You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2007, 01:29 PM   #21
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant View Post
I can't believe what ppl see in the new Sam n Max.

- It's not funny
- Too short
- Too easy
- Ugly graphics (if you compare with other new adventure games)
- overall just clain boredness.
O yeah,you currently playing GK3 and bitchin bout Sam n Max Ugly graphics&boredness lol are you from planet earth,play BS4 then sure suits you better
Old 01-31-2007, 01:46 PM   #22

Yes it is very Amerocentric, but I've always felt that one of the things about Sam and Max games were all the little digs at Americana. Hit the Road went and made fun of the tourist traps you're liable to run across on any road trip, and poked fun at things like chain convenience/rest stops, Woody Allen, and Elvis Presley--things I feel you'd have to be an American to understand the second layer of satirical humor over the first layer of wacky absurdness.

I do think that the Telltale games feel as if the satirical aspects are more emphasized--probably a good thing considering the difficulty of creating wacky animations when a smartly written piece of dialog can do as good or better in the laughs department, but yeah--the new focus may make it less accessible--digs at American sitcoms, celebrityism, gambling, and all the popular Mafia stuff in American culture aren't probably as funny to other audiences; heck, even the 4th episode seems to revolve around Abe Lincoln, which every American is familiar with since childhood (and the assorted tall/fairy tales about him), but I'm really not sure how much international audiences would know about him. The wacky and the absurd is very much there, but it's not much of a stretch to say that there are American references in a lot of these stories.

But what can you do? De-focus the American satire edge and focus on wacky and absurd? I feel as if a large part of Sam and Max's American audience already expects this type of satirical edge, and removing it then just makes them like other wacky/absurd anthropomorphic duos like Pinky and the Brain or Ren and Stimpy.

Last edited by numble; 01-31-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:50 PM   #23

It's just a freakin' game! Don't read into it so much.....geez....
Old 01-31-2007, 01:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meche View Post
It's just a freakin' game! Don't read into it so much.....geez....
Hey, I like the game, I'm just responding to somebody's remarks that they feel that the jokes weren't geared as much towards international audiences, and offering a sort-of explanation for why it is Amerocentric.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:16 PM   #25

oh....sorry, numble.....
Old 02-01-2007, 06:55 AM   #26

The problem with short episodes is that you can't have many puzzles/items.. and an abundance of items/puzzles at a time are part of what makes a game challenging...
Old 02-01-2007, 10:41 AM   #27
Baddest Badguy Ever

My biggest problem with episodic games is that they are too short. I know that you get what you pay for, but I guess I am saying I would rather pay more to get longer episodes.

I am currently playing S&M Hit the Road on the DS before I play the new episodes. I do have Gametap and I plan on playing all the episodes that are released (hopefully 4 of them at that point) to work around my dislike of really short episodes. We will see how that works.

Cheers,
Stain