You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2007, 02:58 AM   #1
Banned User

Default Sam n Max

I can't believe what ppl see in the new Sam n Max.

- It's not funny
- Too short
- Too easy
- Ugly graphics (if you compare with other new adventure games)
- overall just clain boredness.
Looking forward to: Operation Wintersun, Simon The Sorcerer 4
Gonna play next: Kings Quest 6 or Gabriel Knight 1
Old 01-31-2007, 03:54 AM   #2
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Oh this should be good.

*gets popcorn*
Old 01-31-2007, 05:22 AM   #3

Long time reader, first time poster. If I may:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant
- It's not funny
Humour is subjective. In your opinion, it isn't funny. In the opinion of myself (and apparently many others who rate the new games highly), it is *very* funny.
Quote:
- Too short
You have a point about the length of the games. However, it's a point without merit as the games are *meant* to be short. I'll admit that I wish they were are little longer in places, but there's generally enough dialogue to explore that pushes it out to an acceptable length. You have to remember that the new games are episodic, and if you add them all up (length and price) you'll see that you're actually getting more hours per pound (or dollar, or whatever you barter with in your country) than most new adventure games.
Quote:
- Too easy
My only bugbear with the new games. I can see *why* they are easy, as Telltale are trying to capture not only the old hardcore adventure game market, but also new customers who would be put off by an overly difficult or obscure game. I'd like to see a difficulty option in season 2... whether that's feasible or not, I don't know.
Quote:
Graphics are overrated. Sam and Max is a highly stylised franchise, and I think the quality of graphics and animation is superb. Lip-synching works flawlessly, and the simple models and graphics give it a suitably cartoony quality. Plus the games come in at less than 100 Mb, which makes them accessible to just about everyone.
Quote:
Again, an entirely subjective comment. Sam and Max is primarily about the humour, and if you don't find it funny then you're unlikely to be riveted solely by the storyline.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:59 AM   #4
Grah! Grah!

The complaint about shortness baffles me. They're cheap, episodic and a damn sight longer than I expected. Based on the two so far they'll probably add up to around 15 hours, which is a fair bit longer than any game I've purchased in a decent while, adventure or otherwise. The difficulty complaint has to me always seemed to stem from confusion between cock size and your level of adeptness at adventure game puzzles (admittedly some of the puzzles in the first episode seemed too straightforward for Sam & Max's logic though otherwise I don't understand the issue.) But that's just me.

The graphics are rather nice to my eyes, particularly the animations, but I'm not sure that kind of thing can be argued constructively.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:36 AM   #5
Vigilant

I agree with Tyrant. I was looking forward to a much more fullfilling adventure than what I recieved in these two episodes thus far.

Comedy may be subjective, but if Sam & Max were performing a comedy routine, you could be sure as hell they wouldn't walk out of the place without a few tomato stains on them. The jokes were poorly timed and hardly international so-to-speak if they were indeed trying to branch out and grab "new" fans from across the globe. I have no problem with some great contemperary refrences but it is hard for a foreigner to comprehend jokes like these and then feel entertained throughout the rest of the game without feeling patronized by jokes that he or she just do not get.

Now, I wouldn't have a problem if the episodes were to short IF the game had a challenge to it, but nay, the game had to be easy and short. These two qualities tend to create an even briefer game than with just one or the other. I even took the time to click on every single possible dialouge choice and background item I could find and still found the experiences of the two games to be three hours TOPS. If they continue this strict regiment of childsplay they will end up with 3+3+3+3+3+3=18 hours of gameplay for all 6 episodes. Didn't they promise 5 hourse each? I don't know about you all, but I was looking for something a little more.....filling?

Graphics are overrated and superficial; they go in and out with the times. Regardless, I did enjoy the colorful and in some instances well layed out backgrounds and characters. They did a good job in the respect.

Boredom, as xyphic pointed out, will manifest if the humor is bland. This game is clearly humor oriented and thus was painful to complete to a person that has heard better cracks on the back of a cereal box.

I bought the package deal so I am in for the whole ride. I clearly made a mistake in doing so but hopefully these game will get better before they get worse. I will say that the second episode did play better than the first so perhaps my wishes are not a far cry.

Last edited by TangentBlack; 01-31-2007 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Name Change
Old 01-31-2007, 06:52 AM   #6
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant View Post
I can't believe what ppl see in the new Sam n Max.

- It's not funny
- Too short
- Too easy
To each his own. Personally, I thought the humor fit in perfectly with the premise of Sam&Max.

The "season" is just that. You might purchase a whole season of a half-hour show for 20 bucks and think you got a great deal. Similiarly, gamers buy the season of Sam&Max for 39 bucks or there around, a good 16 or 17 hours of gameplay, (more if you take the time to find the easter eggs, and whatnot) which is about the same deal as buying 12 or 13 hours of a TV show for $29.99.

