You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
merely human

Default Still Life 2

I was one of the many who felt cheated by the weakly conceived, rudely abrupt, and irresolute ending of Still Life. I finished the game late last night (after not touching it for about 3 years, during which I found better games to play) initially with the thought of letting this feeling go because I thought there was no sequel coming (with Microids having shut down immediately after the game's release back then).

Then I saw the announcement of the sequel. So I thought, This should be a chance for Microids to stop crapping themselves and us and just write an even better story this time. That is, a story that is self-contained and rewards our hard work on the gameplay, not by robbing us of the knowledge of who the murderer was, but by revealing to us who it is and yet perhaps leaving other less important but still pertinent cliffhangers. We played through Still Life with the main intent of finding the identity of the killer, that was the most important thing. The story in this regard failed miserably because it took that reward away from us and we so doggedly worked hard for it.

Regardless, I enjoyed Still Life mostly for its story and writing. I look forward to seeing Microids do a better job with Still Life 2. What are your thoughts on this series?

(If you include spoilers in your post make sure to use the spoiler tag, that bold ? next to the frying pan above the posting field.)
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #2

first and most important of all, its good to see sequels of high praised and respected adventure games, such as black mirror, runaway, secret files or still life, because it is good for adventure genre, along with many new interesting titles that are coming this year.

my play experience of still life can be easily compared with experience that i had while watching the movie zodiac. i already knew in both cases that you dont get to learn the killer identity for sure, so i was already prepared for that scenario and i think because of that i enjoyed more then i would in case i didnt know that.

i dont think still life is a perfect game nevertheless of its ending, but if u ask me i am really happy to see sequel coming and i will play it right away.

when its down to murder detective mistery it is really satisfying to come up with a traditional ending in sherlock holmes or poirot style, so they got many bad critics because of their end because player expect some reward on conclusion. but on the other hand, now they have more solutions to upgrade the story, and even the excitement is bigger just because of story speculations. i dont know what was the case with still life, but could be

- they planned the end as it was without knowledge of a possible sequel - well, ok, it is designers choice. maybe they know who the killer is, maybe they dont, but they wanted the game that way. if thats so, they shouldnt come up with something quick just because of the critics.

- they planned sequel - maybe they really wanted to give some solutions in later games in episodic manner, although for some reason the sequel is coming after 3 years. but if u ask me, i would do now without good end explanations in the stories of monkey island 1-4 and gabriel knight 1-3 just to see monkey 5 or gk4.

in both cases, as i already said, the only important thing is that the sequels is coming
Old 04-19-2008, 08:41 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
i dont know what was the case with still life, but could be [snip]
Basically, the game was designed to have a whole second part in LA, where you would then have discovered the killer's identity.

However, MC2 had financial problems and ultimately sold Microids Canada (development team of Still Life) to Ubisoft, so they then had to cut the game short as best they could to get the game out at all, thus leaving us with the Still Life we have now. Without the relaunch of the Microids brand last November, Still Life 2 would probably not be in development now. How Still Life 2 will address the previous game is still unknown.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:12 PM   #4
Homer of Kittens

That's why I always think that a video game, TV show or movie should always finish the main plot in the same game/show/movie. It is ok to introduce a new hanging fruit at the very end that will make people more interested in buying a sequel, but this addition should not be the answer to the main plot, but rather an introduction to the sequel. Back to the Future is a great example of that.

Firefox rules
Old 04-20-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
merely human

I agree, Soccsie. I believe that where Still Life failed was the choice of what elements in the story to make into the cliffhanger. The main, central, focus, etc. intent - of the writer and of us, the players - is to reveal/discover the identity of the murderer. We worked through the entire game, solved all the puzzles, exhausted all possible dialogue options, to reach that point. Then the game is on the cusp of giving us the moment of truth.....but at the last second denies us that truth. So you could say that emotionally as a game it cheated us.

It may have been more successfully done if Still Life were a novel. You don't have to work your way solving puzzles and pointing & clicking around to get to the ending. Even classics like Agatha Christie's books and Sherlock Holmes stories put you in the passenger seat, not the driver's seat. But Still Life is not a novel, it's a game and we do much of the work so in the end the whole experience owes us that final revelation for our sweat. In this case it ripped us off by denying it.

That's why I feel it would have worked if, as we agreed, Soccsie, the story revealed who the killer was (that was our central goal as players to find out) BUT also raised new questions surrounding the killer, and those questions could become the new mystery in the sequel. Like for example, so-and-so is the killer but what was their relationship to the history of the entire thing leading up to the present day? Is there a connection to certain elements in the various crimes other than the obvious ones, etc.?

In other words, a self-contained story, but one that leaves questions that can whet our appetite for the next story of the sequel.

But we can leave that up to Still Life 2 to hopefully be more tidily summed up as a murder mystery.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #6
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
That's why I always think that a video game, TV show or movie should always finish the main plot in the same game/show/movie.
Think the video game is out of the question unless the current owners of the Still Life franchise decide it's a good thing to invest money in the game.

TV show? Movie? Unlikely. The game didn't sell that well. It's hard to justify spending $multi-millions to develop a movie or TV show for a fan base that that bought less than a million copies of the game.

Think you only have to go back to the Lara Croft games to see where this goes. Fair game. Bad movie despite seeing AJ in a skin-tight suit. Bad reviews. Bad box office.

Seriously doubt it will happen, but then I may have mis-interpreted your comment.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
kiss me Lewton

Send a message via MSN to carlotta von uberwald

I was thrilled when I saw there would be a sequel to Still Life. But the cookie puzzle had me tearing strips of hair out!!!! and I second that with the lock/pick puzzle. I think if they leave a story unended there should be a sequel I hate things unfinished. Bring on Grim Fandango 2, Dreamfall 2 & Syberia 3.

