usually try to use everything and take alot of notes especially if I find a code or document that I can't take with me. I also have alot of patience. I tend to look at everything I can and pick up anything not nailed down. If I can't pick it up right then, I write down where it is for later. If I get stuck on a puzzle I usually take a break, step back, and try to think outside the box (sometimes way outside the box).
Old 02-13-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
Stalker of Britain

Hey all. I'm not really good at puzzles, at all, even though I've played a lot, and even Myst. I don't really "give up" on a game unless the plot is just horrible and doesn't grab me, AND there are no interesting characters. If there is but it's difficult to me, I just grab a walkthrough and continue through for the story.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 02-13-2009, 06:58 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to tobacos

I dont refer to walkthroughs untill i m really really stuck.i usually give myself only three hints per game,funny isnt it!!?
but i always feel the more i use walkthroughs the more i lose interest in the game

Last edited by tobacos; 02-13-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:02 PM   #5

Yeah I usually don't go for a walkthrough until after I've played it through once, just to see if I missed something interesting.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:30 PM   #6
Super Moderator

I don't know how quickly I give up, but online walkthroughs have definitely spoiled me. I wouldn't give up in the days they weren't available.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:08 PM   #7

In games that I consider to be well-designed, I rarely have to cheat, maybe consulting a guide once or twice throughout, but I give every game a good try. If I'm absolutely bewildered after 30 minutes of wandering around, then I'll usually do something about it.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:24 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to therabidfrog

Personally I would never consider consulting a walk through unless it's the last resort in terms of my patients. For instance I had to pretty much cheat my way through the last act of Barrow Hill. Unfortunately the vary nature of modern adventure gaming is it's impenetrable nature, and incomprehensible puzzle design.

I did not have to cheat through most of The Last Crown, but despite it being a genre that remains deer in my heart, it is a dated genre in need of some serious updates.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:09 AM   #9
3rd person fanatic :)

That varies greatly depending from the game. If the game tends to bee too difficult, and frustrating, then I take a peek into a walkthrough much more easily.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:11 AM   #10
3rd person fanatic :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
Yeah I usually don't go for a walkthrough until after I've played it through once, just to see if I missed something interesting.
This is interesting idea. Have to try it sometimes I usually wonder around and search everything in the game at the first time, though.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:23 AM   #11

Every time i have to use a walktrough, i less enjoy the game.But i just haven't got the patient. Realy hate it when the solution is just not logical

Spoiler:
In vampyre story, when i can't lit a torch with the fireplace, i am looking for another solution, maybe it needs fuel or something. But no, you can only lit a torch with a burning torch

Spoiler:
And in monkey island, don't know which one, the diving contest where you have to put someting in a oil bottle. When you try to put the wrong stuff in the bottle,the diver will notice you. So i am looking for another solution. But if you put the right stuff in his bottle, he doesn't see you doing it?????

This kind of solutions, really get me pissed off.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:33 AM   #12

I don't have a lot of patience... It basically depends on the game. A well designed and interesting game will make me more reluctant to use a walkthrough trying not to ruin the game experience. That said I almost always will use a walkthrough...even if it is only for one or two puzzles for a game.
There are cases where the game can't keep my interest and I simply use the walkthrough to see the story.
And there are cases where I use a walkthrough for a puzzle only to find out it has a really stupid solution, that ruins my trust to the game designers and the moment I get stuck again I resort immediately to a walkthrough thinking the puzzle could be equally stupid and I should waste my time figuring it out.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:54 AM   #13

Well i couldn't finish So Blonde. After 3 or 4 totally illogical puzzles the game just pissed me off so much i gave up. The story didn't keep me interested enough.
I've recently completed The Case of the Rose Tattoo, which i must say i really enjoyed. The only time i had to resort to the walkthrough was when i completely forgot what i was supposed to do (there are A LOT of locations). But the game is more story driven than most adventure games, and most things are accomplished by talking, so it's really hard to get stuck. Also played Blade Runner, which is a game that you almost cannot get stuck (not to mention walkthroughs don't do much good since the game is so non linear).

But I was really disappointed by the puzzle side of The Lost Crown, thank god the story kept me really interested otherwise i'd have given up very quickly.

