You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2007, 02:01 PM   #1
dhz
Tourist in Paris

Default Ankh 2

I was wondering, did this adventure come out already (english version)??? I've read that Ankh 3 is in progress too!
Old 06-11-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I saw it in a shop the other day, so it's out in the UK at least.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:54 PM   #3

I own it.

Got it from Amazon for about £16.99 I think.

It has been a little let down so far. The lighting effects somehow make the locations seem bland and the character models somehow seem worse than the previous.

But what has really got me more than anything is that it is completely bug ridden. I've had to restart the game twice because of bugs that have cause me to. Not to mention having to reload in places because the curser wouldn't change to exit a room, characters not appearing, or voices playing over each other.

Some of the character's voices have changed, including Thara (really cheesy American voice) and the Bazaar merchant who seems to have caught on a Scotish or Welsh accent or something.

The original was a breathe of fresh air but I cannot recommend this whilst it's so bug ridden.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #4
dhz
Tourist in Paris

Well, I think I'll reconsider my investment

I liked the humour of the first game, it was a fresh and light adventure game, and that really got me.

I'll be definitely giving a try to Jack Keane, it also looks like that they focused more on this game than Ankh 2
Old 06-13-2007, 11:33 AM   #5
Trial and Error

I had the exact same experience as Terramax. I had 3 or 4 goes at the game and gave up. I uninstalled it. If you decide you want it, and you are in Canada, I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping.

Rich
Old 06-13-2007, 12:16 PM   #6
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
Some of the character's voices have changed, including Thara (really cheesy American voice)
And a voice is automatically worse because it's American?

Of course any change of voice actor is a bit jarring, especially when the new VA has a different accent (I'm thinking of Elaine in CMI/EMI here) but for goodness sakes, this is a game in ancient Egypt. I seriously doubt pharaohs spoke in Received Pronunciation...
Old 06-13-2007, 12:50 PM   #7

It may not be the entire cast, but the Ankh games certainly share a good few voice artists with The Moment of Silence. Certainly the guy who provided Peter Wright's voice is there, and he's very good - and varied, I think he provides the voice for the imprisoned fruit seller, the guru, Assil's dad and the wine merchant, amongst others.

Less good, however, is the bloke doing the Pharaoh’s voice. He did a few voices in MOS too - the guy at the newsstand and your fat colleague, for example - where he was just as stilted. He has the uncanny ability to read a line, but put the emphasis in exactly the wrong place, every time.

I thought the new Thara was a marked improvement on the first, making the reappearance of the obviously-English-putting-on-a-poor-American-accent girl, playing Assil's friend & the Princess, all the more inexplicable.

And whoever the young sounding, English voice actor who provided the voice of the revolution leader, needs to find another job, post haste.

Other than my problems with some of the vocal talent, I thought Ankh 2 was fine. Just as short as the first, and equally unfunny, but its heart's in the right place. I didn't come across any major bugs myself, but I did find the odd glitch, suggesting that not all the problems have been ironed out.

Considering it's an area that's vital - or at least of large importance - to adventure games, I wish developers would put more effort in, when it comes to organising a good voice cast. I think games that get translated suffer from this the most, but time and time again, it's been proven that just getting anyone to fill in, doesn't work.

Last edited by noknowncure; 06-13-2007 at 12:51 PM. Reason: I wanted to add a bit more, obviously...
Old 06-13-2007, 01:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine View Post
And a voice is automatically worse because it's American?
CORRECT! Although not all American accents are bad (just 90%) this one sounds uncannily like the woman who played the lead in Tunguska. Remember is said 'cheesy'.

What's irrating about the voices isn't that it's worse than the predecessor but that there's no improvement. I was hoping Azil would sound a little more confident in this installment but obviously not.

I really miss the Bazaar merchant's old voice as in the first game he sounded AND looked like the owner of my local computer game store (it's really scary in fact).
Old 06-13-2007, 01:37 PM   #9
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
CORRECT!
Impressive how anti-Americanism these days even goes down to the sound of our voices.