The sacred lace of Hyperopia the goddess of shoes, the holy trolley of Mr. Safeway, the blessed chamber pot of the whinging martyrs of constipata. Anything could become a sacred relic if you weren't careful enough.

I never misenthropated anything!

Malaclypse is a nut!!!

Keep The Adventure Alive!
Old 04-22-2008, 02:04 AM   #8
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlotta von uberwald View Post
I was thrilled when I saw there would be a sequel to Still Life. But the cookie puzzle had me tearing strips of hair out!!!! and I second that with the lock/pick puzzle.
It only took me 5 minutes to complete. I wrote down the recipe, then compared them to the ingredients. Each ingredient has a symbolic meaning, which in turn, is childs play. NOW the lock pick puzzle on the other hand was ANNOYING!
Old 04-22-2008, 04:25 AM   #9

I want to see some sceenshots soon! :-)
Old 04-22-2008, 04:35 AM   #10
Freeware Co-ordinator

I think SoccerDude was saying that all of the things mentioned (films, TV series and games) should finish up their stories properly, not that Still Life should be made into a film or TV series.

Probably best if they didn't. Tomb Raider isn't the only example of abject failure in that department.

Hopefully Still Life 2 won't make the same mistake with whatever new plot they come up with.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 04-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #11
merely human

Quote:
...the cookie puzzle had me tearing strips of hair out!!!! and I second that with the lock/pick puzzle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
It only took me 5 minutes to complete. I wrote down the recipe, then compared them to the ingredients. Each ingredient has a symbolic meaning, which in turn, is childs play. NOW the lock pick puzzle on the other hand was ANNOYING!
The moment I came across the cookie puzzle I said "F*** this sh**!" and immediately used a walkthrough. This is because I think it's one of the most insultingly stupid ideas for a puzzle. Why should I be forced to suddenly figure out how to bake cookies in the middle of a very serious FBI investigation of a serial killer? I don't remember Clarice Starling or Will Graham baking cookies. I refused this puzzle based on thematic conceptual stupidity. LOL!

As for the lockpicking puzzle, wow! It took me just over an hour but my patience and sheer observation paid off. I almost want to boot up the game to do it again.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buko View Post
I want to see some sceenshots soon! :-)
It will be great to see some of them!!! I really enjoyed this game, and I look forward to Still Life 2!
Old 04-27-2008, 03:36 PM   #13
handsome

Quote:
I was thrilled when I saw there would be a sequel to Still Life. But the cookie puzzle had me tearing strips of hair out!!!! and I second that with the lock/pick puzzle.!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
Co-sign. Finally Im not the only one who thinks that.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:54 PM   #14
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixsept View Post
It will be great to see some of them!!! I really enjoyed this game, and I look forward to Still Life 2!
*phew* I was starting to feel out of place here.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:42 AM   #15

Quote:
It only took me 5 minutes to complete. I wrote down the recipe, then compared them to the ingredients. Each ingredient has a symbolic meaning, which in turn, is childs play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
Co-sign. Finally Im not the only one who thinks that.
For me, it wasn't that it was hard, but I skipped through it simply because I didn't have the energy to spend time figuring it out. The fact that the puzzle was there for no reason other than filler was annoying enough.

To the programmers of SL2, if anything, please Christ almighty have the puzzles be relevant to the plot!?
Old 05-04-2008, 12:04 PM   #16

In so many ways a great adventure game. The puzzles were good overall ... fair and interesting, I thought, with some challenges. BUT … that lock pick puzzle had to be the worst!! If I hadn't cheated on that one, I'd still be trying to get through the game.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 05-24-2008, 01:45 AM   #17
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

One more game that I do own, but I've never played.

Well, I did play the demo back in the day when that was released and based on the demo I bought the game.

Not that much gaming happening these days anymore...
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:07 AM   #18
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
The moment I came across the cookie puzzle I said "F*** this sh**!" and immediately used a walkthrough. This is because I think it's one of the most insultingly stupid ideas for a puzzle. Why should I be forced to suddenly figure out how to bake cookies in the middle of a very serious FBI investigation of a serial killer? I don't remember Clarice Starling or Will Graham baking cookies. I refused this puzzle based on thematic conceptual stupidity. LOL!
Heh, isn't the protagonist a woman? That's why I specifically avoid games in which they specifically say it is...

Codeguru
Old 05-24-2008, 11:56 PM   #19
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeguru View Post
Heh, isn't the protagonist a woman? That's why I specifically avoid games in which they specifically say it is...

Codeguru
I hope that was meant to be a joke. If not then may I remind you that one of the rules of the forum is to show respect for other members, many of whom are female.

I would also say that, in my opinion, that's ridiculous anyway. I haven't played Still Life specifically but I've played many other games with both male and female protagonists and the good/annoying mix is about even.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 05-25-2008, 08:50 AM   #20
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeguru View Post
Cooking is not strictly the domain of women. Presuming that a game is going to be poor because it has a female protagonist, and thus will probably have puzzles with themes that you regard as being feminine (i.e. stupid) is not a very good basis for judging a game.

That being said, I found that puzzle a little goofy myself. It wasn't insurmountable, however. Just tricky, and not as linear or as purely logical sounding as some AGers have come to expect their puzzles. There was some lyrical interpretation involved there, which required a certain degree of skill at decoding the English language. I rather liked that. I thought it was a brave idea, even if I thought the puzzle itself was a little meh. I was much more irritated with the keyhole puzzle, and that one was about as logic-based as they come.