You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Just for kicks - My own letter to LucasArts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2004, 12:08 PM   #1
Hopeful skeptic

Default Just for kicks - My own letter to LucasArts

Marek encouraged us to "write the best freakin' email you've ever written, and send it to [email protected]", so I did. I have no reason to post it here, except that it took so bloody long to write, and I'd hate to think NO ONE will read it. Besides, it feels good to vent.

-------------------------------

Hello, LucasArts folks.

Interesting decision to cancel Sam & Max: Freelance Police. Presumably it was reached as the result of a number of equally limited resources - your obscure site survey several months ago and woefully incomplete sales figures, among them. Add to that your complete leadership void at the moment, and the disappointing unit sales of your non-Star Wars games of late. Yeah, in your shoes I'd probably be operating scared and short-sighted, too. Which is why I'd seek perspective before making any kneejerk moves that would hasten my own demise.

That IS what you're doing. You know that, right? For starters, in the course of one terse press release, you've managed to completely anger a legion of longtime Sam & Max, LEC, and graphic adventure fans. Tell me - in which business management course did they recommend pissing off one's fanbase? Oh right. They didn't, because it's supremely stupid.

Now, most people are savvy enough to understand that sacrifices need to be made in the world of business. The cancellation of Full Throttle 2 was a disappointment to many, but understandable. If a project is not progressing well enough to sustain its development, losses need to be cut. Agreed. Mind you, what LEC neglected horribly was any kind of conciliatory gesture towards those fans. A little token sympathy goes a long way to maintaining faith. A Public Relations approach of "Tough shit, cracka" is never a wise idea, but LEC saw fit to employ it anyway.

These same fans then watched as LEC peddled several lame, third party titles that the market predictably avoided. Fortunately, despite the warning flags of mismanagement starting to flap noticeably in the wind, there was reason to hope. A sequel to one of the company's most beloved games from its creative heyday was still scheduled, and despite rather sparse updates from LEC itself, was receiving a generous amount of (free) positive coverage by the gaming press. Purcell and Stemmle were again on board, the voice talent synonymous with the title characters were back, and by all accounts, the game was progressing as anticipated.

Until today.

Proving once again how much easier it is to destroy than create, the project has now been terminated in a puff of smoke. I think you're going to find, though, that this "puff" of smoke will actually become a billowing cloud that comes back to choke LEC. That's what happens when you're careless and reckless and playing with fire. You may think that the fire is manageable, and will subside in time. In some ways, you're right. It WILL subside, but it ISN'T manageable. You've thrown the match from safety of your corporate offices, but you have NO control over the destruction it will cause. Imagine your surprise when the fire starts burning poor LucasArts.

One can only imagine it's because none of the LEC top brass actually KNOW the industry at its grassroots level or understand gamers that they grossly underestimated the fallout of this move. Your arrogant attitude has now cost you fans... sorry, let me speak in commercialese so you'll relate... "consumers". And it has cost you in the worst way possible - publically. And it's getting more and more public all the time.

What you clearly fail to understand is that the first Sam & Max game represented the height of LucasArts' game development. In those days, the company's games were all fresh, imaginative efforts that oozed quality and character, in a time when the adventure genre flourished. Countless THOUSANDS of gamers "grew up" with games in this period, and LucasArts was revered. Star Wars had its own following independent of the publisher name, but LucasArts WAS Sam & Max, DOTT, Monkey Island, etc. These same gamers are now involved in the gaming press, fansites, and even mainstream media. These are the gamers you announced today were not worthy of the small investment needed to finish a game because you didn't believe it would make you enough money, and Sam and Max the property that didn't deserve to be released.

You're going to hear this refrain so much in the coming days that you'll want to puncture your eardrums rather than hear it one more time... You've made a BIG MISTAKE.