Too easy? Let's face it, you don't buy an episodic series because you're expecting each episode to be a Safecracker-esque brain teaser. If you do, you're going to be disappointed. A lot.

As for the graphics, this just confirms what the rest of what you said suggested: you're missing the point of the game, literally. No, this is not Tunguska. The graphics aren't designed to be realistic, only to capture the feel of the S&M world. As for them being boring, players found them to be anything but, as is summed up in what I and others have said.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:00 AM   #7
Banned User

Yeah that's my point.

I think its humor for children. You know, the kinda "violence is fun humor" Well violence is fun but not in that way. They just talk alot of gibberish I think.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:02 AM   #8
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post

As for the graphics, this just confirms what the rest of what you said suggested: you're missing the point of the game, literally. No, this is not Tunguska. The graphics aren't designed to be realistic, only to capture the feel of the S&M world. As for them being boring, players found them to be anything but, as is summed up in what I and others have said.
Well no. Just pointed out that I don't like ANYTHING of Sam n Max 2...
Old 01-31-2007, 07:12 AM   #9
Ronin

Are these complaints coming from fans of the original Sam 'n Max Hit the Road?
Old 01-31-2007, 07:32 AM   #10
Banned User

yup
Old 01-31-2007, 08:00 AM   #11

Oh.... well, still, it's the same kind of humor mostly... And, apparently, absurdism isn't for everyone, even though it definitely isn't for children.

I for one think that Sam and Max are genuinely funny.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:18 AM   #12
marsan

I thought the first episode was rather funny. Surely a good pilot. I felt episode two got a bit repeative of the first episode, so I am excited about episode three. I hope they introduce some new places and more dialog... and some other changes in the next episode. I am getting bored of the people near sam & max's office, and the soda poppers were not that funny. Well, funny for one episode... but two episodes were a bit too much.

I don't regret buying this season, but if the rest of the episodes get as repeative as the second episode I doubt I'll buy the second season(if they make a second season).

Anyway. No point in bashing telltalegames. I am just so happy that I live to see another sam & max game. I really missed those crazy animals.

---

Sam: I'm thinking of a number between one and ten, and... I don't know why.
Max: Me too.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:49 AM   #13
LA-S-LE

The second one is actually very funny. The first was so-so, and the third is pretty crappy. Surprisingly, all of them are very different. But I agree with the comment, bad tendency. Looks like Tellatle is out of ideas now..
Old 01-31-2007, 09:20 AM   #14

I'm holding out until the entire season is released, and I'll buy the whole thing at once. I bet I'll get more out of it that way. I did play a demo, and I thought the game looked fantastic. Who cares how it compares to other contemporary adventures? If you haven't noticed, a lot of those games stink.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:46 AM   #15
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Didn't they promise 5 hourse each?
No, you're thinking of Bone. Telltale said all along that the Sam & Max episodes would be shorter than The Great Cow Race (which was a 4-6 hour game).
Old 01-31-2007, 10:48 AM   #16
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Type View Post
Looks like Tellatle is out of ideas now..
This thread is already gold with only a little over a dozen posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
No, you're thinking of Bone. Telltale said all along that the Sam & Max episodes would be shorter than The Great Cow Race (which was a 4-6 hour game).
Dan actually dropped the "one to two hour" bomb in an interview around E3. The episodes have actually been longer than that, on average.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:45 AM   #17
Lovable rogue

I'm glad to discover I'm not the only one who didn't like the new Sam and Max.

I found the story uninteresting, the humour unfunny, and I didn't care for the peripheral characters at all.

I actually had to force myself to finish Culture Shock, playing it felt like a chore.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 01-31-2007, 12:36 PM   #18
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapstorm View Post
Are these complaints coming from fans of the original Sam 'n Max Hit the Road?
LOL, my thoughts exactly! It's hilarious!

To be honest, I'm still quite surprised about the popularity of Sam and Max today. I never expected the massive outcry after LucasArts cancellation, either. In my memory, gamers were much more divided about ''Hit The Road'' a few years back. People either hated it, or loved it. And I got to meet quite a lot of haters, let me tell you.

(I totally adore the games and the comics, by the way).

--Erwin
Old 01-31-2007, 12:36 PM   #19

First time poster.

The Ep3 song was worth the price of admission.

Also, FYI, you can play them all, once released, for ~$10 on Gametap, of course.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:14 PM   #20

Well, I'm one of the few who really love Sam n Max - I've played the original way back in the day, and just loved the humor and the far fetched adventure. I'm having so much fun with these new episodes - it's definitely something you love or hate. IMO.