View Single Post
Old 03-04-2004, 12:09 PM   #2
Jackal
Hopeful skeptic

While Sam and Max are too old for everyone to be familiar with them, they are NOT new, and have a large fanbase (much like Doom, n'est pas?). Since that fanbase is what currently drives the gaming press, you were guaranteed (and indeed already receiving it), advertising FAR beyond the efforts of your own marketing. Merely for an example, perhaps you think that being on PC Gamer's top 10 upcoming games list for 2004 is an indication of disinterest. No? Me either. I'd have thought FREE publicity would appeal to you, but maybe not. (Inbreeding dropping your collective IQ, perhaps).

Here's another thing that should get your accountants salivating (which is different than the marketing department, which drools from lack of motor control). Publishers today would sell their first born for a sellable franchise. You've GOT THAT in Sam and Max. It's a winning franchise staring you in the face. Woo hoo, what a concept!! Wait a minute... did I just say "Woo hoo?" Now where does that come from... hmm... let me think... oh, YEAH!!! From a smart, biting cartoon with fascinating characters in a well-produced, high-quality, tightly controlled series that's been running since BEFORE Sam and Max!! Huh!!! (PLEASE tell me you know I'm talking about the Simpsons...) Hands up those who realize that this is the very reason people enjoyed Sam and Max. Right. There IS a market for that, before some lamer with a pencil holder in his pocket announces that cartoons are childish. Cartoons DO sell, and Sam and Max is a marketable franchise for anyone whose imagination hasn't atrophied from years of neglect.

But what about the "dead" adventure genre, you protest? A valid point, but a chicken-and-egg question. Which comes first - quality adventure titles consistent with the standards of early LucasArts, or the market to buy them? The "market" is currently set by cookie-cutter, movie-of-the-week style adventures that have driven many gamers away. The only true measure of a QUALITY adventure even comparable to Sam and Max would be The Longest Journey, Syberia, and Broken Sword 3. Even then, none of those had the the collective benefits of a built-in fanbase, name recognition, free publicity, or even significant marketing, but each will earn their publishers money. Perhaps the one concession to the weaker genre market is more patience, as adventures traditionally have a much longer shelf life than other genres, so sales of Freelance Police would have to be calculated over years, rather than the front-end burst most action titles require. In movie terms (presumably something LucasArts is still familiar with), it's akin to a movie that has a healthy rental life, rather than merely the opening weekend sales numbers at the box office.

Is this all sour grapes from a disgruntled fan? No. I am a fan, but not a blindly devoted one. I didn't say a word about Full Throttle 2, because I don't want crap games released, and I don't expect companies to fund games that are shaping up to be crap. This is not the same situtation. Freelance Police is (apparently) nearly DONE, and you're turning your back on it out of cowardice. You've convinced yourselves it's a well-founded fear, but your reasons are not only overly simplistic, they're simply WRONG. And to make matters worse (for everyone), you're alienating the customers that made you (the games company) what they are, which will have a far more wide-reaching impact than you foolishly anticipate. You keep confusing public favor with your own achievement, and they are two drastically different things. You've been succeeding despite your incompetence, not because of your competence. This may very well be the one move that demonstrates that difference to you. And the coup de grace is that this announcement is the most blatant symbol that LucasArts is no longer a viable name in the industry. You've positioned yourself, in a time devoid of company leadership, to be nothing more than a recycler of dying properties. You won't survive that philosophy for long, because it's a downward spiral that picks up momentum. You do NOT want to reach the point where you can't attract the talent, publicity, or consumer interest no matter what you publish, but that's the inevitable course of your current direction.

So here's what I suggest... FINISH THE DAMN GAME!!

I couldn't help but notice that you left a back door open in your press release. I know first hand how these things work. Reversing the decision would be child's play down the road, since you pointed to external factors with no supporting evidence, and an inappropriate time can quickly become "appropriate". So working the press would be easy, and with the proper P.R., you might even come out ahead with the fans. It'd take some actual EFFORT, but you could be known as the company that actually listens and cares about its fans, which in today's marketplace is unheard of. Try for a moment to remember that it's the fans that dictate success or failure. For years they've been staunch advocates of LucasArts, but as of today, you've mobilized them as a dedicated (if not quite coordinated) negative influence. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're able to recognize the realities I'm pointing out to you. It isn't too late to unearth your heads (which are buried either in the sand or worse places, depending on who you ask), but it's contingent on one thing - that the game actually be FINISHED.

Get the friggin' thing done, or your cherished R.O.I. will be ALL red. Once it's done, you can release it whenever the hell you want. Align it with a strong Star Wars title so initial payoff isn't the all-consuming concern (as it probably is now, after your successive flops). Or wait a year. Who cares? As an adventure, it'll last. Runaway was several years old by the time it found an English-language publisher, and it probably did BETTER for the delay. But regardless of that last conjecture, it still sold well (which you no doubt know, having done your cough extensive market research cough), as evidenced by the sequel now in production (there's that "franchise" thing cropping up again).

But the game has to be finished. The decision you've made to stop where you are makes no sense. I've asked some of my inbred friends, and even THEY said they wouldn't do something that idiotic, so I'm not sure what you're thinking.

Time to wake up, LucasArts. Not to be overly dramatic, but it may very well be now or never for you. Papa George can rest on his laurels, but as a games company, you cannot. You were once a developer of vision and purpose and artistry and passion, but you're now on the threshold of corporate suicide, even if it takes a year or two longer to realize. It's up to you. Just thought I'd tell you which way I'D vote.

-------------------------

Whew!! That's a mouthful. But what the heck. If there's any chance to get this thing turned around, no point holding back.

If you haven't written yet yourself, please do.