You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Killing in adventure genre

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2007, 01:21 AM   #21
The name says it all!

Broken Sword! I think you kill someone in every game, or at least the second and third, but could be in the first and forth as well I dont remember and ofcourse Hopkins FBI and not to mention Grimfandango where they die...again (same with Monkey Island).

Getting killed is possible in the Kyrandia games, at least Hands of fate and Malcolms revenge and in early Leisure Suit Larry games and ofcourse the above mentioned games, fair is fair. Allso you can kill and die in Lula 3D and Torins Passage (you can only die), most Sierra Games actually come to think of it. Red Jack is another game where you can kill and get killed and in Largo Winch you can kill and get killed too. Can you die in Beneth A Steal sky? Don't remember?

Last edited by Larry Emmo; 05-23-2007 at 01:29 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:27 AM   #22

I know some people mentioned old Sierra classics. I just have to say it out load: Police Quest. There are some bad guys to shoot!
Old 05-23-2007, 08:54 AM   #23

At certain points during the Last Express you have to kill or you will be killed.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:56 AM   #24
Schättenjager

Neither Stobbart nor Cats murders anyone, dont know what you mean just adding up out of the context.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:43 AM   #25
Banned User

Killing has been with adventure games since the beginning. In King's Quest, Sir Graham invades an old woman's home, lies in wait for her to come home, then pushes her into her own oven where she melts into a blob, and finishes by looting the place.

Not just the only scrap of paper the poor elderly person had, but also the only piece of food. Swiss cheese. All in all, a realistic reflection of medieval knightly heroics.

Simo Sakari Aaltonen
([email protected])

www.adventurecompanion.com
Old 05-23-2007, 11:11 AM   #26
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo Sakari Aaltonen View Post
Killing has been with adventure games since the beginning.

Of course killing has been with adventure games and with in everything since the beginning,but what i pointed out when the character you played choose killing as an option,suppose coz of topic title killing misunderstanted in general way.By the way was Graham the character you played ,then counts.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:37 AM   #27
Banned User

Graham was the character you played in King's Quest. You could choose to not kill the elderly person. In that case you could not get the maximum score, though, as causing her death scored points. So did taking the cheese and the piece of paper.

It was also possible, though frowned upon by the game, to kill the goat, dragon, and giant. But it was possible to complete the game without doing any of these things.

Simo Sakari Aaltonen
(simoadventurecompanion.com)

www.adventurecompanion.com

Last edited by Simo Sakari Aaltonen; 05-23-2007 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Clarity.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:10 PM   #28
Schättenjager

Then doesnt counts.Looks like Dreamfall counts only adv?allows killing directly by forces player with taking action, other titles that happens indirect way,
for BR leaves no option at just one point but you suppose to kill reps. not humans.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Then doesnt counts.Looks like Dreamfall counts only adv?allows killing directly by forces player with taking action, other titles that happens indirect way.
You kill the ghosts directly with the voodoo root beer in the Secret of Monkey Island.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:53 PM   #30
Schättenjager

Dont trivialize genres merits.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:59 PM   #31
Under pressure.

Did anyone mention Hopkins FBI yet? A terrible game, by the way.

And Titanic: Adventure Out of Time. At the end.

--Erwin
Old 05-23-2007, 02:20 PM   #32

The old King's Quest games seemed to make a virtue out of killing you, the main character in silly ways, like 'oh, let the game counts the way, you can die' or something like that. If you didn't do something the game wanted you to, you would die.

Spoiler:
In one game, you could fall down from a tree, I think. In another game, you should be really carefull jumping into the sea. And in yet another game, the end would come if you went around a certain hill the wrong way. It was really very annoying, especially since there didn't seem to be any logical explanation in the game for this...

As for the main character killing other people

Spoiler:
in Broken Sword 1 or 2, I think, you need to kill some bad guys to finish the game. And then there's the goat puzzle, of course, but here you just need to knock the goat unconscious, I think. However, in a very very unlogical way imo
Old 05-23-2007, 02:42 PM   #33
eXo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Then doesnt counts.Looks like Dreamfall counts only adv?allows killing directly by forces player with taking action, other titles that happens indirect way,
for BR leaves no option at just one point but you suppose to kill reps. not humans.
Did you even bother to read my previous post?

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - you kill people, as many as you want, but at least 1 is necessary

I Have No Mouth and i Must Scream - you kill people

Hell - you kill people

Conquest of Camelot - you slay the black knight, and the saracen - both are direct choices and must eb done to complete the game

Quest for Glory Series - you kill all sorts of things and peole as the fighter

Kings Quest 6 - in a sword fight you slay a person

Neverhood - you kill people, although you do it by using robot bill

goblins 3 - you go through an entire screen killing trolls in the second screen of the game

broken sword 1 - you push a guy off a train

I could go on and on, these are just games I am glancing at. I remember shooting guys in space quest as well.

So no, dreamfall is definitely not the only game, and killing seems to be quite common in these games if you ask me.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:03 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobske View Post
The best killing in an adventure game is done in The Dreamweb!

In The Dreamweb you:

Spoiler:

- Blow a rockstar's brains out while he's doing the nasty
- Slaughter his body guard with an axe
- Crush a tv celeb with a big box on live tv
- Blow up a successful business women. You get to finish her off while she
tries to drag her legless carcass to safety
- Get to lure a madman onto traintracks and see him get run over by the
passing train.
- Get wasted by tons of policemen!

Now, try to top that

The Dreamweb is a dark and disturbing adventure game with a cool setting and a pretty good adult story.

Play it if you can find it!
i can't agree more!!!
Old 05-23-2007, 03:55 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXo View Post
I could go on and on, these are just games I am glancing at. I remember shooting guys in space quest as well.
You can shoot people in Space Quest: The Sarien Encounter, but it isn't required to complete the game.

However, you are required to kill a guard with a gas grenade.

And in Space Quest II, you are required to kill an alien beast and bring a piece of it's remains back as proof that you did the act. You also kill a guard in Space Quest II by slinging a rock at his head, causing him to fall headfirst off of a patrol tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo Sakari Aaltonen View Post
Killing has been with adventure games since the beginning. In King's Quest, Sir Graham invades an old woman's home, lies in wait for her to come home, then pushes her into her own oven where she melts into a blob, and finishes by looting the place.
Yep. Killing has been around since literally the beginning of adventure games. In Adventure (or ADVENT, or Collosal Cave Adventure, or whatever you wish to call it), which was the first adventure game (and where the genre got it's name), you are required to kill a dwarf with an axe.

You also slay a dragon in the game.

Last edited by CaptainDread; 05-25-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:39 AM   #36

Does
Spoiler:
sprouting Hector
in Grim Fandango count?
Old 05-27-2007, 09:40 AM   #37

Come on, if we're honest, all games - computer or otherwise - involve death.

At least when I play.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:58 AM   #38

I can think of plenty of times where you are killed in adventure games, but not many where you do the killing. There's the Indiana Jones games of course. I think you do some killing in Conquests of the Longbow, or the Quest for Glory series.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:26 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwapitm View Post
I think you do some killing in Conquests of the Longbow, or the Quest for Glory series.
There's a lot of scenes involving you killing things in the Sierra adventure games.

It's probably the designers releasing all their repressed anger from the multiple player deaths and dead-ends in the Sierra games.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:56 PM   #40
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXo View Post
Kings Quest 6 - in a sword fight you slay a person
I'd just like to point out here that Alexander categorically does not end the swordfight by killing his opponent. Rather he hits him over the head with the hilt, knocking him unconscious, and in a few minutes the villain is led off by guards for medical treatment!