You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Syberia 1 vs Syberia 2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2008, 04:50 AM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon
Default Syberia 1 vs Syberia 2

I've been replaying both the Syberia games recently and was wondering among those people who liked Syberia, which game they preferred.

For me, I think Syberia had more atmosphere, whether it was the sadness of Validelene, or the gloominess of Komkolzgrads factory. There were more characters, and while some people might have found the phone calls from home irritating, it was interesting to see Kates attitude.

Syberia 2 was still decent, but in my mind there seemed to be less soul to the game. No longer were you getting frantic calls from Morson, or that pillock of a boyfriend. The locations weren't even as interesting, and trudging round the Youkl village got boring. Also, why did the interior decor of the train suddenly change?? One things for sure, I'd like Kate's phone, even deep in Siberia it gets a signal.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:05 AM   #2
Lazy Bee

I see the Syberia games as one story. It's been a while since I played them and I can't say which of the games was the best. They work as one for me.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:17 AM   #3

The thing that bugged me a bit was the ending to Syberia 2. What happens to Kate now, is she stranded there, does she go back to the Youkl village, does she return to civilisation? She doesn't appear to have the means to do so, but it's left open ended.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:24 AM   #4

I'd say, putting the two games together, that I liked the beginning of Syberia 1 and the end of Syberia 2, and was mostly bored by everything in between. Some of the events were interesting, but the puzzles were a little too mechanical, the locations too sterile, the interactivity too rare, and Oscar too annoying.

At first, I found it amusing that Kate would get a phone call right after she accomplished something, like a progress indicator. After awhile, it was a little too obvious a manipulation of an already dubious plot. Like Oscar, like everything else, it seemed artificial.

But through it all, when the ending came, it moved me. After all Kate (and I) had just been through, it left me with a feeling of accomplishment. Even though I found plenty of flaws with the Syberia series as a whole, I'm glad that I played it to the end.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:17 AM   #5

I like Syberia 1 far better. Syberia 2 is enjoyable enough, but I think I've only replayed it once, whereas with Syberia I've replayed many times. Syberia 2 seemed a lot tougher to me.
Spoiler:
Losing Oscar was too sad as well.

Last edited by Melanie68; 07-04-2008 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Added spoiler tags (just in case)
Old 07-04-2008, 10:41 AM   #6

This is a question I love to ponder. Syberia 1 doesn’t take a back seat (in my mind) to any of the few truly excellent adventure games out there that I’ve played. I loved the entire game. Its ending was one that I’ve enjoyed the most … it was open-ended yet completely satisfying, mystical, hopeful …

Syberia 2 was also great but perhaps a little less excellent and more purposefully driven. It’s almost as if the first blush of enthusiasm in making the original was lost in the process of driving the game to its predetermined conclusion. The end of Syberia 2 was beautifully crafted, artistically and musically. Otto’s final function was a cleverly devised study in mechanics.

As for Kate, I did not fear she had no way out because she proved herself capable time and time again. My only thought is that Kate might have appreciated a greater sense of gratitude from Hans and a few seconds of clarity that all options were on the table for her. Kate Walker 3 could satisfy that need. But I don’t think it’s being considered.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 07-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
I see the Syberia games as one story. It's been a while since I played them and I can't say which of the games was the best. They work as one for me.
Hey, you stole my reply!
Old 07-05-2008, 06:48 AM   #8

I think part of it in Syberia 2 was that in the first game you had these places like Validelene and Barrockstadt with a rather sad atmosphere of times gone by.

The music was perhaps a bit more atmospheric and there were more characters to intereact with.

A few questions though. Validelene was apparently in the French alps, yet the names there seemed more Germanic, like Hans. If it had been near the coast I would have said that perhaps it was in the Alsace-Lorraine area which has changed hands.

Where was Barrockstadt? Germany, Rumania?

And lastly, anyone know of any decent Syberia wallpapers of the gadgets, preferably the airship.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:44 AM   #9
The Quiet One

Out of both the Syberia games i'd also say i enjoyed the first one. The second one was alright but... meh.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 07-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #10

Another question, was there different voice acting in Syberia 2? Hans sounded different, though granted you didn't get much of a chance to get used to him in Syberia 1. I'm pretty sure that Kate was different though.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:22 PM   #11

I'm pretty sure the voices were the same in 1 and 2. It was a wise choice for consistencies sake. Kate sounded a little firmer, though, in the second ... more determined. I guess she evolved.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 07-06-2008, 10:37 PM   #12
Your average crooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadefalcon View Post
The thing that bugged me a bit was the ending to Syberia 2. What happens to Kate now, is she stranded there, does she go back to the Youkl village, does she return to civilisation? She doesn't appear to have the means to do so, but it's left open ended.
Spoiler:
Why? The star of the second game is Hans, and how Kate Walker accepts her role as Caronte and carries him to the ultimate death in his very own paradise. Or maybe she's dead too. Syberia 2: one of the most alegoric games ever.

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 07-07-2008 at 02:35 AM. Reason: white text is not the way
Old 07-07-2008, 04:36 AM   #13

I prefer part 2...
Old 07-07-2008, 05:26 AM   #14

Syberia 1 was for me the journey, the path. The whole game consisted in searching the way, achieving the goal. There is hope in Kate to find new sense in life and optimism, happines because of braking free ot the demanding boss and boyfriend.

The second part, its after climax already - it is unevitavle that it lacks the emotions and tension of the first one. It turns out what was important was treading the path not finding the goal - Youkol village. The village itself dissapoints and the feeling of closure and unevitable ending is depressing...After Kate fulfilled the mission she has nothing....
Old 07-07-2008, 06:05 AM   #15
Cutest creepy thing

I played Syberia 2 first. For that very reason I feel more attached to 2nd game. When I played them in correct order I got tired when I was half through S2. Still, I really enjoyed those calls from Kate's boss, boyfriend and her mother. It reminded me that Kate had a real life before getting involved, would've been very strange and bizarre if there hadn't been any link to her past. In that was S2 reminds me of The Longest Journey where April doesn't just talk to other characters but they actually have conversations.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:42 AM   #16

I love both parts. Of course 1st part was more of the mystery as the player was just discovering what is behind the whole thing. So there was not even a tangible goal defined at the beginning. And of course all these ideas with mechanisms etc. were amazing. 2nd part has more of "cross-country" adventure and has different "climate" than the 1st one, but I think it's great also. As one of you wrote - getting closer to inevitable end could spoil the fun a bit - but this was just because the fun was so big
Old 07-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #17
Occasionally around...

Send a message via Yahoo to MystGirl

I'm a huge fan of the Syberia games and loved both. My only problem with Syberia 2, is it was far too short compared to Syberia 1. And I was glad that Kate found out about her loser boyfriend. One of the best story lines I've seen for a game so far.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:22 PM   #18
Dark fall fan

Send a message via MSN to Big Al

I love first Syberia it is my favorite game.
Barokstadt shudl be in Germany,but I doubt it exists So its French Alpes,Germany,Russia-trip to Aralsk in Kazahstan and Syberia and the Island of Syberia (idk which lol).Second Syberia compared to the 1st lacks such good music,the 2 bad characters igor Ivan and Patriarch made the game look for the kids.The snow is always there so there isn't diversity in the locations like in the 1st.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:05 PM   #19

I also liked the first one better. I find it more mysterious and depressing (in a good way.)
Old 07-16-2008, 07:29 AM   #20
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
(idk which lol)
?