You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2007, 04:40 PM   #1

Default Taking notes

I've played several games while taking notes to make sure I wouldn't need to use a walkthrough. That never really mattered because the notes ended up not being necessary. I guess the puzzles were too simple or the answers were not within the story.

Are there any games where taking notes is a good idea? It would be fun to play something where I have to be more observant of things.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:53 PM   #2

The only game that comes to mind is Sentinel: Descendants in Time. Think I filled about 6 pages with notes and drawings. Other than that, most games that come out these days are either too easy, or have puzzles that are just completely illogical, both eliminating the need for notes. Or they have some sort of automatic note gather thingy implemented. (like the CSI games for example)
Old 11-22-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
Adventure Newbie

I needed to with Myst. Can't remember any others.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:00 AM   #4
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProggleRock View Post
I second that. Notes were almost required for some sections of Myst

Generally I find I can remember most pertinent facts if the puzzles are more story based.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 11-23-2007, 02:59 AM   #5
Red Bicycle Brake Unit

KGB. There's a lot of text, and quite a bit of it is important. If you don't pay attention you could end up saying the wrong things, missing important events, or simply having no idea what to do next. Not to mention the debriefings and information exchanges where giving the wrong answers can get you deported or worse.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:48 AM   #6
Lazy Bee

Sentinel for sure. Without taking notes you're lost.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:53 AM   #7

I take notes often (and draw maps).

There's a point in Phantasmagoria 2 where you're basically screwed if you haven't noted down people's phone numbers in advance.

Rhem demands notes, maps, and close observation to figure out what's going on. If you're after a tough mental challenge and don't mind the sterile atmosphere, I recommend it.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:59 AM   #8
Ronin

I still take notes sometimes, but it's only to record codes and passwords. In the past, the reason to take notes was to record clues that would help you with complex logic puzzles (e.g. "the density of silver is 4x the density of redwood"). But puzzles have been dumbed down a lot in the last decade, and it's rare that you will find one that is complex enough to require note-taking.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:26 AM   #9
Easily amused

I'm a serious note taker. I have different colored pens, graph paper for maps and drawings, rulers and stencils for charts, etc. For me, it's as much fun as the game itself. Some of the most note intensive games I've played are the Myst games, Rhem, Dark Fall, Black Dahlia, Chemicus/Physicus/Bioscopia and Obsidian.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:05 AM   #10
QFG

Notes are almost mandatory for Dark Fall. I was lost without them, and had to restart the game with my wife taking notes.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:23 AM   #11
a|A

Send a message via MSN to a|A

I've always got a large supply of post-it notes around my desk, and a spare set in my TV room. You never know when a game will require you to whip out a pen and write down some notes.

I think that's why I enjoyed Phantom Hourglass on the DS so much, because you can draw your notes right on to your map. Very cool design idea that I think more games should incorperate.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:56 AM   #12
The Quiet One

Yeah, i sometimes take notes. I got a notepad especially for things like adventure games. I jot down things like passwords, maps, codes and directions to take etc. and keep 'em for future reference. I had to take notes for the likes of Still Life where i keep forgetting some of the puzzle solutions for the locked doors. Either that or i'll type up some of my own puzzle solutions, which i make a bit more in-depth than some of the walkthroughs out there, and add a couple of screenshots.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 11-24-2007, 04:01 AM   #13
Backsliding Pagan

Yikes. Everyone here is so organized.

I only take notes when I feel absolutely forced to--I guess because I take notes and make lists all day in my usual life, so I don't feel thrilled about doing it when I'm entertaining myself.

Don't hurt me.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by a|A View Post
I think that's why I enjoyed Phantom Hourglass on the DS so much, because you can draw your notes right on to your map. Very cool design idea that I think more games should incorperate.
That's one feature I really like about Stonekeep (an RPG-adventure hybrid). Early on in the game you pick up a magic journal that registers your statistics, auto-maps as you travel, and keeps track of your quests and important plot points. You can't change the map itself, but you can annotate it as much as you want.

The journal also keeps an illustrated list of every object and spell you find, and you can freely edit the default descriptions to rename the things or note down their uses. (Also handy if you can't work out from the graphics what an object is -- look in the journal to read its description.) It's been a while since I've played it, and I can't be sure, but there might also be a section of the journal to jot down any notes you like.

Now, I think Stonekeep's from the 1980s, so there's not much excuse not to have that sort of playing aid available today.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProggleRock View Post
Same here. And I've just started Myst 3
Oh and Midnight Nowhere.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:33 PM   #16
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapstorm View Post
I still take notes sometimes, but it's only to record codes and passwords. In the past, the reason to take notes was to record clues that would help you with complex logic puzzles (e.g. "the density of silver is 4x the density of redwood"). But puzzles have been dumbed down a lot in the last decade, and it's rare that you will find one that is complex enough to require note-taking.
I also see myself taking less and less notes. But still, I jot down a few words for almost every game I play, if only to keep track of the story. And of course sometimes you have to make maps, like in the Moon Adventure that Izzhof is playing with us in the forums here. I'm now playing Voyage, and you really need to take notes for that one too, to keep track of everything you try.

Edit: and let me add that I'm not much of a fan of in-game diaries and such. I prefer taking my own notes, which means I do more note-taking than is strictly necessary.

Edit2: and notes are great if you want to replay a game! Msyt suddenly is very easy when you replay it using the notes you took when you played it the first time. That gives you more time to take in all the locations and beautiful scenery. Especially Riven I enjoyed a lot more when I played it the second time.

Last edited by tsa; 11-28-2007 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:41 AM   #17
Dreamfall Soon!

For the most part I enjoy taking my notes for games and I usually do even if there is an in-game diary. I also like to use the notes because sometimes you have to keep referring to some things during a puzzle and it's a pain in the butt to keep opening and closing the in game diary.

I have to say that I am darn glad that I no longer have to make maps for games anymore! That was one thing that I hated.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:06 PM   #18
Treasure Hunter

We had a large leather-bound book (that looks a lot like the Releeshan book from Myst 3) which we recorded notes for a lot of games in. This includes the first three Myst games, and I think even some for the Journeyman Project 2...

Book got too damaged though from all the use... had to get rid of it. The best part was that my mom could solve any puzzle with a piece of paper and a pen. That's how she decoded lots of stuff in Riven.

Seriously, I don't know anyone who can beat the first two games without writing anything down.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:08 AM   #19
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

There are always a handy notepad or scrap paper, coloured pens and pencils on the other desk for all my adventure game notetaking needs!

I have a huge binder to store all my notes, maps, diagrams, codes and passwords to practically every adventure game I've played. It's really helpful for whenever I decide to replay a particular game, since they're arranged alphabetically by title! My multi-paged map of Rhem with arrows all over the place still looks hilarious! The map and notes for Rhem 2 are just as messy! No wonder the games are referred to as "Myst for Plumbers" and "Myst for Electricians" respectively!
Old 12-03-2007, 09:47 AM   #20
Easily amused

Quote:
have a huge binder to store all my notes, maps, diagrams, codes and passwords to practically every adventure game I've played. It's really helpful for whenever I decide to replay a particular game, since they're arranged alphabetically by title! My multi-paged map of Rhem with arrows all over the place still looks hilarious! The map and notes for Rhem 2 are just as messy! No wonder the games are referred to as "Myst for Plumbers" and "Myst for Electricians" respectively!
I have a file cabinet full of my notes (all alphabetically stored), some which are so detailed, they are more like gaming journals. I include screen shots, maps, drawings, written material that I find in the game, and even some dialogue trees. When I go back through them, I can relive the game.