You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure Gaming Rituals: Do You Have Any?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2004, 10:49 AM   #21
Escaped Monkey Island

Whever playing new adventures I love to try and make the toon do the stupidest things and see what their reaction is. Like trying to make Guybrush walk into the sun on SOMI. lol.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:02 AM   #22
guybrush_guy

i always have one saved game and name it my name. it also drives me crazy if there is no subtitles with sound. i feal muth more comfortable when i can read and hear what they are saying. I also take feakishly good care of my adventure games. i have a seperate shelf for thema nd there all in alplabetical order in perfict condition. i remember i had a very small scratch on my grim fandango cd. i almost cryed..

Old 03-08-2004, 11:12 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon
I always call my first save game "Start".

Every single time now that I think about it... Later save games get titles based on whats going on in the game.
Yep, the same. Only it's "début". And later on, when the game is not very easy, I have a Heu? (Er?) savegame.
That aside, I can't think of any habits, or rituals.
Oh yes, I always try to explore everything in a room, dialog options included, before I proceed to the next one. Which at times, in games like BS1, can be really boring.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:33 PM   #24
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I always call my first savegame 'Playing'. No matter what game it is.

Before playing a sequel, I ALWAYS replay the previous games.

I keep trying to get into Maniac Mansion...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-08-2004, 01:35 PM   #25

The keys under the door mat.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:38 PM   #26
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialFreak
The keys under the door mat.
LOL. Thanks a bunch for solving the first, easy puzzle .

Not that it works on PocketSCUMM - the controls seem screwed.

Anyways, I did get that far before ...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-08-2004, 01:39 PM   #27

I was wondering whether you would take it as a joke or not.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:49 PM   #28
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

I'm definitely a member of the "retarded savegame naming club," and this can be witnessed by you the reader by simply downloading the SCUMM Bar's ScummVM savegames for Monkey Island 1 and 2, which were contributed, names and all, by me.

That said, I frequently find myself wanting salty foods, especially when playing LEC games. That's probably weird.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 03-08-2004, 01:51 PM   #29

I always call my GK3 save games:

Gabriel Knight III: Gabriel Knight
or
Gabriel Knight III: Grace Nakimura
Old 03-08-2004, 10:24 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Order
Holy crap, that is exactly the same thing as used to do. Doesn't everyone do that?
Yeah I do it too, except I can't read in the car (get sick) so I have to wait till I get home then I read the manual while it's installing.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:43 AM   #31

I have to see and read everything, even the small standard copyright letters. And when playing the game I inspect every sreen to see all the little details. This way Syberia was a really long game for me and extremely enjoyable 'cause there was a lot of detail. And I always buy games the first day they are released, except ofcourse games before I had my PC.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:38 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by karel y2k4
I have to see and read everything, even the small standard copyright letters. And when playing the game I inspect every screen to see all the little details.
This reminds me of this guy called "me".
Old 03-12-2004, 05:30 AM   #33

A steaming cup of coffee by my side mmmmmmmmmmm......

Plus, I lock my door because people like distrubing me during those important movie sequences you can't pause!
Old 03-13-2004, 11:34 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycroft
Wow. This is great. I, too, have a save game naming ritual/habit. My first save game is called...'First' and so on. I rarely use more than two slots. The other one is aptly named 'Stuck'. A save game named 'Test' is not uncommon.

Oh and (don't ask me why) but I play games with all the lights turned off.
This is exactly what I do. Sometimes I'll use First Try, Try1, or something similar.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:47 AM   #35

When playing I have to LOOK at every item that the game will let me, and if I accidently pick up an item without looking at it I have to load a previous saved game and get back to that point. Also I look at it again when its in my inventory to see if there is another description.

This can make your game last FOREVER, ecsspecially like in the old Sierra games where everything had a description.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:00 AM   #36
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_minall
I always named my saves stupis names too e.g. in monkey island 2 id call em "HELP LECHUCK." i also did the one about reading everything about them before playing them. then i wud stay up til about 4 paying them.
I used to name my saves in a way that involved both my name and the name of the main character or the game in some way. I thought it was funny.

So I'd have saved games called Sambrush Threepwood, Sammy Calavera, Riddle of Master Sam, Sam Throttle, etc. Anyway, that habit kind of stopped, and now I generally just make all my primary saved games named Sam.

I also always save my game twice. The second save is always called "Backup." I've accidentally saved over games that I didn't want erased before, so this helps.

I actually had THREE different saves when I played through Grim Fandango. I thought Rubacava was so fun to just wander around that I made a saved game called "Enter Rubacava," which I saved just before leaving the city, so that I could go back and walk around town whenever I wanted.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:37 PM   #37
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush_guy
i only do with adventure games and when i did'nt drive. but, when my dad would take me to go get a new adventure game i would pick out the box in the best condition. when i got back into the car i would open verry carfully not to rip the box. then read every scrap of media possible. when i got home i would run to my room and install. i think the last game that i got really exicted that i was going to get was the longest journey.

Ooooh! I do exactly the same
Cool!

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games
Old 07-13-2004, 01:37 PM   #38
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Oh yes, I always try to explore everything in a room, dialog options included, before I proceed to the next one.
If that is a habit, I guess it's my only one except playing in dark. The rest (coffee, beer, even smokes are occasional). BTW my savegames range from 100ja1, 100ja2,... to gjsdhg and gr8eq or djkzjeoh or...

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 07-13-2004, 05:40 PM   #39
Codger

Pour stiff martini.

Insert CD.

Go through install process.

Open first scene and save.

Drink martini.

Play game.

Tim
Old 07-14-2004, 01:14 AM   #40