You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What % of your gaming is devoted to adventures?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #21
Schattenjäger

I go in phases - haven't played any adventure games for a while.

I'm picking up Sam & Max Season 1 soon.

At the moment I'm playing Baldur's Gate 1 with the Tutu mod.

I just bought The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, except I can't play it as my brother spends all his time on the new computer playing Warhammer Online.

I also just finished my first playthrough of Tales of Symphonia on Gamecube. I loved it for a while, but it dragged on and the ending was a little disappointing.

It's opened my horizons into JRPGS. To that end I downloaded Virtual Boy Advance and roms for: Golden Sun, the sequel, and Final Fantasy advance IV, V, VI. Haven't got far in them yet though.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:37 AM   #22

It depends on what is in the stores, I prefer to be 100%, but adventure games seem to be few and far between [when your computer cant run the new games].I fill the time in between adventure games with hidden object games and Wii sport games, I like scrabble on DS, I also enjoy the odd RPG on ps2 or ps3.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:15 PM   #23

I would say about 95% now. Some years ago it may have been more like 70%. These days I usually only play other genres when I've run out of adventure games to play, or I've hit a slump for some reason and want to try something different.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:54 PM   #24
tsa
Playing character

For me it depends on the device. On my computer I play adventure games almost exclusively, let's say 99.9 % or so. On my phone, the same holds for Sokoban.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:27 AM   #25
Caffein Queen

Well, it used to be 100% - but since I'm waiting for my bought games to arrive - and they are late - then I found Casual gaming to fill in the void.

Guess I went a little overboard, because I found Bigfish and have now purchased more than 30 games from there within a month, lol.

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 12-07-2008, 02:33 PM   #26
Pixiehunter

That would be about 98%. Adventure games are the only games that manage to capture my attention until the very end. (The only exception being the strategy game "Robin Hood - The Legend of Sherwood", but that was most likely because of the subject Oh, and some occasional bouts of Zuma).

I really tried other games, Dungeon Siege, and GTA SA, but they never really captured me. I missed the puzzeling too much I guess, and the gameplay got boring. (and I couldn't drive a few blocks in GTA without getting my car exploding and/or being busted because I couldn't drive right and ran over all people I encountered )
Old 12-07-2008, 03:17 PM   #27

I used to play adventure games 100% of the time. However in the past few years it has dropped to almost zero.

Maybe its just me but the ones that are out now just don't do it for me anymore.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:12 PM   #28
Codger

Less that 20% AG. Like Crimson Blue, there simply haven't been many games that meet my expectations, at least as evidenced by the demos.

For leisure I play hidden object games such as the Amazing Adventure games and occasionally a "casual game" such as the Jane Jensen and James Patterson collaboration.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Jkr View Post
I've been looking for the modern equivalent of Baldur's Gate but never seem to find it.
I haven't played it myself, but it seems that Neverwinter Nights 2 is quite similar to the Baldur's Gate series.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:23 AM   #30

Default Warm In Canada

I’m only interested in adventure games … a pity the good ones are far and few between. While waiting for a couple of promising follow-up games to come to North America, I decided to try Alias (strictly action). Don’t enjoy it at all. Although the movement of the main character is amazingly realistic, the non-stop fighting and sneaking around gets boring and sucks the adventure right out.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 12-19-2008, 10:51 PM   #31
Stalker of Britain

I'd have to say a solid 95%. I do like playing ONE role-playing game when the mood strikes me, and a real-time turn based fighting one on *rare* occasion.

Of course, this is on my computer. That's all I game on, but I do socially game with my friends on the X-Box with Halo, but I don't really count that, since I really only do it to be social.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 12-20-2008, 09:43 PM   #32
For honor and glory!

Send a message via AIM to Draiden Send a message via Yahoo to Draiden

Unfortunately adventure games are like 0% for me atm..MMORPG like LoTRO don't really count. I was playing the TellTale Sam n Max stuff (and loving it) a few months back in the summer tho'...I just quest for glory 2 remake from agdi but haven't had tiem to start up..hopefully post x-mas! =) Then it will be like 100%...for three days =p
Old 12-26-2008, 04:48 AM   #33

10% if something new comes out. I tend to buy all good new adventure games, which sadly is not that many.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:40 PM   #34

About 50% I guess.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:41 PM   #35
Adventurer

Hmm, I guess about 80%.

Just Finished: Mystery Stories: Mountains of Madness

Currently Playing: The Secrets of Atlantis
Old 01-10-2009, 05:58 PM   #36

Send a message via MSN to tobacos

200%!!.....for SURE!

Last edited by tobacos; 01-10-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:45 AM   #37

Nowadays - 100%.
I used to play Tony Hawk´s or Sims for a while back then, but now, when I have less time, I am devoted to adventure games only :-)
Old 01-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #38

Send a message via MSN to bananasloth

I'd have to say about 75% but it's decreasing, cause most of the new adventure games are not fun at all compared to the older ones. Right now Fallout3 and CoD4 consume most of my time, but if there were some enjoyable new adventure games on the horizon I bet I'd be playing those 24/7.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:40 AM   #39

Sadly I don't play very many AG's so I'd say about 15%. I like them quite a bit but I'm not very good at puzzle solving and tend to get frustrated. I then resort to a walkthrough which feels like cheating to me. I love the idea of them and if I hear of one that seems to have a good story with any sort of change in the gameplay, I'm on it like a fly to feces.

My hard drive went about 2 years ago and I had Win.98 on an older computer so I sparked up Amber Journeys Beyond. To be perfectly honest, I found Amber to be as good as, if not better than 99% of the newer AG's I've played. Kind of sad that a game over 10 years old can compete and be better than the slew of AG's that come out every year. There just doesn't seem to be much innovation in the genre.

There's a few I've found good. Even though Indigo Prophecy's ending was rather cliche, I throughly enjoyed the game even though some here question whether it's a true AG or not. I also really liked SH The Awakened and Culpa Innata. I'm currently playing Post Mortem, and even though I've had to use a walkthrough a couple of times I love the idea that it's not totally linear like the majority of AG's. Plus the story has me totally hooked.

It's tough for someone like myself who's not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to math or just plain logic, to try and figure out some of the puzzles in this genre. I'm at the
Spoiler:
alchemy puzzle
in PM and can honestly say that I could sit in front of my computer for the rest of my life and never figure out how to solve it without a walkthrough. I don't mind "cheating" in some games though if the story draws my in enough.

I should probably just give up on them entirely but for some reason I just can't! I keep thinking maybe I'll get smarter as I get older. But seeing as I'm in my mid 50's now, probably not going to happen.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:32 AM   #40

@ mgeorge:

I perfectly understand you. I am no good at solving puzzles.
I really liked Post Mortem but stopped playing when it came to solving puzzles.
Spoiler:
The room full of puzzles was too much for me,...
and my brother, who is quite good at it, refused to solve them for me... So I did not finish the game. Will finish it one day. Not very soon, as I would have to start again.