You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Making of The Longest Journey on Slashdot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2007, 10:03 PM   #1
tsa
Playing character

Default Making of The Longest Journey on Slashdot

Over on Slashdot (news for nerds. Stuff that Matters) there is a thread about an interview with Ragnar Tørnquist about the making of The Longest Journey! The fact that a story about an adventure game makes it to /. (Slashdot) seems a clear sign that adventure games are becoming mainstream again. Yay!
Old 10-19-2007, 10:42 PM   #2
King Silly

Couldn't but agree with this post: http://games.slashdot.org/comments.p...d&cid=21047571

Anyhow, good to hear that all. I have noticed we're getting more and more adventures year after year again, so yeah traditional P&C AG'ing is getting back where it belongs one day, I hope! Whatever it takes to have more games published.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:56 PM   #3
tsa
Playing character

I agreed more with this post. IMHO many people put way too much emphasis on the fighting in Dreamfall. The fighting in Dreamfall is so easy you could almost do it with your eyes closed and still win. But I agree it doesn't add anything to the game, is annoying, and should be left out.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallFurryCreature
Platformers don't suddenly add a long story segment to appeal to adventures [yeah, Psychonauts didn't do that at all], so why add platform gaming to adventures. Combat games don't suddenly get a rich plot to appeal to adventures [Deus Ex?], so why add combat to adventures. Action games don't suddenly add character development to their heroes [like Half Life 2], so why add action to adventures.
(brackets mine) ... Rock-solid reasoning, clearly.

Though his argument gets slightly better after.
Quote:
I don't mind mixed genre's where a game really focusses on combing two different game styles together. BUT in adventure land this doesn't happen, what happens that an extremely poor version of another game format is tacked on top. I don't mind combat in dreamfall. I mind that it is an extremely poor combat engine. It responds slowly, you have no special moves, it is just crap.
This I agree with.