You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Xbox 360 Adventure Games?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2008, 10:16 AM   #1

Default Xbox 360 Adventure Games?

Hi,

I'm new here, so first off hello Adventure Gamers!

Secondly, can anyone direct me to any upcoming or previously released games on the Xbox 360 that are strictly adventure. The closest thing I have found was Lost Via Domis, and I beat it in a period of 8 hours so it was very short, the story was not in depth enough and the puzzles were far too easy.

A game I purchased recently and I am really enjoying it is DreamFall, The Longest Journey. I picked it up for the Xbox, because it was compatible with my 360.

So if anyone knows any upcoming or previously released title on the 360 that are more adventure, puzzles, and great story please direct me there!
Old 04-10-2008, 10:25 AM   #2

Default hmm

only Lost: Via Domus and CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: Hard Evidence come to mind for the 360. The wii has a better line up when it comes to AGs, with the following lineup: Agatha Christie: And Then There Were None, Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure, Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law, and a few upcoming others. The ds has more though and good ones too. But of course nothing beats the good ol' pc when it comes to this genre.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:46 PM   #3

That's about it though you might to check out other related genres. Try Psychonauts (a platformer though its by Tim Schafer of Lucasarts fame) and Fable for the original Xbox. You might also like Overlord, Fable 2 (once it comes out), Mass Effect and Two Worlds. All RPGs but similar enough to adventure games that it is a safe bet.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:15 PM   #4

The Xbox Originals section on the Marketplace has Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy. This game was originally released on the first Xbox. (But is compatible for the 360) It's an adventure, but there's most definately some actiony stuff, so you might want to check out some reviews to see if you'd like it.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:51 AM   #5
Cognitive Dissonant

Still Life from Microids is a good Adventure game for the Xbox (and 360), as well as Syberia and Syberia II. Also Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon - among others.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:49 AM   #6

Dang...

Is Adventure Games coming to an end on the next gen consoles? There has go to be some being developed tho, right?

I remember a ton of them on Playstation, and even some on the original Xbox - but everything is shooters on the next gen systems - we need something new
Old 04-11-2008, 10:04 AM   #7
The Quiet One

I read in another thread somewhere that an adventure game was being done for the 360. Does anyone know what it is?
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 04-12-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
Adventure Gamer for Life

I just recently got an Xbox 360 and I'm trying to figure out how to play some of my old adventures from Xbox on it. Still Life and Syberia are the two I can't get working. Does anyone know how to get it to run?

Also, I would recommend Knights of the Old Republic from original Xbox. It's the whole reason I got a 360. Wonderful RPG with a lot of adventure elements.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Right now it doesn't look like they're on the backwards compatibility list. Syberia 2 is, but that doesn't mean the other two won't be in the future (just keep checking I guess).

I don't know what you need to do though if they do get on that list.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:36 PM   #10
The Quiet One

Here

All the instructions you need are there. Scroll down a bit and click on the green link where it says: 'Download the Original Xbox Game Support update here', unzip it with WinZip and copy/burn the file to a CD-R and insert it into your 360 as you would a game. The console will recognize it and just follow the on-screen prompts to install the update.

Make sure the file is called default.xex and that nothing else is on the CD.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 04-12-2008, 09:04 PM   #11
merely human

Theseis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjustinj View Post
I'm new here, so first off hello Adventure Gamers!

...Secondly, can anyone direct me to any upcoming or previously released games on the Xbox 360 that are strictly adventure.
Welcome to the community, gjustinj.

The one adventure title I thought of as per your query is Theseis (link will take you to AG's preview), slated for release later this year unless it gets delayed. Hopefully it turns out reasonably well, the last gameplay video I watched of it wasn't very thrilling though it did show the visual strengths of the graphics engine. Here's a trailer showing a 3 minute part of the intro to the story and game (I personally found it boring and clinical, these guys seriously need to study film history and take notes on building character and drama and suspense).

Alone In The Dark: Near Death Investigation

There's also the upcoming Alone In The Dark: Near Death Investigation. This trailer will show you in part how the game works. It's pretty much an action/adventure but it looks to be true to the original game that gave birth to the survival horror genre.