Take your noses out of the spreadsheets for a moment, and look out the window (figuratively speaking). What you'll see out THERE is what those papers in front of you WON'T tell you. So I'll fill you in. What's out there are the people you just pushed once too often. They watched as you became fringe players in the adventure genre, choosing to FOLLOW trends instead of setting them as you once did. They watched as you became slaves to your biggest properties (and coincidentally, they watched as you butchered the legacy of Star Wars, but that's another point entirely). They watched as your successes all became third-party while your failures were in-house. They watched as you distanced yourself from your fans as you became more of a nameless, faceless conglomerate. They watched as wonderful talent like Tim Schaefer and Ron Gilbert left. Somehow, all that was still OK, thanks only to the tremendous faith the company's reputation had built in the early days. With LucasArts, there was always hope.

Now that's finally gone. Gone completely. Not just gone, actually, but replaced by feelings of disgust, neglect, and anger. We're the jilted lover that stuck by his woman while everyone told us she slept around, only to have our loyalty repaid by finding out the truth was even worse - that she was an actual whore that sold her wares for cash while stringing us along. Yep, we've been played for a fool and been burned.

Don't mistake our kindness all along for weakness, though. You take away ALL a person's hope, and he has nothing left to lose. That's the point your fanbase is at now. The internet is friend or foe, and now you'll find it turned against you. The gaming press will be entirely unsympathetic, because they are US. And despite they're professionalism, they're just gamers at heart, and they're just as discouraged as anyone that LucasArts has bowed to the industry standard of prostitution. We may be the "older generation" of gamers, but we'll still be playing games for DECADES to come, and you've just lost us.

Your image will suffer, your reputation will suffer, and - though you'll be loath to believe it - your sales will suffer. I'm not suggesting a widespread boycott, though that will CERTAINLY happen on smaller scales. But no, it's just the inevitable result of becoming recognized as a has-been. Washed up, burnt-out, and useless. A nobody. That will be the NEW LucasArts for the younger generation of gamers. And once your name has lost any selling power, your sales will tank. (Actually, that's probably happening already, which you incorrectly attribute to other factors).

Ahhh, but now you'll want to smugly retort that your main properties are still enough to carry the day. You don't NEED LucasArts to be a name, because the names Star Wars and Indiana Jones still sell themselves. True... to a point. I hate to burst your bubble (OK, no I don't), but Star Wars is almost finished, and whatever Indiana Jones and the Search for his Dentures you have planned for the movies won't come close to capturing the lost magic of over 20 years ago.

By relying only on your two guaranteed IP's, you've become the victim of your own inbreeding, and the effects of that will continue to manifest themselves more obviously in the coming years. A navel-gazing, deluded, semi-retarded (excuse the lack of political correctness) inbred hooker whose clients have dwindled only to her closest acquaintances. Nasty!!

But here's the real kicker for many of us. Never mind the more abstract predictions of gloom, which will be argued by yes-men until there's nothing left of LucasArts except a three-toothed, trashy slut that can't GIVE herself away even to horny teenaged geeks. No, let's look at the here and now, which will once again appeal to the bean counters that don't see past this quarter's earnings.

Newsflash - Freelance Police would have MADE MONEY!!

......... Continued....
Old 03-04-2004, 12:09 PM   #2
Hopeful skeptic

While Sam and Max are too old for everyone to be familiar with them, they are NOT new, and have a large fanbase (much like Doom, n'est pas?). Since that fanbase is what currently drives the gaming press, you were guaranteed (and indeed already receiving it), advertising FAR beyond the efforts of your own marketing. Merely for an example, perhaps you think that being on PC Gamer's top 10 upcoming games list for 2004 is an indication of disinterest. No? Me either. I'd have thought FREE publicity would appeal to you, but maybe not. (Inbreeding dropping your collective IQ, perhaps).

Here's another thing that should get your accountants salivating (which is different than the marketing department, which drools from lack of motor control). Publishers today would sell their first born for a sellable franchise. You've GOT THAT in Sam and Max. It's a winning franchise staring you in the face. Woo hoo, what a concept!! Wait a minute... did I just say "Woo hoo?" Now where does that come from... hmm... let me think... oh, YEAH!!! From a smart, biting cartoon with fascinating characters in a well-produced, high-quality, tightly controlled series that's been running since BEFORE Sam and Max!! Huh!!! (PLEASE tell me you know I'm talking about the Simpsons...) Hands up those who realize that this is the very reason people enjoyed Sam and Max. Right. There IS a market for that, before some lamer with a pencil holder in his pocket announces that cartoons are childish. Cartoons DO sell, and Sam and Max is a marketable franchise for anyone whose imagination hasn't atrophied from years of neglect.

