You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure *Sigh* I just beat Dreamfall.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2007, 11:19 PM   #1

Default *Sigh* I just beat Dreamfall.

Allow me to introduce myself.. I'm Xehirut. I've been playing adventure games as long as I can remember. My very first one was QFG 1: So you want to be a hero.. and I grew up with those. I found this site, believe it or not via Ragnar Tørnquist's personal Blog, after looking up news for a probable sequel to Dreamfall.

I was signature 1165 or something like that when we all wanted Ragnar to bring us a Longest Journey sequel, and it came. Unfortunately when it came out, I didn't have a computer fast enough to run it. Just recently I spent a lot of money and built myself a whole new computer.

Remembering that I had Dreamfall (I bought it the day it came out despite not having a computer that could run it), I installed it, and played it almost continuously for three days.

The Longest Journey was and still is, one of my favorite adventure games of all time. Dreamfall, was as as impressive as the first, however, it was plagued with control issues. However, I still plugged away at it and beat it.

I'm just disappointed with the ending.

Anyway.. it's good to be here, and I look forward to discussing these classic games with everyone.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:49 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome Xehirut!

Glad to have you on board.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
Gangsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehirut View Post
I'm just disappointed with the ending.
I hear ya buddy.

And was it just me or did you only get to play as the assassin guy for like three minutes? Were there even any puzzles he had to solve?

Wack.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:20 PM   #4

Hi,

The longest journey is also one of the top 3 adventure games I played. It has great atmosphere and even a better main character

I played Dreamfall when it came out, and i loved it. the graphics are beautiful, and Zoe is also a great character... April got a bit to "darky" for my taste, but that is supposed to happen after all she's been through...

But i didn't like the ending as well. I thought there are maybe several endings
depending what you do, but... i was mistaking...

Anyway... everyone who liked TLJ will love Dreamfall...
Old 08-28-2007, 10:23 PM   #5
tsa
Playing character

There is a LONG thread about the plot and ending of Dreamfall here. You can find lots of opinions and plot discussions there. Maybe this thread should/could be merged with that one?
Old 08-29-2007, 04:44 PM   #6
Super Moderator

We'll call this one the spoiler-free edition. You've given the link to the spoiler-laden one so I we're set for both situations.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:33 PM   #7

I finished Dreamfall last week and I really didn't see why everyone beats down on the ending so much. It's a cliffhanger, OK - clearly designed for another part. But it wasn't a bad cliffhanger and there were interesting parts of the plot left open.

Perhaps some would argue the game was too short? I spread my games out over several weeks so I didn't really notice. My biggest criticism of Dreamfall was the action sequences; the game felt like a poor man's Splinter Cell at one point.

Just as TLJ inspired me to play Dreamfall, this one has inspired me to play the next. It might be a while coming but I think it'll be worth the wait.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:43 PM   #8
tsa
Playing character

What makes life worth living is the fact that there's always something new lurking just around the corner that is worth waiting for!
Old 09-01-2007, 02:48 AM   #9

Currently playing Dreamfall (Chapter 4, have played 2 evenings). These controls and camera angles give me headache. Puzzles are too simple even for me. Still im am trying to complete it. Story seems to be ok and graphics are awesome. Im already dissappointed in gameplay, but i keep going. My hopes weren't high about ending, plus I see it here too.

I think this game just isn't for true adventuregamer...its for wide audience.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:58 AM   #10
tsa
Playing character

I wasn't too impressed by the graphics. Uru ran on much more modest hardware and it looked much much better IMO. But Dreamfall has that certain undefinable something that makes the game an instant classic in my book. I enjoyed it immensely.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:12 PM   #11

Most of the scenes in Dreamfall aren't anything to write home about, but one or two really do shine.

Can't say which ones because this is a spoiler free thread. But they were enough to make me stop playing for a second to absorb the scenery, which is something only Oblivion has ever made me do (although that makes you do it quite often ).
Old 09-05-2007, 07:51 AM   #12

I loved Dreamfall and wouldn't really mind the ending at all, if it weren't for the fact, that at the time the game was produced there was absolutely no guarantee, that a sequel would be made.

I think the story, the graphics and the soundtrack were awesome, and if this game had actually had any puzzles, then I would have called it the best adventuregame ever.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:32 AM   #13
The Ultimate Insult

I got bored with Dreamfall.
I loved the beginning, and everything about it.
But running around with bots and sneaking into places blew it for me.
I like SIMPLE point and click action, not running around like a loon. I could deal with the Broken Sword violence and quick reaction because theres a continue feature? And it was fresh but still a simple PnC. Sleeping Dragon kinda ruined this for me. But I liked the part in Glastonbury.

Currently playing; CSI Deadly Intent, Tales Of Monkey Island Ep 1
Recently finished;Secret Files Puritas Cordis, Prof Layton and Pandora's Box
Eagerly anticipating;Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe new world, Nearly Departed
Old 09-10-2007, 10:20 PM   #14

I finished it on yesterday evening.
I loved the beginning and characters. Voiceacting was good and I liked the story, but all this running arund the place, sneaking and stuff - it was kinda turn off. I'm more into point and click action like Atlantis is.
And for the ending, it wasn't my favorite. I can't say it was bad, or good, there were just elements which I liked and which I didn't. Generally I liked it, although there was a time when I was quite bored and ready to give up.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:59 AM   #15

I personally think that Dreamfall's "certain undefinable something that makes the game an instant classic" is a lack of decent contemparary games.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:13 AM   #16

This game is now over a year old and we are still talking about it. I think thats awesome and says a lot.

I've never loved a game so severely flawed so much.

I have good feelings about DF Chapters.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:36 AM   #17
tsa
Playing character

Yeah, it fits right in between GK, KQ, S&M and the like.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:39 AM   #18
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by noknowncure View Post
I personally think that Dreamfall's "certain undefinable something that makes the game an instant classic" is a lack of decent contemparary games.
There are many contemporary games that I would consider decent. Most of them are not made by well-known companies however. But if you look for them there are some gems to be found. You don't even have to look hard. Just browse this site and you will find them!
Old 09-12-2007, 03:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
There are many contemporary games that I would consider decent. Most of them are not made by well-known companies however. But if you look for them there are some gems to be found. You don't even have to look hard. Just browse this site and you will find them!
What similar contemporary games does it share then? Epic fantasy story style, that's of an excellent standard?
Old 09-12-2007, 05:31 AM   #20
tsa
Playing character

Now you just added the word 'similar.' That is what makes Dreamfall stand out: there are no similar games at the moment. Every classic something, wether it's a game, a piece of music or a painting, stands out like that. Rembrandt is a 'classic' because none of his contemporaries painted like he did. But that doesn't say his contemporaries were all bad.