Maybe my mistake is i don't take my time with adventure games. I usually start a game and intend to finish it (don't play other games). So when i get stuck i want to proceed right away.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:23 AM   #14
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

I try really hard to avoid using UHS, so I'll be stuck for a few days before I finally either figure it out for myself or resort to UHS. Sometimes I'll temporarily switch to a second or third game while I'm stuck. (Just recently finished six games in a row without using UHS, a new record for me! )

Right now I'm playing Paradise, and I was stuck for days wandering around the harem. After checking UHS, it turned out I missed a darn hotspot! D'oh! A lot of objects and hotspots tend to be missed in Benoît Sokal's games. (Amerzone, Syberia I & II)

That reminds me, there was someone who recently posted in this forum (can't remember who or exactly which thread) about having dozens of games sit on his shelf unfinished because he absolutely refused (almost stubbornly) to use any hints or WTs because he didn't want to "cheat"!
Old 02-14-2009, 07:23 AM   #15

I remember the day waaaay back when I got the first broken sword. I loved the game and since i had no internet connection i couldn't grab for a walkthrough... I've beaten the game and it felt brilliant.

You know the feeling when you "get" the puzzle and your character finally does the right thing... Priceless!

Nowadays... it's easier to just take a peak into the walkthrough, but i tend not to until i really get stuck and have no idea what to do.

In most cases after i read what i'm supposed to do i go something like: "Arrrgghhh *random mumbling* that's so obvious! Should've thought of that."
Old 02-14-2009, 07:34 AM   #16
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysryn View Post
In most cases after i read what i'm supposed to do i go something like: "Arrrgghhh *random mumbling* that's so obvious! Should've thought of that."
Yeah, exactly. Annoying when that happens.

With my earlier adventure games - Simon the Sorcerer, Broken Sword, Titanic: Adventure Out of Time - me and my brother had to work them out ourselves as we didn't have the internet or even knew what 'walkthroughs' were. Which in the long run was great as we spent more time with those games and enjoyed them more. So, i guess walkthroughs have spoiled me quite a bit since then.

If i ever get a new adventure game i'll try really hard to resist the temptation of using a walkthrough. If i enjoy the game then the resistence tends to be stronger. However, if i'm not fussed about the game, i find it boring, just want to progress through the story, or really can't get my head around a puzzle after a certain amount of days, i'll use it. This usually happens more than once. And i'll definitely use one if i come across any logic/brain-teaser puzzles. But overall, i don't think i'm too bad with puzzles. I'm not great, but i wouldn't say i suck at them either.

EDIT: I'll also try and use UHS instead of just a-fully-explained walkthrough. Even if i only get 2-3 hints and still manage to solve the rest of game, i still feel satisfied with how much i've done by myself.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour

Last edited by DustyShinigami; 02-14-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:08 AM   #17

Pretty easily actually. I don't pretend that I'm good at adventure games. Even just now I'm playing Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches and I'm using a walkthrough for most of it because I just can't be bothered to check every location repetitively like the game asks me to do. I get impatient quick, but I have no shame. I still really enjoy the game, and yes I do play adventure games for the story, not the puzzles. Perhaps I'm just a lazy gamer.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:31 AM   #18
Lazy Bee

I don't give up easy. If I can't solve the puzzle I usually leave it until the next day. After a good night sleep I surprisingly often find myself seeing solutions I didn't see the day before.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #19

I give up pretty quickly in an AG. Mostly because I really suck at puzzle solving. I may give it a 1/2 hr or so, and then go to a walkthrough. I don't like to use them, but as someone else said, I play AG's mostly for the story, not the puzzles.

I'm playing Dark Fall the Journal right now, and it is probably the hardest AG I've ever played. (although I'm pretty much a greenhorn in the genre) Even with a walkthrough, I'm having a tough time with some of the puzzles And in a way, it does lessen the impact of the story somewhat because I'm getting through the game faster than I probably should. But with Dark Fall, the story compensates for it in my humble opinion.

But for me there's no getting around this unfortunately. That's how bad I am at puzzles. And that's why I liked the Lost Crown so much. Although there were some very tough puzzles in the game, (where I did use a walkthrough), there was also quite a few things to do that didn't require me to decipher some cryptic code, or open some intricate lock. I actually got through large portions of Lost Crown without a walkthrough, which for me is amazing.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:30 PM   #20

Send a message via MSN to therabidfrog

How about in Return to Mysterious Island
Spoiler:

The part where you have to throw the thorns in the fire to make them pliable enough to bend into hooks.

Who the heck would have thought of that on there own? It stills drives me nuts thinking about it.