But what about the "dead" adventure genre, you protest? A valid point, but a chicken-and-egg question. Which comes first - quality adventure titles consistent with the standards of early LucasArts, or the market to buy them? The "market" is currently set by cookie-cutter, movie-of-the-week style adventures that have driven many gamers away. The only true measure of a QUALITY adventure even comparable to Sam and Max would be The Longest Journey, Syberia, and Broken Sword 3. Even then, none of those had the the collective benefits of a built-in fanbase, name recognition, free publicity, or even significant marketing, but each will earn their publishers money. Perhaps the one concession to the weaker genre market is more patience, as adventures traditionally have a much longer shelf life than other genres, so sales of Freelance Police would have to be calculated over years, rather than the front-end burst most action titles require. In movie terms (presumably something LucasArts is still familiar with), it's akin to a movie that has a healthy rental life, rather than merely the opening weekend sales numbers at the box office.

Is this all sour grapes from a disgruntled fan? No. I am a fan, but not a blindly devoted one. I didn't say a word about Full Throttle 2, because I don't want crap games released, and I don't expect companies to fund games that are shaping up to be crap. This is not the same situtation. Freelance Police is (apparently) nearly DONE, and you're turning your back on it out of cowardice. You've convinced yourselves it's a well-founded fear, but your reasons are not only overly simplistic, they're simply WRONG. And to make matters worse (for everyone), you're alienating the customers that made you (the games company) what they are, which will have a far more wide-reaching impact than you foolishly anticipate. You keep confusing public favor with your own achievement, and they are two drastically different things. You've been succeeding despite your incompetence, not because of your competence. This may very well be the one move that demonstrates that difference to you. And the coup de grace is that this announcement is the most blatant symbol that LucasArts is no longer a viable name in the industry. You've positioned yourself, in a time devoid of company leadership, to be nothing more than a recycler of dying properties. You won't survive that philosophy for long, because it's a downward spiral that picks up momentum. You do NOT want to reach the point where you can't attract the talent, publicity, or consumer interest no matter what you publish, but that's the inevitable course of your current direction.

So here's what I suggest... FINISH THE DAMN GAME!!

I couldn't help but notice that you left a back door open in your press release. I know first hand how these things work. Reversing the decision would be child's play down the road, since you pointed to external factors with no supporting evidence, and an inappropriate time can quickly become "appropriate". So working the press would be easy, and with the proper P.R., you might even come out ahead with the fans. It'd take some actual EFFORT, but you could be known as the company that actually listens and cares about its fans, which in today's marketplace is unheard of. Try for a moment to remember that it's the fans that dictate success or failure. For years they've been staunch advocates of LucasArts, but as of today, you've mobilized them as a dedicated (if not quite coordinated) negative influence. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're able to recognize the realities I'm pointing out to you. It isn't too late to unearth your heads (which are buried either in the sand or worse places, depending on who you ask), but it's contingent on one thing - that the game actually be FINISHED.

Get the friggin' thing done, or your cherished R.O.I. will be ALL red. Once it's done, you can release it whenever the hell you want. Align it with a strong Star Wars title so initial payoff isn't the all-consuming concern (as it probably is now, after your successive flops). Or wait a year. Who cares? As an adventure, it'll last. Runaway was several years old by the time it found an English-language publisher, and it probably did BETTER for the delay. But regardless of that last conjecture, it still sold well (which you no doubt know, having done your cough extensive market research cough), as evidenced by the sequel now in production (there's that "franchise" thing cropping up again).

But the game has to be finished. The decision you've made to stop where you are makes no sense. I've asked some of my inbred friends, and even THEY said they wouldn't do something that idiotic, so I'm not sure what you're thinking.

Time to wake up, LucasArts. Not to be overly dramatic, but it may very well be now or never for you. Papa George can rest on his laurels, but as a games company, you cannot. You were once a developer of vision and purpose and artistry and passion, but you're now on the threshold of corporate suicide, even if it takes a year or two longer to realize. It's up to you. Just thought I'd tell you which way I'D vote.

