You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Idiots in Adventures

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2008, 05:06 PM   #1

Default Idiots in Adventures

I am moved to speak with you all about idiocy. I'm somewhere in the middle of Moment of Silence right now, and I'm intrigued by the story, but I do find myself, fairly frequently, yelling at my monitor.

Because just about every character in The Moment of Silence is a complete and utter idiot.

Spoiler:

Diary of guy who got dragged away in middle of night by secret police: Dear diary, today my mysterious internet girlfriend gave me a winning ticket for a free vacation. Hang on, somebody's banging on my door, who could that be so late at ni-

Peter's mysterious internet girlfriend: Have a free vacation!

Peter: Neat!

Me: AUGH!

Mysterious Government Conspiracy Guys: Instead of killing our dissidents and subversives, let's keep them in a luxury spa, and let's build that spa on the same satellite where we manufacture our top secret weapon!

Me: Worst sinister plot EVER.

Peter: I am wanted by police worldwide as a terrorist! How tiring. I think I shall mosey to my known place of residence.

Me: I AM ASHAMED TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH YOU.

So what about you folks? What idiot moments have made you roll your eyes or apply head to desk? I'm not talking intentionally dumb comedic heroes like Guybrush, I mean supposedly serious characters who for some reason do things that are laughably stupid. Was it a hero you were tempted to just walk off a cliff and have done with it? A villain so incompetent they could inspire whole new chapters of the Evil Overlord List? Do tell!
Old 01-14-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
Treasure Hunter

These are all from Nibiru...
"I must find Bar-bore-ah."
Spoiler:
(sad tone) "Yes, my uncle and I had a lot in common... he was a great man..."

Spoiler:
"Get me a hotdog!" - Old woman
"Alright, fine." - Main character
"Here."
"Get me one with ketchup!"
"WHY?!" - Me.

Playing: ...
Next up: Syberia 2, Full Throttle, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Old 01-15-2008, 10:41 AM   #3

The peanut butter puzzle in Runaway. And Brian's flat dialog at any given time is also a given.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:53 PM   #4
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea ex Machina View Post
So what about you folks? What idiot moments have made you roll your eyes or apply head to desk? I'm not talking intentionally dumb comedic heroes like Guybrush, I mean supposedly serious characters who for some reason do things that are laughably stupid. Was it a hero you were tempted to just walk off a cliff and have done with it? A villain so incompetent they could inspire whole new chapters of the Evil Overlord List? Do tell!
Are you sure it's not the fictional characters that you're addressing but actually the weird-ass/lame-ass writers who created those characters? I mean, those "idiot" characters didn't exactly create themselves, you know.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-16-2008, 02:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Are you sure it's not the fictional characters that you're addressing but actually the weird-ass/lame-ass writers who created those characters? I mean, those "idiot" characters didn't exactly create themselves, you know.
No, I think he is right. Characters in video games are artificial intelligent, therefore you can call them idiots. Anyway, if the writers are idiots, then the characters must be idiots too. Or was it the other way around? mmmm.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:15 AM   #6

Not so much idiots, but flat delivery often RUINS a character for me. For example, even though i prefer the mechanics and structure of Tunguska to the later broken sword games...its george stobbart that wins for me in the end. He just feels real, and makes me laugh.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:22 AM   #7
JKR

As much as I enjoyed playing Runaway, Brian is indeed an idiot. So many times I was just screaming "TAKE THE FREAKING (insert random object)!! YOU'LL NEED IT LATER, I'M SURE!!"

He did a lot of stupid things.