You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure Gaming Rituals: Do You Have Any?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2004, 05:25 PM   #1

Default Adventure Gaming Rituals: Do You Have Any?

Do you have any adventure gaming rituals? Things you always do when you play a certain adventure game? For example, I always play GK3 towards the end of the year over a period of three days. Don't ask why... it's a force of habit.
Old 03-07-2004, 05:35 PM   #2
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

It's not really a ritual, more of a habit. I always name my savegames "Save!!!!!" (5 exclamation marks, no more, no less), "Save1!!!!!", "Save2!!!!!" etc with the number increasing the more save slots are used.
Old 03-07-2004, 05:49 PM   #3

Yeah, habit would probably be a better way of describing it.
Old 03-07-2004, 05:55 PM   #4
guybrush_guy

i only do with adventure games and when i did'nt drive. but, when my dad would take me to go get a new adventure game i would pick out the box in the best condition. when i got back into the car i would open verry carfully not to rip the box. then read every scrap of media possible. when i got home i would run to my room and install. i think the last game that i got really exicted that i was going to get was the longest journey.

Old 03-07-2004, 06:51 PM   #5
Retirement is stupid

My adventure game ritual is called www.gamefaqs.com

(I have no self-control)

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 03-07-2004, 06:55 PM   #6
guybrush_guy

whats the fun in that? i admit i do use it occasionly. but once i do look at the site i find it harder not to look at it a second time around.

Old 03-07-2004, 08:04 PM   #7
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

My adventure gaming ritual used to be "play good adventure games when they are released" but certain people seem to be trying to keep me from doing so.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 03-07-2004, 08:15 PM   #8
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Before starting any adventure game, I go out and kill a hobo. For luck. Haven't lost a game yet.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:31 PM   #9
Iconoclast

I only play AGs in the nude...

Seriously though, I can't really think of much off-hand other than what AGA said. My save games are Bastich000...Bastich001... etc.

I did something rather strange today while playing Toonstruck. I actually pulled my bed away from the wall and all the way across the room so I could play the game in bed!!! LOL! I was propped up on pillows. It was pretty comfy to say the least. I am disappointed I didn't think of it earlier. Although on occasion my arms would fall asleep.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:30 PM   #10
How am I not myself?

Quote:
i only do with adventure games and when i did'nt drive. but, when my dad would take me to go get a new adventure game i would pick out the box in the best condition. when i got back into the car i would open verry carfully not to rip the box. then read every scrap of media possible. when i got home i would run to my room and install. i think the last game that i got really exicted that i was going to get was the longest journey.
Holy crap, that is exactly the same thing as used to do. Doesn't everyone do that?
Old 03-08-2004, 12:17 AM   #11

I always call my first save game "Start".

Every single time now that I think about it... Later save games get titles based on whats going on in the game.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:27 AM   #12
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

During the spring of every year I usually play The Secret of Monkey Island.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:12 AM   #13

My save files are usually named after the name of the area I am at the game, but mid-saves I do just for the sake of being cautions are named after random keystrokes, like sdl;fks or askjd.

I also tend to play a very different adventure game from the previous one I have finished. For instance, last week I played and finished Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars and Broken Sword: The Smoking Mirror, and now I plan to play The Space Bar.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:31 AM   #14
Helooooo Bessie!

Send a message via MSN to dave_minall

I always named my saves stupis names too e.g. in monkey island 2 id call em "HELP LECHUCK." i also did the one about reading everything about them before playing them. then i wud stay up til about 4 paying them.
Pirate: A beard?!?
Old 03-08-2004, 05:25 AM   #15
Your average crooner

I replay at least two classic adventures every season. Last ones were Countdown and Police Quest 1.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:32 AM   #16
Prove it all night

Send a message via MSN to James

Always start Grim Fandango with coffee and chocolate. Always play Monkey Island around Christmas. Play Broken Sword as all three games through (now). Play longest journey for a specified period each day (usually 30 mins) and no more.
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." - Thomas Edward Lawrence
Old 03-08-2004, 06:56 AM   #17

Wow. This is great. I, too, have a save game naming ritual/habit. My first save game is called...'First' and so on. I rarely use more than two slots. The other one is aptly named 'Stuck'. A save game named 'Test' is not uncommon.

This is not a ritual but a habit. I take excessively long to complete adventure games. I've been playing the ScummVM-enabled BASS since August, I like to savour the games. It is for this reason that I feel no need to replay adventure games.

Oh and (don't ask me why) but I play games with all the lights turned off.

Old 03-08-2004, 06:59 AM   #18
Elder

Send a message via MSN to RaMa

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Order
Holy crap, that is exactly the same thing as used to do. Doesn't everyone do that?
I do.

I also play adventure games in the dark. It makes the immersement better. I also tend to drink a lot while playing .
Old 03-08-2004, 08:15 AM   #19
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

I only have one saved game and I save very infrequently - at least on games where you can't irrovocably mess things up - although buggy modern games are slowly reforming this habit. The habit probably comes from having to save to 'microdrives' which could only store a very small number of files, so I had to save space. The first time this caused me a problem was when we had a power cut after about four hours of playing Fate of Atlantis without saving on an Amiga 600, which you'll know as a painfully slow experience if you've ever done it. :~ Nowadays I'm more likely to get "invalid instruction at address #F00445C" or something bringing me to a halt.

Anyway, I like to revisit 'good' bits of adventure games again, so on subsequent playthroughs I'll remember that there's a memorable bit coming up and save a separate game file. I had an Amiga floppy disk full of save games for like, every single Monkey Island and Fate of Atlantis cutscene ever, but I lost it. :~~~~~~
Old 03-08-2004, 08:47 AM   #20
Bearly Here

Only one saved game... life on the edge :eek:

Let's see I always use "First" as my first save, after that I name them something to do with where I am and what I am doing in the game.

I also use "Mom" if the game requires a player name. Because I partner with my sons on so many games. And uhm well I am "the Mom".

I always start notes (even if I end up with few of them at the end of the game) in a fresh section of a notebook. I only use LXE top flights now, they have pockets for each section and are reasonable in size.

I also have to play in the dark with just this one small lamp and headphones. Have to have the headphones, a fresh cup of coffee or glass of wine depending on the time. I really like the playing while in bed idea, hve to give that a shot.

Rituals nah I don't have them