You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What are your game strengths and weaknesses?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2007, 01:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSuitedLooney View Post
Is there a problem with the forums? I keep recieving these "updates" saying new messages have been posted...and they seem to be working backwards! ie, I got the one for Alucard's message BEFORE the one for JemyM's, which came BEFORE that one. Weird, huh?
You can unsubscribe to threads you've subscribed to from your subscription list. And if the whole subscription / notification system annoys you (the notifications aren't turned on by default, so you asked for them at one point! ), you can remove the notifications or subscription in your option page.

(as for the inverted chronology for the updates, that's probably just the Internet going crazy)
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 04-12-2007, 02:51 PM   #22
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

no, that wasn't the problem...I like getting the updates. But what was happening was they were sent out of order. So I wondered if there were forum troubles.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:05 PM   #23

I enjoy inventory puzzles, verbal puzzles, and ok with many other puzzle types. I don't like mathematical puzzles as much but still can solve them. I absolutely hate slider puzzles. The easier ones are ok, but if they get complicated I lose patience with them. I tend to enjoy third-person inventory based adventures more than Myst-style ones.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:31 PM   #24

rule at logical or inventory puzzles. sucks at pixel-hunting. have no ear whatsoever for musical puzzles and im Alergic to first-person adventures.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:45 AM   #25
Passion Adventurist

Send a message via MSN to Hysteria

When I really focus on the game, I can do anything (except that pick lock puzzle from Still Life as Gus), and when I'm not...I can't do simple things.
I love exploring, and when I'm in the mood (focused) I'm winning, but when I get bored...oh, brother...walkthrough helps a lot, that's all I'm gonna say.
Wishlist: Belief & Betrayal, Gabriel Knight Series, Black Dahlia ...
Old 04-13-2007, 05:08 AM   #26
Roman5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
When I really focus on the game, I can do anything (except that pick lock puzzle from Still Life as Gus), and when I'm not...I can't do simple things.
I love exploring, and when I'm in the mood (focused) I'm winning, but when I get bored...oh, brother...walkthrough helps a lot, that's all I'm gonna say.
If it's any consolation, I also couldn't do that pick lock puzzle without help, and I definitely couldn't do the one in post mortem. Still have to pick up from where I left off in post mortem, I got stuck mixing some chemicals and deciphering some words.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:11 AM   #27
King Silly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
Same here, the only part in Still Life I needed to use help ( edit: and that slider puzzle in that cave of dirty sex). I got the blue and yellow ones down easily, but things started to go to hell after that and I lost it.

AND I thought that would've only been the beginning of lockpicking puzzles in that game, started by the easiest one. Glad it wasn't so.

Last edited by MikaelS; 04-13-2007 at 05:23 AM.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:37 AM   #28

I'm not exactly tone-deaf, but I'm not an audio-orientated person and have never had musical training, so anything relying on music is extra hard work. It would be impossible for my husband, who is almost totally deaf.

(And game makers should realise that there are an awful lot of people who are deaf or hard of hearing. The option of subtitled speech should be mandatory. The organ puzzle in Shivers is an excellent example of how a sound-based puzzle can be "subtitled" to make it visual.)

There are particular types of classic puzzles I just can't do, in real life or in computer simulation. Sliding tiles and peg-jumping solitaire leap to mind. At least solitaire has been mathematically analysed and you can look up a solution. When it comes to sliders, I usually end up clicking at random. It's surprising how often that works (eventually).

I'm also absolute crap at arithmetic. Higher mathematics and logic, fine, but don't ask me to add numbers in my head.

What I really love is working out something and finding the underlying logic or pattern. One thing that springs to mind is the flipper puzzle in Shivers. I sketched out how the flippers were connected and discovered it was the equivalent of a simple pathway problem - obvious in the form of a network sketch, not at all obvious as a set of flippers. I was quite chuffed at that.

And basically that "aha!" moment when you spot something that's logical (in game terms) but not obvious. Such as inventory puzzles when something is used in a way you didn't expect.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:19 PM   #29
Strategy Guide Author

My biggest weakness is overlooking an item or entrance to a new location. Such as perhaps an opening to a trap door or an inventory object that really isn't that hard to spot. Not pixel-hunting just overlooking. Usually if I resort to looking at a clue/walkthrough, I'm hitting myself on the forehead wondering how I missed that new location or object.