You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane
Default Woah!!! (Myst IV)

Myst IV is amazing! Being a Riven fan I've been disappointed with every other Myst game I've played thus far. But Myst IV!!! HOLY ****! This one is extremely good! I wasn't expecting it to be this amazing. WOW.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
Treasure Hunter

I take it you haven't gotten very far yet.

Playing: ...
Next up: Syberia 2, Full Throttle, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Old 01-13-2008, 04:46 PM   #3

Hahaha. It's not perfect, but I think it strikes a good balance. I think Revelations is my favorite in the series, even if it's not as immersive or consistent as Riven, and beware: it contains some of the most hair-pullingly obnoxious puzzles of all time.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:22 AM   #4

I loved it up until Serenia (though I agree about the obnoxious puzzles). Unfortunately, from there on it was downhill all the way.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
Flower bower bird

I loved it all the way, and it's next in line as a favorite after Riven. Enjoy it!
Old 01-14-2008, 11:59 AM   #6

That was pretty much my first impression in a nutshell.

I still put this game on my pc from time to time and spend 5 minutes wondering around Atrus' house just for fun.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:57 PM   #7
Treasure Hunter

Yes, I do have to admit that is one cool place he has there...

Playing: ...
Next up: Syberia 2, Full Throttle, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Old 01-15-2008, 07:24 AM   #8

Only other games I can remember making me feel like this was the overwhelming size of the marketplace in Shenmue and, not so such an extent, Soul Calibur (Dreamcast) and Mario Sunshine.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:31 PM   #9

I think it's heartening to see such enthusiasm for this game. In terms of the graphics, I think it's the most technologically advanced Myst game (and probably therefore the most graphically splendid first-person pre-rendered adventure game). Just looking around at the environments, the creatures, the characters, the water and natural effects, is a joy, I think.

But I did think it left room for improvement in puzzles and story design.
Spoiler:
The Dream puzzles in particular were insane, but I didn't have a problem with the Dream concept being part of the story.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:33 PM   #10
Protector of the Seal

Looking at my savegames, I haven't played Revelation since 11/22/2005. After finishing a very frustrating Haven, Spire scared me off and I never went back. It's still installed though, so I'll pick it up again eventually and then move on to Myst V, which is still in the shrink wrap.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:15 PM   #11
tsa
Playing character

I loved the way Myst IV revealed much of the story of Atrus and his sons. And Yeesha is still a nice girl there, instead of the scary woman she is now.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:16 AM   #12
tsa
Playing character

Boneho Chane, your post here made me reinstall Myst IV. It runs beautifully on my new iMac, with all settings on Highest. It's such a gorgeous game. Yes, it has a few insane puzzles in it, but the graphics and atmosphere appeal greatly to me.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:29 AM   #13
Easily amused

Having taken over a year to finish this game, it's obvious that there were parts of it that were very frustrating. I really hated the timed /dexterity puzzles.I think this game is more like Uru that the first 3 Mysts. Having said that, you can;t fault the game for atmosphere and immersion in the environment. Like Uru, I hated the game play, but would gladly spend hours just walking around and soaking up the surroundings. There was always something new to see, some little detail I had missed earlier.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:35 AM   #14

Speaking of which, check out this link (pay attention to the prices):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Myst-IV-Reve...0497640&sr=1-1

Now check out what came through the post yesterday (again, check the price):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN:IT&ih=018
Old 01-16-2008, 11:12 AM   #15

It's funny, I didn't have any issue with the timed puzzles. It may be that I was using the patched version, which made said puzzles less strict, but I felt that they weren't unfair.

The one puzzle that really bothered me was the
Spoiler:
final puzzle, in Dream, in which you had to rearrange Yeesha's memories. While it's a cute idea in theory, the horridly arbitrary Rubik's Cube nature of the puzzle really annoyed me.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiHann View Post
It's funny, I didn't have any issue with the timed puzzles. It may be that I was using the patched version, which made said puzzles less strict, but I felt that they weren't unfair.

The one puzzle that really bothered me was the
Spoiler:
final puzzle, in Dream, in which you had to rearrange Yeesha's memories. While it's a cute idea in theory, the horridly arbitrary Rubik's Cube nature of the puzzle really annoyed me.
That's interesting:
Spoiler:
I didn't have any trouble with the final puzzle (in fact, I think I quite enjoyed it). But I had terrible trouble with the 'brush the cursor over the coloured spirits' one, and I also took a while to get used to the timing of the communicating-with-the-mangrees puzzles. And I'm sure I had the patch, but it still seemed too strict.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:45 PM   #17
Ronin

They were actually clever puzzles (the spider-chair and the monkey game). Why there had to be time restrictions is beyond me.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet View Post
Having taken over a year to finish this game, it's obvious that there were parts of it that were very frustrating. I really hated the timed /dexterity puzzles.I think this game is more like Uru than the first 3 Mysts.
I hated the timed/dexterity "puzzles" too. But I don't see much similarity between Myst IV and Uru. Myst V is a lot more like Uru, using a tweaked version of the same 3D engine. The worst timed puzzle in Uru
Spoiler:
was actually due to its long timer, not its short one -- a 15 minute wait in Ercana -- super boring.

Quote:
Having said that, you can;t fault the game for atmosphere and immersion in the environment.
I can fault it. I got really tired of the tinted colors in Haven -- like looking through amber-colored glasses all day long.

I was disappointed in Myst IV, especially after the beginning of the game had looked so promising. I played from Tomanha to Spire to Haven to Serenia, and the game just seemed to find new ways to get worse as I went along.
Also, they really needed a control to turn off the cursor animation, which was a PITA during the timed puzzles.
Did the patch fix that? I played the game before the patch came out.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:18 AM   #19
Easily amused

Quote:
hated the timed/dexterity "puzzles" too. But I don't see much similarity between Myst IV and Uru. Myst V is a lot more like Uru, using a tweaked version of the same 3D engine.
I haven't played Myst V yet, so it's hard for me to comment, but I'm definitely not looking as forward to it as I was.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:24 AM   #20

I don't think Myst V had any timed puzzles at all; and unlike Uru, you couldn't jump. The tablet interface in Myst V worked very well for most of the time too.