You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure I actually finished Gilbert Goodmate! What about you?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2007, 04:10 AM   #21
Under pressure.

So only serious games aren't rubbish?

--Erwin
Old 01-06-2007, 09:47 AM   #22
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

I don't think there's a need to pick apart everything she says. She's just not very fond of the game. Taking into consideration her sig, avatar and previous posts where she mentions liking Sam & Max, having hardly played Gabriel Knight and not liking Sanitarium, it's clear she isn't an anti-comedy fanatic.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:53 AM   #23
Under pressure.

Well, she's quite vague about why she hates the game, so naturally I'm wondering if she might generally dislike comedy games.

--Erwin
Old 01-06-2007, 11:32 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonchi View Post
I don't think there's a need to pick apart everything she says. She's just not very fond of the game. Taking into consideration her sig, avatar and previous posts where she mentions liking Sam & Max, having hardly played Gabriel Knight and not liking Sanitarium, it's clear she isn't an anti-comedy fanatic.
I just happen to feel sorry for people who read these threads trying to figure out whether a game is worth playing or not. I would tend to think that if a game is found to be 'hilarious' and was worth completing '3 times', then it likely isn't 'rubbish' and is worth more than 'diddly squat'.

Gilbert Goodmate is a comedy, a cartoon adventure. It's meant to be funny, hilarious and not to be taken too seriously ie. it's about a stolen mushroom! It's not up there with the LucusArts games, but in it's own way it's fairly clever. The biggest justifiable complaint (IMO) is its bugginess. That didn't affect me because I played the PocketPC port- that I would highly recommend if people have the hardware!

Last edited by SirDave; 01-06-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:32 AM   #25
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

I thought Gilbert was fun... not in the upper echelon of adventures but certainly no slouch. I always thought there was something very hilarious about the voice work - especially Gilbert.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:12 PM   #26
The Ultimate Insult

Hell no. I dont dislike comedy games, I love them. I love MI, I love Grim fandango, I love Discworld, I love DOTT/Sam n max. Im a big fan of Lucasarts.
I just .. Gilbert was a bit low budget in my opinion, the art was cheap looking, the voice acting was .. ok. The storyline was a bit childish, just not up to my standard.

Oh and I like sanitarium, I think its ultra cool, I just cant play it properly which is annoying. It is a bit freaky though.
As for 'serious' games.. well theres SH; Pearl earring, I personally thought that was slightly irritant and personally a little rubbish. But oh well.

If you want really rubbish games, my top list is 'SH; Mystery of the mummy' and 'mystery of the druids'.
Both have a really rubbish interface and to be frank, mystery was one of the most IRRITATING games ever. It was confusing, glitchy, not easy to pick up and there was no set base line so I didnt know where to go or what to do.

You can imagine how annoyed I was when I played the demo on that disk of Moment of Silence and found it to be awesome. Yet I have never seen the game in store again. (It was one of the ones I was waiting for to go down in price when I went back to buy mystery and it wasnt there.)

So yeah, I was majorly annoyed.

Currently playing; CSI Deadly Intent, Tales Of Monkey Island Ep 1
Recently finished;Secret Files Puritas Cordis, Prof Layton and Pandora's Box
Eagerly anticipating;Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe new world, Nearly Departed
Old 01-08-2007, 01:19 AM   #27

Quote:
Gilbert was a bit low budget in my opinion
It would help if you knew what you were talking about!
Gilbert Goodmate was a very expensive production... and more or less bankrupted the excellent start-up company.
{{ Amongst other things, almost all of the PROFESSIONAL voice actors (who were not just good but SUPERB) were expensive. }}

N.B. BTW... What's happened to your British sense of humour ?
Childish... yes. Since I'm 82 y.o. I must be in my 2nd (or more likely 3rd) chidhood !!!
Old 01-08-2007, 11:55 PM   #28
Fulci lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
Strange, the going rate here is €7 ...
My local Ã…hlens has several copies of Gilbert Goodmate for 30kr.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:48 AM   #29
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

I agree regarding that the animation was poor, compared to the backgrounds. In the PC version, pink spots also showed up. I just wish they'd put a little more work into the PC version, as they did in the Mac version (which GG actually was meant to be played on).

Too bad they got bankrupted, though (as the end left room for a sequel..).
I also think the cutscenes could have been drawn in 2D as well, and not be made in 3D. Redrawn maybe.

Even though it's comedy, I think it would be a lot better if there was a better storyline to it. I couldn't really understand the point with the mushroom in the end.

Oh, and the local versions was really, really poor... Bought the norwegian version as well, but the whole translation was poor. It made me positive to go back to the english version and play it through though.

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games
Old 01-09-2007, 01:29 PM   #30

What surprises me is not that Gilbert Goodmate is receiving some criticism- after all, it wasn't perfect- but that the criticism is so extreme. You would think that it was in the running for an Academy Award for adventure games. All this stuff about 'animation is poor compared to the backgrounds', 'cutscenes drawn in 2D as well' plus my gripes about an earlier post on the same subject.

Certainly GG didn't make it into the rarified atmosphere of the best of the LucasArts games, but things like the animation were no worse than the later Monkey Island games and some of the dialogue had some of the same clever humour. Al Elmmo has been getting some of the same rather over-the-top (unwarranted IMO) criticism. These are cartoon adventures- whatever are people expecting from this sub-genre.....too much IMO!