You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Penumbra: Overture

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2007, 12:20 PM   #1

Default Penumbra: Overture

I finished Penumbra: Overture last weekend and I'm somewhat surprised there is little buzz about the game over here. Despite looking like a classic survival horror action game, it's a true 1st-person adventure, with rather brilliant storytelling, an eerie atmosphere and both inventory and physics-based puzzles. Almost no fighting is needed, and the realistic physics really bring a new dimension to the concept of puzzles in an adventure game.

This is one of the most immersive games I've played and a fresh breath of air for the future of adventure gaming.

So... why is everyone so shy about it?
Old 04-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciere View Post
I finished Penumbra: Overture last weekend and I'm somewhat surprised there is little buzz about the game over here. Despite looking like a classic survival horror action game, it's a true 1st-person adventure, with rather brilliant storytelling, an eerie atmosphere and both inventory and physics-based puzzles. Almost no fighting is needed, and the realistic physics really bring a new dimension to the concept of puzzles in an adventure game.

This is one of the most immersive games I've played and a fresh breath of air for the future of adventure gaming.

I didn't enjoy a PC game that much since Chaser or Gothic II. I just finished it today by the way.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
Easily amused

Quote:
For me, I'm not interested in keyboard control and/or any mention of action.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:02 AM   #4
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane

I'm intrigued, did it just come out or something?
Old 04-05-2007, 08:31 AM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to Nautilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciere View Post
I would like to try it, but unfortunately GeForce4MX video chipset is not supported.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:16 AM   #6

I just finished it today and I must say that it is A+ adventure! It has everything to become a classic: great story, scary atmosphere, best puzzles I'd seen in some time and it shows that adventures can have modern gameplay and graphics. I can't wait for episode 2!
Old 04-14-2007, 04:46 AM   #7
Chicken with a bite

Quote:
Almost no fighting is needed
That's my problem. Almost no is too much.
I downloaded the demo and had so much trouble with throwing rocks at stuff and hitting stationary objects like barrels with a hammer, that I don't even want to think about encountering enemies in this game. I was impressed with the physics and really liked how bottles roll around on the ship's deck, but the action is impossible for me to handle so I am not going to play to full game.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:31 AM   #8
ssa

I had the impression it was something like Alone in the Dark 4, which they called an adventure game, but it was more like an action with adventure elements.

Now I dont know what to think?
Old 04-16-2007, 08:51 AM   #9

I've not picked up the full game yet, but I played the demo and thought the concept was fantastic. Seemed to be pretty well executed too. And it ended on such a horrible teaser. Definitely gonna pick this up in the next week.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:53 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

Well the game doesn't release in U.S. stores until after May 7, but I am really intrigued by the dynamic physics and gameplay. Too bad my video card is not up to par. The demo ran okay (until near the end), but looking at videos I can see there are much more graphic intensive areas that my computer won't be able to handle. This is probably my most hyped adventure game of the year (if only I could play it!).
Old 04-23-2007, 01:55 AM   #11

I loved the game for its atmosphere, clever puzzles and wonderful use of its physics engine.

However i truly hated it for its combat system. Combat goes one of two ways for me. Either i hit an enemy and it just stays on the floor while i whomp it continually, or it it happens to have noticed me at any point i flail wildly as i try and rotate to it as it uses a cunning tactic that i have little way to counter. It walks around me. I am a relativly good gamer, ive played lots of first person games and none have ever made me as angry as this one game. Dying over and over when you find a single dog that you know is there and know exactly where it comes from does not in any way maintain suspense or a feeling of enjoyment.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:10 AM   #12

About COMBAT in this game:
I think that all of you have misunderstood the whole thing. I believe that creators of the game intended that we fight clever with that dogs or just sneak past them. Game has great stealth system and you can trick dogs with food either to lure them in traps or to get them away from you. Well, that's MHO.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:24 PM   #13

I must admit I'm not too much into giving it a try even though there are several mirrors to the demo version on the site. I remember when I played Half-life the first time, the "intro" that you played through before you got your first weapon when the game actually turned into a FPS kind of game made me think in the terms of what it would be like to play a "puzzle-adventure" game in this manner. A thought I have abandoned. But I did spot a bottle of Jack Daniel's on one of the screenshots so I suppose the game can't be that bad, heh.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:57 AM   #14
Staff Member

Helja, Penumbra does have a few action elements, but it's definitely not like Half-Life. The game is mostly about puzzles, and pretty fun. Worth checking out. Besides, you can do cool stuff such as picking up and throwing that bottle of jack and watching it smash.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:01 PM   #15

So the action element is really like Silent Hill and Dreamfall (sneaking and some fighting)?
Old 05-02-2007, 10:34 AM   #16

You can choose how you take care of the enemy. I've finished the game without killing a single enemy (okay, I killed a spider, so sue me ). Sure, you can choose to use the hammer to smash in some brains, but that almost always leads to a certain death. Smashing the hammer is easy, it just takes some time getting used too. But the other, more fun, way is to just sneak past him. It is very suspenseful to follow their paths and avoid them by staying in the dark. But you can also try to lure them away or trick them. An example. Open a cage, throw some beef in the cage. The enemy run in the cage to eat it. Then close the door, use the crate to block it and have a free walk. Or pick up a stone, throw it in one direction and walk the other way, while the enemy is checking out the rock.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meche View Post
So the action element is really like Silent Hill and Dreamfall (sneaking and some fighting)?
I finished playing Dreamfall yesterday and trust me Penumbra's action elements are too easy, whereas Dreamfall sucked. Infact, dogs are slower and you can even run past them and they give up soon. Spiders are a bit tougher, but;
Spoiler:
They are afraid of your flashlight.

All in all, I liked Penumbra more than Dreamfall as a "Point'n'Click" adventure game. Of course, it is only my humble opinion. Moreover, I had great hopes for Dream fall and it didn't live up to it.

Cheers....
Old 05-08-2007, 08:09 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

There is a good review of the game here: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/penumbra/review.html
Old 05-15-2007, 05:17 PM   #19

Default Penumbra Thoughts?

So anyone have an opinion on this yet? I'm considering purchasing and have heard really strong feelings both pro and anti about it.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:24 PM   #20
Headbanger

I think it sounds great and will buy it as soon as I have time to play it.