You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Sam and Max, Season 1...=(

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2007, 03:06 PM   #81
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Well, since most of my summer consisted of being in the hospital--and I'm now reunited with my car and back in my apartment...YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!--I decided to go hunting for this game. The first store had never even heard of it, but at the second one I went to, I bought both Sam'n'Max Season One AND a horror-adventure called Dead Reefs. This, by the way, is my first encounter with ANYthing Sam'n'Max-related. Never saw the show, played the first game or read the comics.

After playing most of Episode 1, I really love it so far. The dialogue, crazy puzzles(I'll never look at swiss cheese the same way again, lol), and the overall look are all so much fun to experience. Can't wait for news on Season 2!!

Oh, and the "extras" CD is awesome, too. I changed my wallpaper right away!!

Last edited by LeisureSuitedLooney; 09-07-2007 at 03:07 PM. Reason: speleng erurrs... :)
Old 09-07-2007, 04:08 PM   #82
Super Moderator

I hope you're feeling better LSL! I'm sorry you had that kind of summer. And I'm glad you're enjoying the game. It's definitely a mood lifter.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:10 PM   #83
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
I hope you're feeling better LSL! I'm sorry you had that kind of summer. And I'm glad you're enjoying the game. It's definitely a mood lifter.

Thank you, I am...and Season One's certainly keeping me laughing, too!!
Old 09-07-2007, 04:18 PM   #84
Headbanger

I'm currently at Episode 5 and I'm totally blown away with all the games so far.

I didn't feel that people on this forum who played the games when they were released praised them in any way, so my expectations weren't that high. But this is pure Lucasarts magic.

With that said, I don't think this idea of releasing games in small episodes is a good one. A full length game can take the time to say so much more. But when the games are this good, who really cares.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:22 AM   #85
Doctor Watson

Is Season 1 available in Finland in any stores at the moment? Anttila? EB Games at Kamppi? Stockmann? (Especially in Helsinki, but if you know that it's available somewhere else, it's most probably available here as well.)

I know CDON.COM has it but if I can buy it nearby, I'd prefer that.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:58 AM   #86
3rd person fanatic :)

Yes, I was disappointed, but it's more likely because of Realtime 3D... It makes the graphics messy and still it's way too heavy to run if you cannot afford to buy today's most efficient computer
Old 09-15-2007, 05:59 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie View Post
Is Season 1 available in Finland in any stores at the moment? Anttila? EB Games at Kamppi? Stockmann? (Especially in Helsinki, but if you know that it's available somewhere else, it's most probably available here as well.)

I know CDON.COM has it but if I can buy it nearby, I'd prefer that.
In finland we have this thing called "Lack of adventure games..." Haven't seen it... or any else adventure for that matter excluding Runaway 2 and very few others...
Old 09-15-2007, 06:54 AM   #88
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I haven't seen Sam & Max Season box anywhere in Vaasa either, but our locals shops are useless. The only shops that sell games around here are supermarkets.

Where's the good old Top Game Shop and Montin/Datainfo when you need those?
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:24 AM   #89
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBird View Post
Yes, I was disappointed, but it's more likely because of Realtime 3D... It makes the graphics messy and still it's way too heavy to run if you cannot afford to buy today's most efficient computer
What are your computer specs and what settings were you trying to run it under?

Sam & Max's specs are really very modest; any 3D-capable video card that's 5 years old or less should be able to run it.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:20 AM   #90
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig View Post
I haven't seen Sam & Max Season box anywhere in Vaasa either, but our locals shops are useless. The only shops that sell games around here are supermarkets.
Sounds like I have to order it online, then.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:39 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
What are your computer specs and what settings were you trying to run it under?

Sam & Max's specs are really very modest; any 3D-capable video card that's 5 years old or less should be able to run it.
AMD athlon xp 2600+ @ 1,9ghz, 1gb memory, Nvidia Geforce 4 4200 Ti with 64 Mb memory, windows xp professional and the playing experience is like sticky spider in the jam jar. (Settings were the most low-quality that the game offered)
Old 09-15-2007, 09:29 PM   #92
fov
Rattenmonster

Yeah, the Geforce4 is probably the oldest card that can handle this game (and it is a five year old card ). You may find that the driver available here helps - a lot of Geforce4 users had better performance with Sam & Max after they installed it.

About six months ago I upgraded my video card from a Geforce2 to a Geforce 6200 because I wasn't quite ready to buy a new machine. I don't play a lot of heavy duty 3D games, but the ones I do play (Sam & Max, Sims 2, Dreamfall, Psychonauts) run pretty well now, and it cost less than $100. (The rest of my specs are about the same as yours - 1.7GHz processor, 1gig RAM.)
Old 09-15-2007, 11:22 PM   #93

Thanks fov, but I already have those omega drivers Ah, well... quess I have to wait for some income so I can afford to buy new graphics card... I have planned it for a long time anyway... Geforce 4 titanium was a great card of it's time, but now it is just about in the limit to play newest 3D games (And my windows 98 project needs a new card too, so I think this titanium will be perfect there,) what you think
Old 09-16-2007, 05:33 AM   #94
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
I'm currently at Episode 5 and I'm totally blown away with all the games so far.

I didn't feel that people on this forum who played the games when they were released praised them in any way, so my expectations weren't that high.
Really? Well, I absolutely LOVED Season 1 and said so several times on this forum.

Brace yourself for Episode 6, you're about to discover a whole new and wonderful side of Max, which had me in stitches.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:13 AM   #95
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Geforce 4 titanium was a great card of it's time, but now it is just about in the limit to play newest 3D games
I felt the say way about my Geforce 2. I didn't really want to give it up because it had served me so well. But when I couldn't install Psychonauts and Dreamfall, I decided the time had come.

The Geforce 4 will probably be perfect in your Win98 machine!
Old 09-17-2007, 09:05 PM   #96
Headbanger

Quote:
Sounds like I have to order it online, then.
Seems kind of weird, I mean it is released in Finland, right? Why would they bother printing Sam & Max Pikaohje in the manual if CDON is the only store who sells it???
Old 10-05-2007, 12:34 PM   #97
Doctor Watson

Yay, I finally got it! And it doesn't fit my hard drive (I have a very small Windows-partition on my MacBook) and it didn't include a poster although it says it should on the cover...
Old 10-05-2007, 12:39 PM   #98
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yay, I finally got it! And it doesn't fit my hard drive (I have a very small Windows-partition on my MacBook) and it didn't include a poster although it says it should on the cover...
JoWood had a run of the games where they left them out. If you look at the announcement on the Telltale forums, there's an email to request a poster.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:42 PM   #99
King Silly

I really loved the every single episode of this season. Especially the humor on Sam'n'Max was absolutely hilarious. That's all I have to say. Can't wait for season 2.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:11 PM   #100
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
JoWood had a run of the games where they left them out. If you look at the announcement on the Telltale forums, there's an email to request a poster.
Thanks a bunch, I would have just accepted this as a sad fact of life.