I'm out of this thread, as at this rate it's likely to become a flamewar.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:38 PM   #10

Quote:
CORRECT! Although not all American accents are bad (just 90%) this one sounds uncannily like the woman who played the lead in Tunguska. Remember is said 'cheesy'.
I think the Tunguska lead's voice was higher and whinier, although it's been a while since I've played it for comparison.

You really don't like American accents, do you.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:50 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Impressive how anti-Americanism these days even goes down to the sound of our voices.

I'm out of this thread, as at this rate it's likely to become a flamewar.
I have heard Terramax say he's not fond of American accents before but I didn't perceive it as a general Anti-American sentiment (of course only Terramax knows that) so let's not assume something that may not be there.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
I have heard Terramax say he's not fond of American accents before but I didn't perceive it as a general Anti-American sentiment (of course only Terramax knows that) so let's not assume something that may not be there.
Ah, he's a big daft racist. It's what you're all thinking! You damn Americans, with your thoughts! Come over to our country! Steal our women!

<---I feel that this is the kind of post where this is essential.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:00 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Seriously, let's drop the jokes and banter and talk about the game. I don't want this thread to derail any further.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
(of course only Terramax knows that)
I was joking. I said they were not all bad (I happen to work with one and she's overtly friendly it's scary).

What I don't like are in-your-face, off the wall, steroetypical accents. I find a typical Eastern Asian accents (think the bloke upstairs from Breakfast At Tiffanies) or overtly posh English accents just as annoying.

I like subtle. Unfortunately Thara's voice is not subtle. It draws major attention to itself. Not only is it too loud and high pitched but quite eccentric. I know this is a cartoon adventure and it isn't taking itself too serious I still think it doesn't fit the game's context.

So far I've managed to get to the palace where Olga is sleeping and I need to get some food for a guard to taste in order to get into the kitchen. Thara's three friends on the roof have magically disappeared. Are they supposed to do that?
Old 06-13-2007, 05:57 PM   #15
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
I was joking. I said they were not all bad (I happen to work with one and she's overtly friendly it's scary).

What I don't like are in-your-face, off the wall, steroetypical accents. I find a typical Eastern Asian accents (think the bloke upstairs from Breakfast At Tiffanies) or overtly posh English accents just as annoying.

I like subtle. Unfortunately Thara's voice is not subtle. It draws major attention to itself. Not only is it too loud and high pitched but quite eccentric. I know this is a cartoon adventure and it isn't taking itself too serious I still think it doesn't fit the game's context.
Guess I overreacted a bit. Sorry.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Guess I overreacted a bit. Sorry.
No worries, I go too far sometimes. I'll need to remember that.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:24 AM   #17

Quote:
So far I've managed to get to the palace where Olga is sleeping and I need to get some food for a guard to taste in order to get into the kitchen. Thara's three friends on the roof have magically disappeared. Are they supposed to do that?
The kitchen sequence is probably the worst part of the game - well it was for me at least. You don't need the three blokes though.

Out of interest, could you placate everyone in the bar during the first chapter? I got to a point where there was always one party left ambivalent.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by noknowncure View Post
The kitchen sequence is probably the worst part of the game - well it was for me at least. You don't need the three blokes though.

Out of interest, could you placate everyone in the bar during the first chapter? I got to a point where there was always one party left ambivalent.
That's what it was like when I left. With the joker angry that the table wobbled. I'm guessing you go back to the bar later in the game and have to solve his problem then (along with a few more problems).

I think I've pretty much given up on Ankh 2. I've started Myst III: Exile. Considering I'm terrible at puzzles in 1st person adventures, I still figure I've got a better chance getting to the end of Schism than completeing ANKH Heart of Osiris.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:43 AM   #19

Send a message via MSN to kathrynrose Send a message via Yahoo to kathrynrose
Default Ankh: Heart of Osiris

Just finished the game. What can I say, hmm status quo, no better no worse than the original. It was entertaining, rather like a short vacation for one's mind
Old 07-02-2007, 08:14 AM   #20

I think that one of their problems is that they wear their influences on their sleeves a little too proudly.

They don't just want to be like Monkey Island, they actually want to be Monkey Island.