You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Which Type of Gameplay Do We Prefer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2007, 03:39 AM   #1

Default Which Type of Gameplay Do We Prefer?

We will all have noticed that the majority of adventure games in a series sooner or later change their gameplay to the 3D-style. For example: Broken Sword 3 and Gabriel Knight. Personally I feel that these games were better as good old point & click. Myst has still stuck to its original gameplay but it was still slightly 3D all along.

I was just wondering if anyone else shared my view?

I miss point & click
Old 07-18-2007, 05:01 AM   #2

I prefer 3D point 'n click, like in Broken Sword 4.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:03 AM   #3

Point and click is probably the easiest to use, but I don't mind keyboard control either.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:34 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to Ledz

Besides not liking first person adventure games, I have no problem with 3D adventures, except it can be risky to try new things with it, as it can be buggy and tough to control(recent example: Dead Reefs), so I think 2d point and click is really the safest, and with the focus less on the visual quality, the main focus is on gameplay and story.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley_q4 View Post
Myst has still stuck to its original gameplay but it was still slightly 3D all along.
The last Myst was fully 3D as well as having a point-and-click option. Ankh is another 3D game that used point-and-click. The BS4 game engine needed to be tweaked and the point-and-click implementation wasn't as successful as in the first two games I listed, but it allowed point-and-click as well. It's not impossible to have a game both be point-and-click and use a real time 3D game engine.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:03 PM   #6
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledz View Post
Besides not liking first person adventure games, I have no problem with 3D adventures, except it can be risky to try new things with it, as it can be buggy and tough to control(recent example: Dead Reefs), so I think 2d point and click is really the safest, and with the focus less on the visual quality, the main focus is on gameplay and story.
Same here.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:11 PM   #7
Look behind you!

I love 2D point and click games. 3D is ok too, i guess.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:45 PM   #8

I like the Tex Murphy type , nice 3D graphics , good FMV.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:36 PM   #9

I prefer 3D point and click 3rd person games, but I've been enjoying 1st persons games lately, like Dreamfall and Uru....

Penumbria is a little hard to get the hang of, though.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:25 PM   #10

I think games in 3D don't have the charm of the good ol 2D. But that depense on the game of course

Remember: "You can pick your Friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose."
Old 07-18-2007, 10:32 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to Ledz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meche View Post
but I've been enjoying 1st persons games lately, like Dreamfall and Uru....
What version of Dreamfall were YOU playing?
Old 07-19-2007, 04:15 AM   #12

He means Dark Fall, it's confusing apples with cows.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledz View Post
What version of Dreamfall were YOU playing?
No, you can play Dreamfall in first person as well as in 3rd person. As I remember it, you can have point and click games in 3D. Dreamfall at least have an option to move with the point and click of the mouse.

Runaway 2 is a traditional point and click game, in 2D, (I think). I don't mind
2D games, but I prefer the somewhat freeform ability in say Zork: Nemesis and the full 3D games in which you basically can go anywhere, look at anything, and do anything you like.

The gameplay in 2D games feel like I'm being railroaded through a story written by the developers of the game that want me only to look in certain directions in order for me to advance the story. I want the ability to discover this for myself. And that's why I don't like traditional 2D slide shows in (adventure) games anymore. But I don't mind it, if they're in a game, I've bought.

I wish that more adventure games would makde the gameplay fully 3D while still retaining the point and click interface, or at least make it an option to use the mouse for moving about in the game and such things.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:38 AM   #14

I think that to make a successful fully 3D adventure game you need to take risks and try different techniques to learn what does and doesn't work. The extra dimension could, in theory, open up entirely new kinds of game play, but to discover this you have to experiment.

However, for the most part companies are still making 2D games that happen to take place in three dimensional worlds.

A 2D world without hotspots feels barren, because you're being shown everything about an area in one go. Once you've examined the details, that's that. No hotspots, no depth. A 3D world gets past this to an extent, simply because of the element of deeper exploration. You see a new area, then you get to explore all of its nooks and crannies for yourself, creating a feeling of deeper interaction.

Ah... what was the question?

Last edited by noknowncure; 07-19-2007 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Nooks and Crannies. What's a Cranny?
Old 07-19-2007, 05:39 AM   #15
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley_q4 View Post
We will all have noticed that the majority of adventure games in a series sooner or later change their gameplay to the 3D-style. For example: Broken Sword 3 and Gabriel Knight. Personally I feel that these games were better as good old point & click. Myst has still stuck to its original gameplay but it was still slightly 3D all along.
Welcome to the Forum, harley_q4. (I think you haven't been welcomed yet.)

You seem to be confusing the issues of the graphics and the controls. As others have said, 3D games can be point and click. Ouroboros and crabapple gave some examples, and I'd like to add that Gabriel Knight 3 was also almost p&c (the keyboard is used to move the camera around, but the actual interaction with the environment is done only by p&c). So I guess you'll have to specify what you meant by "3D-style gameplay" in your question.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries323 View Post
No, you can play Dreamfall in first person as well as in 3rd person.
You can?

Last edited by AFGNCAAP; 07-19-2007 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:51 AM   #16

Something that confuses me is that more and more action based games contain Adventure-Gamey puzzles throughout, so why can't someone simply create a similar game that removes the shooting element?
Old 07-19-2007, 06:00 AM   #17

because DooM3 without shooting is like a point n click game without a mouse

[lalala]just kidding of course

Remember: "You can pick your Friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose."
Old 07-19-2007, 10:26 AM   #18

It seems that when it comes to games, there are certain trends that come into fashion, and then fall away, like FMV at one time. 3D environments are so prevalent now, that people come to expect them in their game play. Having grown up with the golden age of Sierra and Lucasarts games, I always feel a certain fondness for that type of gameplay environment, though I can be persuaded. Once I got used to it, I really enjoyed the style of Gabriel Knight 3. It seemed like I was really there, exploring with my own eyes, yet Gabriel was the one I was controlling whenever I chose to perform an action. Same with the reviled (though I quite enjoyed it) King's Quest 8: Mask of Eternity. I would certainly welcome a game that played like Half-Life 2, in that you could move freely throughout the world, only instead of the point being to engage in combat, you would collect inventory items and use them like in any adventure game. What I don't enjoy, is when I have to fight the controls. I played Broken Sword 3 trying not to crane my neck to see what I wanted to look at, not what the camera automatically spun around to show me.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:46 AM   #19

that's what I meant when i said 2D got a charm that 3D doesn't

Old 07-19-2007, 12:46 PM   #20
Super Moderator

What kind of gameplay do I prefer?

It all depends on my mood.