You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Which Type of Gameplay Do We Prefer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
What kind of gameplay do I prefer?

It all depends on my mood.
This is very important. There tends to be an all or nothing attitude on issues like these; that if one game is, say, 3D all games will be 3D, which is daft, because there's obviously room for variety.

It's the same with the genre arguments that crop up here every so often. Someone will mention a game that isn't an "Adventure Game" in the strictest sense - i.e. there may be a bone-chilling point where a character has to jump or something equally gut-wrenching - and people become incandescent with rage, as if the merest mention of such a variation will irreparably alter the fate of the good old fashioned point n' click.

I'd really like adventure games to catch up with the rest of the gaming genres - to some extent, you know, by at least a few paces - while simultaneously producing traditional games.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:29 PM   #22
Headbanger

I think using the keyboard is much more fun compared to just mouseclick and watch your character take a walk on the screen.

But both 3D and 2D can be used in both bad and good ways, it all comes down to how well designed the game is.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:59 PM   #23
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
What kind of gameplay do I prefer?
Silly rabbit, the thread wasn't asking what kind of gameplay you prefer; it was asking what we, as a homogenized body, prefer. No one cares about individual opinions! *sigh*
Old 07-19-2007, 06:40 PM   #24
Thats the ticket

I want gameplay to be less predictable in nature. There will be a lot of bitchy whiners initially but they will get over it.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
I prefer 3D point 'n click
I agree. The new Sam & Max gets it right, in my opinion.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:42 AM   #26

I've heard Broken Sword 3 referred to as point and click and NOT. I wonder if both are true?

Personally, I like point and click but it didn't start out that way.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 07-20-2007, 07:19 AM   #27
Ronin

Point and click is usually the best for PC adventure games, because it's easy and effortless for anyone who regularly uses a PC. The duty of adventure games should not be to challenge one's motor cortex with difficult control tasks. That's the domain of other video game genres. Adventure games should stimulate the cerebral cortex.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:29 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilLives View Post
I've heard Broken Sword 3 referred to as point and click and NOT. I wonder if both are true?
I've no idea where you heard that, but BS3 is not in any way point-and click. It doesn't have any sort of mouse control at all, not even for the menus. BS4, on the other hand, can be played using either point-and-click or the keyboard.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:17 AM   #29

Thanks … someone referred to it as such in another forum! I was a little confused because I’m playing it now … and wishing it were point and click! Since Broken Sword 4 IS, however, I might give it a try after I finish 3. Funny … I never went the BS games because the title was a turn off. But now I see swords don’t have much to do with it.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)