-------------------------

Whew!! That's a mouthful. But what the heck. If there's any chance to get this thing turned around, no point holding back.

If you haven't written yet yourself, please do.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:14 PM   #3
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Wow, very thorough. Good job.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:24 PM   #4
guybrush_guy

That Was Absolutley Beautiful, Perfect 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-04-2004, 12:42 PM   #5

Wow.... That was magnificent!
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 03-04-2004, 12:44 PM   #6
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Grassroots? You said grassroots. Funny you should mention that since that is the exact same word that has been in my mind for the past few days in context of this outrage. Why is it that we, as a community, feel like this when we are fucked up the ass by yet another institution?
Old 03-04-2004, 12:56 PM   #7

Yeah, very well done. Only one thing: When you talk about "DOTT", are you sure any of the people currently at LucasArts will have _any_ idea what you're talking about?

(hmm, I was going to put a smiley at the end, but then it occured to me that I'm probably right)
Old 03-04-2004, 01:01 PM   #8
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Good stuff, Singer. Very well-written. The only problem is that I get the feeling the longer a letter is, the less likely they are to read it...

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 03-04-2004, 01:05 PM   #9
Angry loner

...A Public Relations approach of "Tough shit, cracka" is never a wise idea...

...Indiana Jones and the Search for his Dentures...

You crack me up lil buddy!!
Old 03-04-2004, 01:18 PM   #10

That is well written and all, but you are delusional if you think they are going to read it past the first paragraph.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:25 PM   #11
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Good stuff, Singer. Very well-written. The only problem is that I get the feeling the longer a letter is, the less likely they are to read it...
Hmmm, I don't know. I, for one, would be interested in such a long message because he obviously put a lot of time into it. I don't know how these companies handle e-mail, though. They might as well only read the topic and throw it away. Maybe they'll even have that automated

--Erwin
Old 03-04-2004, 01:28 PM   #12
lemonhead11

Great letter. Hope they read all of these.

Old 03-04-2004, 01:31 PM   #13
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
Hmmm, I don't know. I, for one, would be interested in such a long message because he obviously put a lot of time into it. I don't know how these companies handle e-mail, though. They might as well only read the topic and throw it away. Maybe they'll even have that automated

--Erwin
I, for two, would do the same, but then again we aren't the ones cancelling dearly-loved adventure games, so who knows what those brutes would do?

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 03-04-2004, 01:38 PM   #14

I hope you don´t mind if I share my letter here, too? I guess we don´t need more threads for this.. Anyway, here goes:

---

Dear LucasArts,

I found out recently about the cancellation of the latest Sam&Max adventure game. I don´t know know if that was a good decision or not. I´m only confused about the reasons behind this decision.

I am aware that PC games are not as hot sellers as many PlayStation2 games. However I believe, and I´m not the only one with this opinion, that PC games are making a comeback. Console games always sell good at the beginning of their life, when they represent the latest technology. But sooner or later, PCs will always become the cutting edge game machine. Right now the consoles of this generation are becoming slow compared to PCs --especially PlayStation 2. Doom 3 and Half Life 2 are going to be published soon. PC is going to be the hottest game machine again, like it always has.

And adventure games --this is the best time for years to publish a game of this genre. Many other companies have published new adventure games, and they are satisfied enough with the sales to make sequels. Some of the best adventure game designers are working on new, promising titles. Moreover, more and more people have computers at home. More of those people are women, who have traditionally been very interested in adventure games. There are more female gamers than ever before. There are more mature gamers than ever, and adventure games appeal to adults. There are more and more people who are interested in games that are easy to get into, and don´t have much violence or hard controls. I have always had a lot of confidence that the adventure game genre could become a true "mass market" genre. Not for the typical young male audience, but the true mass markets. I have shown your old adventure games to several people who have had no previous experience in games, and they have *all*, without exceptions, became interested in your adventure games. I even gave my old copy of Monkey Island to my husband, and he played the first two games of the series with great enthusiasm, and now he is starting the third. He was previously interested only in 3D shooters. How can over a decade old adventure game still attract new gamers, if this genre is not viable?

