You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gamespot Interview: Jane Jensen on Gray Matter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2007, 05:12 AM   #21
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Hehh, excellent point Dasilva.

The game is looking good, or more so the artwork is looking very good.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:11 AM   #22
Ronin

And yet, Gabriel Knight seemed to attract a good following.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:03 AM   #23
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

So? The point of that sentence is what?

Gabriel Knight has never had cartoon graphics, the first one had the most realistic 2d graphics at the time, GK2 is FMV, you can't get much more realistic than that and GK3 is realistic graphic done in 3D, not cartoon.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:15 AM   #24

I think Crapstorm was suggesting that the style of GK1 was inspired by graphic novels. Perhaps "hand drawn" had been a better choice of word than "cartoon". I never understood why game companies always make lovely, hand drawn concept art for games and then insist on turning it into dull, pre-rendered backgrounds. I would love to play a game where the graphics looked exactly like the new concept sketches for Gray Matter.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:27 PM   #25

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

Thank you, yes.. that summed up what I was trying to say, very nicely.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:50 PM   #26
Ronin

I concur as well. More hand-drawn adventure games, please.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:54 PM   #27

I don't mind the pre-rendered backdrop as long as it's done well. The Longest Journey maintained its atmosphere while using this method. I think Jane's team will be able to as well. I'm looking forward to exploring the grounds of Dread Hill mansion!
Old 03-04-2007, 01:04 AM   #28
Wading down the amazon

Send a message via MSN to makini

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
I don't mind the pre-rendered backdrop as long as it's done well.
Me neither, actually I love that kind of background. I think that is actually what makes old games like the BS series special.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:34 AM   #29

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

I havent played Broken Sword in awhile, but i believe they were hand drawn...
does anyone else notice how longest journey looks like crap now, while gabriel knight 1 still looks amazing.... hahaha... im so biased its not even funny
Old 03-04-2007, 11:45 AM   #30
Wading down the amazon

Send a message via MSN to makini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owskie View Post
I havent played Broken Sword in awhile, but i believe they were hand drawn...
Oh yes, of course they were handdrawn in BS, sorry - I mixed up the expressions!
Old 03-04-2007, 12:10 PM   #31

The great thing is, when you go and play these hand drawn ones, they hardly feel as old as the ones they made with graphics do.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:40 PM   #32

I disagree. The only thing that has let The Longest Journey down slightly is its resolution (which hand drawn games usually share) and the 3D character models. Otherwise it has aged extremely well.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:31 PM   #33

Well, it looks like we are going to have to disagree on that, because TLJ looks like crap now.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:51 PM   #34

That's a huge call. Okay, we'll agree to disagree.

Last edited by D.C.; 03-04-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:36 PM   #35

i appreciate your arguement with your screenshots, haha
but i know what the game looks like, i just beat it for the first time a few months back here. While its not crappy looking as Gabriel Knight 3 or what ever, it still lacks the warmth and feeling of a good hand drawn game.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:38 PM   #36

Awww man. You just dissed GK3. My all-time favourite game. This means war. Despite graphics aging I still think both games have kept their atmosphere and appeal. But I thought we agreed to disagree!
Old 03-05-2007, 03:07 PM   #37

Forgive my blinding ignorance but what games besides the GK series has Jan Jensen done?
Old 03-05-2007, 03:11 PM   #38
Super Moderator

IMDB profile

Old 03-05-2007, 03:20 PM   #39
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owskie View Post
i appreciate your arguement with your screenshots, haha
but i know what the game looks like, i just beat it for the first time a few months back here. While its not crappy looking as Gabriel Knight 3 or what ever, it still lacks the warmth and feeling of a good hand drawn game.
Ooh, bad comment, you. You seem to place the entire value of a game solely on the visual aesthetics when you (and we) know for a fact that the graphics is merely part of the sum - an important part, but still merely a part.

You need to assess the game's concepts, guts, and execution, given what slice of technology was chosen and why. What do you mean by 'warmth and feeling of a good hand drawn game'? Does hand drawn necessarily equate a more involving game for the player? What about games that eschew that kind of graphics in favour of highly stylized, yet humanistically developed chracters and sense of time and place as emphatic narrative features?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-05-2007, 03:39 PM   #40

Oh no, no, no... dont get me wrong. I love TLJ, really I do. I was commenting on the backgrounds soley. I much prefer the warmth of a hand drawn background to what TLJ however. To me, the backgrounds of TLJ feel "plastic" now, while TLJ was an amazing game.