Other than that I don't see much on the X360 in terms of bona fide adventure games (that is, the typically accepted notion of adventure games as non-action, non-violent, and puzzle-centric challenges). However, if you're rather adventurous yourself you'll find rich chunks of adventuring in other titles for this console (they've already been mentioned by others above). Some of the best of the lot:

Oblivion - pure exploration, main storyline, excellent expansion pack (Shivering Isles).
Bioshock - substantial storyline (trumps many typical adventure game stories), characterization, exploration.
Mass Effect - one of the very best and finest storylines (with an innovative dialog system), characters to make you shed a tear and fall in love with, some fairly easy puzzle work (optional), an ultimate action/RPG version of a classic epic sized adventure game.
The Orange Box - Half-Life 2, HL2: Ep. 1, HL2: Ep. 2, and Portal. You MUST, MUST, MUST experience Portal. It IS an adventure game that blows away the conservative notions of what an adventure game is supposed to be, thus it's quite refreshing.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-16-2008, 10:02 PM   #12

I love adventure games but I find that things like Assassins Creed, and the Tomb Raider games do well to met that adventure side as well as action side of me. But I have to say I find it pointless to get a 360 if all you want to play is adventure games, you are going to be disappointed there. I keep that to my computer. But it did open me up to new types of games like Bioshock.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:00 PM   #13
Seth Balmore

To play Original Xbox Games on the Xbox 360, the easiest and fastest way would definitely be through Xbox Live. Which of course can be done either through your Free Xbox Live Silver Account, or your Gold account.

Then it is easy: Just put in one of the Original Xbox Games, and if it is on the Backward Compatibility List, (as already posted by Melanie68) it will automatically recognize it and the necessary components get downloaded within a few seconds.

There are also two more options: By burning a DVD or CD or ordering the disc by mail. The link Alucard posted explains everything quite nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threerings View Post
Also, I would recommend Knights of the Old Republic from original Xbox. It's the whole reason I got a 360. Wonderful RPG with a lot of adventure elements.
Yes, Knights of the Old Republic is awesome, you can skip KotOR 2 though. You should definitely experience Jade Empire as well, if you haven't already.
Personally, I got an Xbox 360 for Blue Dragon and particularly Lost Odyssey. xD

Last edited by Avasi; 04-18-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:01 AM   #14
Adventure Gamer for Life

Thanks for all the links.

Unfortunately, Still Life is not on the backwards compatibility list. I guess there's not any way around that?

I'll have to replay it on PC, I guess.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:44 AM   #15

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback - I will most certainly check out Theseis and Alone in the Dark when they are available, also I found yet another one coming out in September (Silent Hill V) that will be coming out for Xbox 360. I really hope they bring the next Dreamfall Chapters to the Xbox 360!

On another note, damn I just purchased Still Life & Indigo Prophecy on ebay - I guess it's not backwards compatible with the Xbox 360 judging by some posters, unless there is a work around?

Last edited by gjustinj; 05-05-2008 at 09:46 AM. Reason: addition
Old 05-05-2008, 10:11 AM   #16

Ohh found another one! http://www.alanwake.com/
Old 05-05-2008, 09:31 PM   #17

Pity you bought 'Indigo Prophecy' on eBay gjustinj, as I believe it is up for download off of the online store (well, it is in Australia anyway).

So it's possible that it might be backwards compatible if it's in their store but I could be wrong.

I also have 'Still Life' which isn't compatible for the time-being. Not sure whether I should buy a second-hand XBox or just wait.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:08 PM   #18

Indigo Prophecy is definitely 360 compatible. You can check the list of compatible games here.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:00 AM   #19

I just picked up Syberia II and Jade Empire at the video store last night, both are backwards compatible - anyone play any of these?
Old 05-06-2008, 04:11 AM   #20
Has a jaw of sweet teeth

Wasn't Penny Arcade Adventures going to be some sort of xbox downloadable?
In that case, I think the first epsode of that, will be out quite soon.