You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Jane Jensen Blog New Update!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2008, 06:33 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83
Default Jane Jensen Blog New Update!

Here

Very interesting read! Not to mention the gorgeous new art!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box

Last edited by AndreaDraco83; 11-21-2008 at 06:44 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:53 AM   #2
Dread Pirate

Thanks for pointing this out, Andrea!
Old 11-21-2008, 07:04 AM   #3

Great! These monthly blog postings are a real treat. It's interesting to hear about the development of the game from Wizarbox's viewpoint, as they've been very much in the background, not much more than a name and a logo and no mention of Gray Matter on their website, and so it's terrific to have a name and a voice speaking about the challenges of taking on such a project, and what they've done to make it more of a realization of Jane's vision.

I really appreciate the description of the game as being "a very story and character driven adventure" with puzzles that "serve the story and are integrated [in]to it." Which is exactly what adventure games of late have been sorely lacking in. Too many games have had very little gameplay, and the puzzles, rather than occuring naturally and growing from the world, have been tacked on, more like impediments to the goal rather than challenges to overcome that also illuminate aspects of the game world necessary to understand for story purposes as well as for moving the player closer to the goal. Jane's other games are stellar examples of this dual-purpose of game puzzles, and the quality of her writing is always first-rate. With this committed development team bringing to life what I'm sure is a detailed, atmospheric, well-written piece of interactive awesomeness, I think we have something truly special to look forward to.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:49 AM   #4

Thanks for letting us all know! I just checked the blog yesterday so I probably wouldn't have today.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
Headbanger

I thought that my expectations couldn't be any higher. But it still grows for every piece of information that is released.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:43 PM   #6

I'm really liking that this new company is making Gray Matter their own, not just finishing off someone elses work. It sounds like with Jane contributing her awesome writing and these guys matching it with stunning visuals and gameplay we're in for some awesome times ahead! The new art is pretty damn nice as well, especially the garden comparison shot. It looks as cool as the concept art which is always a good sign.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:21 AM   #7

Yes! The 3D rendering of the garden is really stunning: those statues already sent a shiver down my spine!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:00 AM   #8

I wonder what the significance of that sword is, in that circle of stones in the garden? What might be under the circle? The statues in the 2-D concept picture look like wraiths, but in the 3-D rendered image they look like monks.

All very intriguing...
Old 11-24-2008, 12:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmajik View Post
I wonder what the significance of that sword is, in that circle of stones in the garden?
I don't know exactly, but I'd bet it's a puzzle. Notice the sword is pointed exactly like a watch hand, possible toward one of the figures. The cobblestones also have interesting shapes, like you could press them to activate some mechanism. All very puzzle-y and old style, it seems. (And I don't mean that in a bad way!)
Old 12-18-2008, 06:00 AM   #10

Default Gray Matter: Another Update

You can find the new Gray Matter's blog entry here, alongside a new artwork and a downloadable story from Jane, just like Pause, the short fiction written back then to cover the time gap between GK1 and GK2!

Old 12-18-2008, 06:40 AM   #11
Schattenjäger

Andrea, you´re too fast for me, everytime when think i´m the first who discovered a Gray Matter update you´ve already found out about it.

This is awesome and probably our deepest insight view into the world of Gray Matter and it´s protagonists so far, can´t wait to read it!
Favorite games: Gabriel Knight series, Heavy Rain, Tex Murphy series, The Last Express, King's Quest 6 Phantasmagoria 1 and 2, The Lost Crown, Tender Loving Care, Blade Runner, Quest for Glory 4, Overclocked, The Dig, Dreamfall...
Old 12-18-2008, 07:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy2042 View Post
Andrea, you´re too fast for me, everytime when think i´m the first who discovered a Gray Matter update you´ve already found out about it.
And think that Simo beat me elsewhere ... We're all checking that website way too often, but sometimes it just pays out

I've to go to the dentist right now, and I read it when I'll come home: can't wait (also because of the dentist )

When you get a chance to read it, can you please post your comments? Thanks!

Old 12-18-2008, 07:17 AM   #13

And what an update it is! Very seasonal, too. I'll have to finish reading it later, but so far it's really bringing Samantha to life as a well-thought-out individual, and an original one at that.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:51 PM   #14
Headbanger

The story gives you a good understanding about who Samantha is. This game can very well be one of the best ever. Damn I'm excited!
Old 12-19-2008, 03:19 AM   #15
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Somehow I was expecting Sam to be a female Gabriel Knight. Her vulnerability took me by surprise. Very interesting character.

Anyone knows how old will she be in the game? Maybe it was already mentioned somewhere.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:08 AM   #16

Since she grew up in foster care, I assume that - at her 18th birthday - she abandoned her foster home. In the novella, Jane wrote that

Quote:
This was her fourth year in hostels at Christmas and it was always the same.
So I assume that, during 'Twas the night before, Sam is 22 years old, maybe a little less. Since Gray Matter will be set a year after the short story, I assume that she'll be around 22/23 years old during the game.

Gabriel was ten years older than Sam, during Sins of the Fathers, and this helps explaining his disenchanted, deluded attitude, whilst Sam is just exiting adolescence and her tenderness - which, like Gabriel, she tries (maybe less successfully) to suffocate - is appropriate to her age.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:22 AM   #17

This was a great background story!

Any information on which Q of 2009 is the game scheduled for? (Or more to the point - is there any chance it'll be released in Q1 or Q2??!?)
Old 12-20-2008, 09:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mutajon View Post
Any information on which Q of 2009 is the game scheduled for? (Or more to the point - is there any chance it'll be released in Q1 or Q2??!?)
Unfortunately we don't anything yet. I can only hope that it will be near the end of Q1

Old 12-20-2008, 01:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Unfortunately we don't anything yet. I can only hope that it will be near the end of Q1
I wish! Though I fear it is highly unlikely...
Old 12-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #20
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Since she grew up in foster care, I assume that - at her 18th birthday - she abandoned her foster home. In the novella, Jane wrote that

So I assume that, during 'Twas the night before, Sam is 22 years old, maybe a little less. Since Gray Matter will be set a year after the short story, I assume that she'll be around 22/23 years old during the game.

Gabriel was ten years older than Sam, during Sins of the Fathers, and this helps explaining his disenchanted, deluded attitude, whilst Sam is just exiting adolescence and her tenderness - which, like Gabriel, she tries (maybe less successfully) to suffocate - is appropriate to her age.
Thanks. I like that she is old enough to be considered mature. I'm usually not very fond of playing games with teenage main heroes.