You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What % of your gaming is devoted to adventures?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2008, 12:45 PM   #1

Default What % of your gaming is devoted to adventures?

And what % of it would be devoted to adventures if there were more quality titles to chose from?

I devote roughly 80% of my gaming time (which is quite limited) to adventures. The rest is playing scrabble on my iTouch and Power Pro MLB on my DS.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:45 PM   #2

As much as I love adventures, I barely play them at all these days. I mean I'm psyched when something new is released that's good and I love replaying my favourites over and over again, but the last new adventure I played was Sam & Max: Season Two. I'm looking forward to A Vampyre Story and Gray Matter. So at the moment probably not much of my gaming time is used on adventures, which kind of sucks...

Even if there were dozens of great new adventures released I still wouldn't ignore the other genres...
Old 11-30-2008, 03:55 PM   #3

Almost none. The last adventures I enjoyed playing to completion were the Sam & Max titles. Otherwise, it's been back to shooters and RPGs.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thello View Post
Almost none. The last adventures I enjoyed playing to completion were the Sam & Max titles. Otherwise, it's been back to shooters and RPGs.
Which RPGs have your fancy these days? I've been looking for the modern equivalent of Baldur's Gate but never seem to find it.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:05 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I would say 75% adventures and 15% other titles (mostly RPGs, with some occasional, very bland, turn-based strategy title)
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 11-30-2008, 04:29 PM   #6

Less than 1%. I enjoy a lot of different genres, so it's got a lot of competition. I probably complete about 1 game every third year in the genre, because they're just not good enough to spend time on compared to games in other genres. It's pretty obvious that the bar for adventure games have been lowered the last 5-10 years, but I haven't lowered my own expectations and requirements to enjoy a game. If games like A Vampyre Story and So Blonde comes out regularly, I will spend more time with the genre. If not, then it's not a genre I will consider spend money on. I only support games that are worth supporting, not out of pity.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:31 PM   #7
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

My time is very limited and the proportions can vary greatly at different points in time. But I'm primarly an adventure gamer without a doubt.

Last edited by Ascovel; 11-30-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:08 PM   #8
Headbanger

80-70% adventure games sounds about right for me too. But the other games I play are very close to the adventure genre if you ask me.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:00 PM   #9
3rd person fanatic :)

Interesting question. My gaming-% Goes like this:

2,5D, 3rd person adventures: 60%
2D Console RPG's: 30 %
Puzzles and Tetris-like: 5%
Rally and other sports: 3%
Others: 2%*

*mainly console
adventures, like Silent
Hill 2 and alike

FPS-games are way too violent and story-lacking, but sometimes there are few exeptions that I play every now and then, for example Return To Castle Wolfenstein.

Last edited by MoonBird; 11-30-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:13 PM   #10
3rd person fanatic :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Jkr View Post
Which RPGs have your fancy these days? I've been looking for the modern equivalent of Baldur's Gate but never seem to find it.
I stay in the old classics released to SNES and PlayStation1 (You know, Chrono Trigger, Terranigma, Tales Of Phantasia, Arc The Lad, Wild Arms, etc.)
Old 12-01-2008, 12:51 AM   #11
Lazy Bee

100%
I discovered adventure gaming in my late 30s and have never been interested in any other kind of computer gaming.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:12 AM   #12
SSH
Super Scottish Hero

I spend far too much time playing Geo Challenge on facebook (anyone beaten 27000 ?) and not enough time playing adventures. But don't tell Jack, as I'm supposed to be doing a review!
Old 12-01-2008, 01:33 AM   #13

80%

The rest is some sports related and hidden object games
Old 12-01-2008, 02:07 AM   #14
Life and times of...

Hmm... Recently (and maybe usually too) maybe something like 40-50%. When I actually have time, that is. For a while now all my gaming has pretty much been short breaks between reading so I've just been playing some short attention-span requiring games. But then again, often I also have times when I play nothing but AGs for a long time...

Aside from AGs, I guess I do still play quite a lot of adventurish games though. A few interesting RPGs (KotORs, Jade Empire, Elder Scrolls), a couple more or less platformer(ish) games like Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, Mirror's Edge... And I guess I look for games with some sort of innovation.

So mainly story-driven, adventurish stuff even then
Old 12-01-2008, 04:12 AM   #15
The Quiet One

Not many anymore.

None of these newer adventures appeal to me. The new Sam & Max games do though, i'm curious about these Wallace & Gromit adventures and i was a bit excited about A Vampyre Story. Sadly, after playing the demo i'm a bit unsure. Maybe i will buy the full game at some point. But really apart from that, the bulk of them don't interest me. They all seem mediocre at best.

I'll just stick to some of the classics i've got, which i do replay once in a while. Most of my gaming now is spent on next-gen titles like action, action/adventures or shooters. Even then i tend to be a bit choosey. Not every action game or FPS appeals to me. Some i play have little to no plot while others do and are much prefered.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-01-2008, 09:06 AM   #16

These days it's been about 50% adventures and 50% other genres, like first-person shooters and RPGs, maybe a little Tomb Raider. I'm not into sports games or racing games or sims or mmorpgs.
Whenever a decent adventure comes along I usually drop all other games in order to concentrate on it.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:21 AM   #17
Dread Pirate

Other than my daily game of email Scrabble while at work, 100 percent of my gaming is point 'n' click adventures. In the past I dabbled in single-player RPGs but they never managed to hold my interest for very long, and I have no interest at all in shooters. So now I'm a pure adventure fanatic.

I learned at a young age that to the extent that I play games at all -- and it's maybe five to ten hours a week, tops, on a good week -- I was born to solve inventory puzzles and explore pre-rendered 2-D environments. And I'm quite happy to do so.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:53 PM   #18
Sik

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Jkr View Post
In case you haven't heard of it, Dragon Age: Origins is supposed to be very much like a modern equivalent of Baldur's Gate. It's not out quite yet, but anyone that's into adventure games should be used to waiting. I could say more about it, but if you're curious, there's a lot of information at http://dragonage.bioware.com/

Oh, and as for the actual topic, I play games 2-3 hours a day. If I get my hands on a good adventure game, that's the only thing I play until I finish it, so 100%. How often that happens depends on what's available, though. It's rare that I replay adventure games these days. After finishing A Vampyre Story, most of my gaming time has been spent on Warhammer Online and Fallout 3.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sik View Post
In case you haven't heard of it, Dragon Age: Origins is supposed to be very much like a modern equivalent of Baldur's Gate. It's not out quite yet, but anyone that's into adventure games should be used to waiting. I could say more about it, but if you're curious, there's a lot of information at http://dragonage.bioware.com/

Oh, and as for the actual topic, I play games 2-3 hours a day. If I get my hands on a good adventure game, that's the only thing I play until I finish it, so 100%. How often that happens depends on what's available, though. It's rare that I replay adventure games these days. After finishing A Vampyre Story, most of my gaming time has been spent on Warhammer Online and Fallout 3.
That game looks delicious!
Old 12-01-2008, 02:23 PM   #20
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

90%
Adventure games are pretty much all that I'm playing nowadays, with the occasional action-adventure thrown in for a change of pace. I just wish I had more spare time in so I didn't have to juggle my hobbies... A few of them have already taken a back seat in the last few years!