I´m sure you know from your own experience that adventure games are steady sellers, and bring profit for years, even a decade after the initial release. I hope you are more interested in long-term profits, rather than quick and unpredictable cash flows. I have became worried that LucasArts is going the same way as Disney. The company that was previously know for quality, is now known for trying to pump cash from their best-known brands. By lacking vision, letting their best talents go, and making short-sighted decisions at the expense of quality, Disney has suffered great losses of profit. Their current management is unable to see that the Disney legacy was not built upon calculated products, rather than art created by talented people. They are unable to see that with every mediocre product they produce, they chip away some of their reputation that is the reason for their previous success.

Your quality games were the reason for your wonderful reputation. Every mediocre Star Wars game is eating your own reputation. I hope you are still able to remember that your success and reputation wasn´t built upon calculated, "risk-free" clones of succesful games. Please don´t make the same mistakes as Disney did.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:39 PM   #15
Under pressure.

By the way, these letters deserve more than just being e-mailed. Maybe you could print it on paper and send it to LucasArts the old-fashioned way. You'll be sure the letter will be processed. It's so easy to hit that 'delete' button, but real paper is harder to ignore.

LucasArts
P.O. Box 10307
San Rafael, CA 94912

--Erwin
Old 03-04-2004, 03:59 PM   #16
Hopeful skeptic

Yeah, I know it's long, but I was starting to have fun writing it. I do intend to send a print letter, although my printer's on the fritz at the moment, which is cacking up that plan.

As for whether anyone will read it, I was also kinda thinking they might be more inclined to read something longer... at least until they discovered it was mostly ramble.

I just hope more people write. Nice work on yours, Paula.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:32 PM   #17

awesome stuff guys..hopefully lucasarts wake up to the passion of those waiting for this game for 11 years..like me..
Old 03-04-2004, 08:24 PM   #18

I liked that letter Singer. Nice job, and I hope LA spends the time to read it.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:44 PM   #19
Bearly Here

That was a great letter - any publishers for the book version

Seriously - it was so much more emotionally balanced than mine. There have been a lot of moves into the industry that made me cranky - but for some reason this one was the straw that made me crack a bit.

Access selling to Microsoft. "Noooo they just want your links games and will bury Tex Murphy. They are the devil - run away while you still can!! "

Sierra's feeling out the market for GK4 and getting enough positive feedback to make them refuse to give up or license the rights - but not enough to actually make the game. ARRRRRR

Now this. My own little rant is below.

Quote:

Re: That sucking sound is your fan base leaving

Well,

Thanks, for the big build up and all the hype. Yep you finally managed to unite gaming fans from many genre's.

First with the excitement and thrill about one of the all time great gaming duos being brought back. Now with the universal smack down - you have given us.

As the gaming purchaser for this household, not only will I not buy any Lucas Arts games for any medium - I won't buy any for my sons and our three consoles either. Good thing Ubi-soft is around. They can have all the dollars instead sharing any your way. Since we spend on average of 150.00 a month on various games - this will free up some gaming dollars for the other games due out from other developers/publishers.

And I am glad I got Prince of Persia last night instead of Armed and Dangerous. Spared me having to take it back unopened.

I suppose the loss of one more fan won't bother you guys much - but there's a lot of consensus and shared hatred going around the web, from adventure to action only sites on this one. Who'd of thought you could unite us all like this. Way to go Lucas Arts!!

Since my usual command of the english language is failing due to my feelings of extreme anger - I found a site that really sums up my and other former Lucas Arts fans feelings on this matter. It really is such a succinct and articulate piece.

http://wwhs.fangames.co.uk/

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. The wallpaper is great on my desk top too. Just in case I start to forget how little you really care about your fan base and quality gaming.
Who knows if they will actually read any of them. Probably go into a box labeled - lunatic fringe" But it felt good to stuff it in an envelope and send it on it's way.

Last edited by LauraMac; 03-04-2004 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:54 PM   #20

Nice letter, Laura.