You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Amber: Journeys Beyond

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2008, 09:23 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83
Default Amber: Journeys Beyond

I'm finally playing Amber and I find it beautiful!

The only problem is that, sometimes, especially when reading documents, the Virtual PC has problem reading the CD, so I've to take it off, reinsert, press ESC on an error message and then I can play it just fine

Only a question: I haven't found an option for subtitles, so I'm guessing that... there isn't one. I understand perfectly the written texts and quite good the spoken English, but how much spoken dialogue there is in the game? 'cause I don't wanna miss anything
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 03-15-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
Codger

I'll bite. Loved the game. How didyou get it to play on an XP machine? I've been told it couldn't be done.

And there are no subtitles
Old 03-16-2008, 02:05 AM   #3
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney View Post
I'll bite. Loved the game. How didyou get it to play on an XP machine? I've been told it couldn't be done.
The answer is to be found in his post. Don't you know what Virtual PC is?? It's not like it hasn't been discussed before on these forums...
Old 03-16-2008, 03:44 AM   #4
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
The answer is to be found in his post. Don't you know what Virtual PC is?? It's not like it hasn't been discussed before on these forums...
Used VPC myself, was happy until the next time I started it up, the graphics were messing up and the sound was becoming crippled. THere are a lot of compatibility problems. Thus, its best just to use Dosbox with the D-Fend 2 frontend.

But since I hated VPC, I didnt use even Dosbox to play it. All I did was install VDM sound and ran the game. perfect like the bright blue sky.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:48 AM   #5

I tried to use VDM but it didn't work, so I have to use Virtual PC.

By the way, I'm halfway through the game and I love it
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:37 AM   #6
Senior *female* member

You can play Amber in DOSbox? I thought it was a Win95 game.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:04 AM   #7

Hey AndreaD - I also played the game on VPC recently and enjoyed it very much. There isn't a lot of dialogue at all (which is actually too bad...) and most of it is fairly understandable ('cept for the talking bees... ).

All 'n all it's a wonderful game - its only down side on my view is being too short...

Last edited by The Mutajon; 03-17-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:26 AM   #8

I put a big spoiler to tell you where I'm in the game.

Spoiler:
I just finished the quest for releasing Maggie by make her understanding that her husband is dead. I found it very touching and moving, so I'm willing to forgive some camp in the FMV. I loved the time puzzle but I admit I used a walkthrough for the telegram puzzle (I hate those kind of "games")

At the moment, I think that Amber: Journeys Beyond is one of the most deep game I've ever played: you totally sunk into it, and it grows stronger at any new finding. Foremost, it's really moving, at least to me.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:01 AM   #9

Yup, couldn't agree more - strong atmosphere (that sucks you right in) and touching stories are probably the best features in the game (as its graphics is good but nothing too fancy and its puzzles are mostly too easy...).

As for your progress:
Spoiler:
I also thought the time puzzle was pretty neat. (Unlike you I did enjoy solving the telegram puzzle). Like I said, I agree that the story is very moving (and sad, though there is a happy ending where Maggie unites with her husband in the afterlife). Let us (me) know what you think about the ending and the entire game when you'll finish it...
Old 03-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #10

I certainly will

Old 03-17-2008, 04:45 PM   #11
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
And my answer is that Amber was deemed unplayable on any post-Win95 machine regardless of emulation software. Aparently something has changed.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:51 PM   #12
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney View Post
And my answer is that Amber was deemed unplayable on any post-Win95 machine regardless of emulation software.
Deemed unplayable by whom?
Check out AG's technical problems forum.
Check out Steve's XP Games Corner at Quandary.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:31 PM   #13
Codger

By the gurus on this forum. If you look at past Amber threads I think you will find that was the general perception.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:37 PM   #14
Super Moderator

'Was' being the key word.

Now let's drop this particular subject, shall we?
Old 03-18-2008, 07:42 PM   #15

Maybe it works better under VirtualBox, who knows.
It's the Quicktime dependency that makes it impossible to run on modern operating systems.

I should also try that out soon. Got the pretty rare german version some time ago.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
It's the Quicktime dependency that makes it impossible to run on modern operating systems.
Uhh, what do you base this on? I don't think you're right. I've played other games that use Quick Time 2.5 in XP. The problem with games like Amber and XP instead lies in the particular version of Macromedia developing software they were created with.

And whoever it was who claimed it's possible to play Amber in DosBox is speaking rubbish. It's a Windows 95 only game. No DOS version included.

Ohh, great game by the way. among my top ten adventures.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:52 AM   #17

Really?
Can you tell me how you're doing this?

I remember Safecracker (the original), designed for Windows 95 with Quicktime.
I had even problems playing it under 98!

Two days ago I installed Quest for Glory 5 under XP...worked fine, except for the cutscenes, which it skipped, because it needed Quicktime 3.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:04 AM   #18
Super Moderator

Tech discussions belong in the Hints and Technical tips forum. Lets keep the discussion to the gameplay, etc. involved with the game.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:25 AM   #19
Girl Next Door

I am so glad that people are still being able to play this game. It is one of my Top 5 favorite games of all time. So few of these 'ghost' story games get the atmosphere down right. Either not enough suspense or too much horror. Now that I know people are getting it to run under XP, I might see if I can get a copy off eBay and play it again. I love the part where the writing appears on the bathroom mirror! Chills, chills, chills!

Caring about the blogosphere one badly spelled post at a time.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:40 PM   #20

Darn, I so wanna get my copy running now I've read some of these comments.

Shame Dosbox and I aren't on speaking terms at the moment. I'll have to try this Virtual PC and VPC things out when I get the time.