Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Adventure Gaming Rituals: Do You Have Any? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/2360-adventure-gaming-rituals-do-you-have-any.html)

D.C. 03-07-2004 05:25 PM

Adventure Gaming Rituals: Do You Have Any?

Do you have any adventure gaming rituals? Things you always do when you play a certain adventure game? For example, I always play GK3 towards the end of the year over a period of three days. Don't ask why... it's a force of habit. :)

AGA 03-07-2004 05:35 PM

It's not really a ritual, more of a habit. I always name my savegames "Save!!!!!" (5 exclamation marks, no more, no less), "Save1!!!!!", "Save2!!!!!" etc with the number increasing the more save slots are used.

D.C. 03-07-2004 05:49 PM

Yeah, habit would probably be a better way of describing it. :)

guybrush_guy 03-07-2004 05:55 PM

i only do with adventure games and when i did'nt drive. but, when my dad would take me to go get a new adventure game i would pick out the box in the best condition. when i got back into the car i would open verry carfully not to rip the box. then read every scrap of media possible. when i got home i would run to my room and install. i think the last game that i got really exicted that i was going to get was the longest journey.

Stinger 03-07-2004 06:51 PM

My adventure game ritual is called www.gamefaqs.com

(I have no self-control)

guybrush_guy 03-07-2004 06:55 PM

whats the fun in that? i admit i do use it occasionly. but once i do look at the site i find it harder not to look at it a second time around.

remixor 03-07-2004 08:04 PM

My adventure gaming ritual used to be "play good adventure games when they are released" but certain people seem to be trying to keep me from doing so.

LeisureSuitedLooney 03-07-2004 08:15 PM

Before starting any adventure game, I go out and kill a hobo. For luck. Haven't lost a game yet.

Bastich 03-07-2004 08:31 PM

I only play AGs in the nude... :P

Seriously though, I can't really think of much off-hand other than what AGA said. My save games are Bastich000...Bastich001... etc.

I did something rather strange today while playing Toonstruck. I actually pulled my bed away from the wall and all the way across the room so I could play the game in bed!!! LOL! I was propped up on pillows. It was pretty comfy to say the least. I am disappointed I didn't think of it earlier. Although on occasion my arms would fall asleep.

Glenn Epic 03-07-2004 10:30 PM

Quote:

i only do with adventure games and when i did'nt drive. but, when my dad would take me to go get a new adventure game i would pick out the box in the best condition. when i got back into the car i would open verry carfully not to rip the box. then read every scrap of media possible. when i got home i would run to my room and install. i think the last game that i got really exicted that i was going to get was the longest journey.
Holy crap, that is exactly the same thing as used to do. Doesn't everyone do that?

Paragon 03-08-2004 12:17 AM

I always call my first save game "Start".

Every single time now that I think about it... Later save games get titles based on whats going on in the game.

Kolzig 03-08-2004 01:27 AM

During the spring of every year I usually play The Secret of Monkey Island.

Leonardi 03-08-2004 04:12 AM

My save files are usually named after the name of the area I am at the game, but mid-saves I do just for the sake of being cautions are named after random keystrokes, like sdl;fks or askjd.

I also tend to play a very different adventure game from the previous one I have finished. For instance, last week I played and finished Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars and Broken Sword: The Smoking Mirror, and now I plan to play The Space Bar.

dave_minall 03-08-2004 04:31 AM

I always named my saves stupis names too e.g. in monkey island 2 id call em "HELP LECHUCK." i also did the one about reading everything about them before playing them. then i wud stay up til about 4 paying them.

Risingson 03-08-2004 05:25 AM

I replay at least two classic adventures every season. Last ones were Countdown and Police Quest 1.

James 03-08-2004 05:32 AM

Always start Grim Fandango with coffee and chocolate. Always play Monkey Island around Christmas. Play Broken Sword as all three games through (now). Play longest journey for a specified period each day (usually 30 mins) and no more.

mycroft 03-08-2004 06:56 AM

Wow. This is great. I, too, have a save game naming ritual/habit. My first save game is called...'First' and so on. I rarely use more than two slots. The other one is aptly named 'Stuck'. A save game named 'Test' is not uncommon.

This is not a ritual but a habit. I take excessively long to complete adventure games. I've been playing the ScummVM-enabled BASS since August, I like to savour the games. It is for this reason that I feel no need to replay adventure games.

Oh and (don't ask me why) but I play games with all the lights turned off.

RaMa 03-08-2004 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New_Order
Holy crap, that is exactly the same thing as used to do. Doesn't everyone do that?

I do.

I also play adventure games in the dark. It makes the immersement better. I also tend to drink a lot while playing :P.

Huz 03-08-2004 08:15 AM

I only have one saved game and I save very infrequently - at least on games where you can't irrovocably mess things up - although buggy modern games are slowly reforming this habit. The habit probably comes from having to save to 'microdrives' which could only store a very small number of files, so I had to save space. The first time this caused me a problem was when we had a power cut after about four hours of playing Fate of Atlantis without saving on an Amiga 600, which you'll know as a painfully slow experience if you've ever done it. :~ Nowadays I'm more likely to get "invalid instruction at address #F00445C" or something bringing me to a halt.

Anyway, I like to revisit 'good' bits of adventure games again, so on subsequent playthroughs I'll remember that there's a memorable bit coming up and save a separate game file. I had an Amiga floppy disk full of save games for like, every single Monkey Island and Fate of Atlantis cutscene ever, but I lost it. :~~~~~~

LauraMac 03-08-2004 08:47 AM

Only one saved game... life on the edge :eek:

Let's see I always use "First" as my first save, after that I name them something to do with where I am and what I am doing in the game.

I also use "Mom" if the game requires a player name. Because I partner with my sons on so many games. And uhm well I am "the Mom".

I always start notes (even if I end up with few of them at the end of the game) in a fresh section of a notebook. I only use LXE top flights now, they have pockets for each section and are reasonable in size.

I also have to play in the dark with just this one small lamp and headphones. Have to have the headphones, a fresh cup of coffee or glass of wine depending on the time. I really like the playing while in bed idea, hve to give that a shot.

Rituals nah I don't have them :7